My experience going from Widex to Oticon to Starkey trial

That will be my first question when I go back to audi in 2 weeks. If she can get this amplified sound of voices minimized, probably won’t go back to moments.

Oticon’s speakers are just a little larger than Widex. This is causing the left dome to cause discomfort after 10 minutes or so and also works it way out after I move my jaw talking or eating. I can tell when it has come out some because sound starts to echo more. Not sure what can be done about it other than custom molds maybe. Not sure smaller size domes will help because I think it’s closing down on the speaker when pushed in the same as the right.

Looking at your audiogram I would think custom earmolds would be best.
They stay put too.

2 Likes

I would recommend that you get ear molds regardless of which hearing aids you choose

2 Likes

If custom molds have vents is the occlusion about the same as domes?

From my experience if the vents are correct I notice no occlusion

1 Like

That’s good to know. I’m bothered by occlusion easily.

Does audi determine the vent size

It is my understanding it is by the fitting software for your Audiogram

So I’ll be hoping for the largest vent possible that won’t cause problems with my hearing ability.

Your low frequency hearing is worse than mine and I have .6mm vents. Which is about the size of a large needle. My middle frequencies are a little worse than yours and your high frequencies are worse than mine. So I really don’t know what size vents you can have. My Audi has told me that the better the low frequencies the larger the vents, but I am not sure how that rates with the over all hearing loss. And your hearing loss is almost flat so that may mean a very small vent normally. Hopefully someone here can give you better understanding than me.

Pending on which domes/molds selected and the gain needed for your loss will decided what size vent is needed.
Each of those items play a part on how the aids are set up.
Maybe one of the pros will chime in for a better answer to your vent size question.

I have updated my opening thread post to clarify very little wind noise at 30mph or less.

We drove to Reelfoot Lake today in the Jeep. Took the scenic route, average speed 45. Considerable wind noise as one would expect. I had to lower the volume down to -6 but I could still hear the wife. We ate fish at one of the restaurant’s there and the OPN’s handled the noise well I thought. I used the noise program the audi set up. I could hear my wife and 2 year old grandson very well over the mostly crowded, dish clanking restaurant. I had trouble with the soft spoken waitress. She would always come up and stand behind me it seemed.

Just to compare, we went to a non crowded restaurant after the first fitting for the moments and I couldn’t understand a word my wife said. Could only hear the music being played over speakers. I think this only may prove that Oticon software was better at predicting was was best for my hearing loss than Widex software. I probably shouldn’t say that because I really don’t know much about it, just a guess.

1 Like

What specification Moments have you tried? The 440 Evokes will give amazing speech comprehension in wind noise (when the set up is correct) so would expect the same. I find with Widex sometimes a dispenser more used to other brands may miss something small that makes all the difference (ie selecting correct vent size in software-some said this doesn’t make any difference-it does and is an integral part of the set up). Or using REM instead of the sensogram. The Widex set up is extremely accurate when followed correctly. With Widex once you have the set up right (vent size selection following software recommendation, feedback calibration and sensogram) with a custom fit I didn’t need to change anything in the prescription and my hearing was instantly great. Speech in noise better than those with normal hearing, but it is all about the correct fitting. The Widex sound is quite distinct in being very natural and you have so many options to tailor it for you if needed but when everything is followed correctly it shouldn’t need much changing. This has been learnt through myself & 2 other family members and years of different fitters! Follow the right procedures and we get 100% in speech recognition tests without any tinkering. I have the IP custom Evokes which give great 360 hearing so no problem hearing other people in restaurants in front or behind me, or in the car.

1 Like

I’m not giving up on the moments yet. I’m going to ask her if we should go ahead and do the REM. I already asked about it and she wants to wait until she had them more dialed in and was sure she had everything correct for me but if REM will tell us something is not correct, I think it should be done before I do possibly give up on them.

1 Like

REM is to be used for any hearing aid you get period. ONLY with REM done for each aid can you evaluate on a level playing field. If an audi thinks doing REM is hard or troublesome, they are lazy. It takes 10 to 15 minutes per pair for a competent audi.

Custom Molds - PERIOD for anyone with anything more than a mild loss.

Rule of thumb - as little venting as you can tolerate…bass response is much better.

3 Likes

Hi, sorry I should clarify that I meant with Widex REM should not be used. The vent/sensogram & feedback calibration work together for optimum clarity. When REM was used for me I lost speech comprehension, the sensogram should always be used with Widex and not REM. Widex have obviously spent many years getting their set up very finely tuned and the sensogram is an integral part of this. Good luck!

2 Likes

My audi said that only brand where people weren’t happy with REM fitting at all is widex. Other devices should be fitted with REM for any sensible comparison between them.

However neither widex sw can give great results in a hand of subpar fitter. That I can confirm, have several try, and results were poor. However, that could be because I have low frequency hearing loss, and widex sw can be designed with high frequency hearing loss in mind.

I wish you were joking, but you aren’t. I am not sure where you got your info, but you are mistaken. Common sense should tell you that unless you listen to what the aid is putting in the ear…in the ear…it isn’t going to be as good. My first audiologist retired before REM became a major thing. He was super sharp. He always managed to get me close. REM makes a huge difference as it measures what the aid is actually putting in your ears. Everyone’s ear shape is different. There will be varying degrees of cartilage density. Does not matter what Widex has, unless they look at what is actually going on in the ear with the aid in, they aren’t hitting it.

Yes, but obviously common sense doesn’t work with widex. Since I’ve squeezed my audi for tons of information and we spent hours discussing options and reasons, I’m inclined to trust him on that. I’m complicated user who needs to understand why, and we went through many graphs in his REM sw and other so that I get it. And he definitely is proficient and can explain whys. So, if he says that after he does REM on widex, that all customers are not happy at all and he has to do something else, I believe him.

However, even widex sw done poorly will give subpar results.

After we finish with my marvel, we plan to do my old widex so that I have proper backup. I’ll then see for myself :wink: