My Dad can hear me better through my Phonak Marvel when features are off

Ask for the phone call program to be reduced by 3 dB maybe?

1 Like

yeah I will do, I find it strange to when like streaming on facebook or similar, that lower volume to mute with side buttons and its still quite loud, some silly loud depending on vid.

@Baltazard

Well start with anything and decide from there.

It’s noticeably louder with all turned off.

The issue with these features also reduce the sound coming from the Roger in noise as well. Found that out years ago!

Basically everything I use for ‘streaming’ including telecoil and Roger, I turn off all these features.

I only use the features for AutoSense and Speech in 360 etc.

2 Likes

@Zebras Even the Roger! That’s bad.
Thank you

@leerich2004

I don’t know what your loss is but for me when I’m at home with no background noise, I only have my phone volume at 1 click.

In background noise, my volume is a bit higher.

1 Like

Yes!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have mainly lost the lower frequencies and right is worse, tinnitus in both ears, right worse for like a humming type noise.
The over loudness is what I feel makes tinnitus worse as wear these all day to and am often turning up/down for noises, the auto program does filter out noises to.

@Zebras This is really interesting. I think I will try this in Target this morning … taking off all those functions for the streaming stuff. You mention it makes things louder, but do you find (with all these things switched off) that the sound is clearer too? For me, clarity is the most important issue.

1 Like

I would say maybe as I’m not struggling to hear when streaming.

I wouldn’t say it was totally easy tho.

2 Likes

@Zebras

Your suggestions really help.
I’m not a self programmer. Old. Have a iMac I bought in 2010. Target takes a pc. And suspect I don’t have the patience/skill.

DaveL

does any one know the answer? I really need it!!!

Just found this thread, and very interesting. Phone calls is the only “streaming” option I haven’t touched, as with “adaptive bandwidth” turned on, I’ve had no complaints, and I hear fine.

I’ve noted that many others struggle in calls, even with adaptive bandwidth, so this could well be the best route.

On all other streaming options (t.coil, roger, media, speech and TV Connector), I have all the sliders fully to the left, except whistleblock. I’ve settled on “6” for this. I started with “4”, but some circumstances (such as standing near to a wall) meant the feedback would continue. Try and get away with the lowest setting you can, as it’ll eat away at you high frequency gain, and you’ll lose clarity.

I now only use the Music programme, but I’ve done these settings on “Calm Situation”, as a belief it is the backround “mic” programme in the streaming options. I hope this makes sense. There’s a phrase above… “your brain is the best noise filter”. I fully believe this.

@DaveL My Audiologist uses a Mac with target, so there may be a way.

Peter

2 Likes

I used windows on Mac for years, “Bootcamp” I believe, but there are other virtual methods… One thing though, when using windows on Mac, it slowed my Mac down to a crawl, for some unknown reason? Even though it had an i7 processor, & 32gig of RAM, it was painfully slow! Eventually, I ditched it for an i5 windows 11 laptop, I bought that laptop second hand, specifically for Target, it’s sleek and fast in comparison… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Only with intel processors at present. Apple processors (arm) are a no-go.

WH

2 Likes

@PeterH

Others have suggested I can. Thank you

I’ve had such problems with old pc’s and now with my very old iMac.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m going to adjust that. Thanks, Zebras!

2 Likes

This thread ties in with the one I started elsewhere. The discontinued Widex Dream advertised that “simple is better” /less is more, in terms of added features when it comes to music. Yes, my audi seems to have turned off all the relevant features in my Signia music program, but I sometimes wonder if he’s missed one. How would I know/? (I’m a bit ocd…). The Dream was doubtless discontinued because the general public demands more features, even if they don’t use them or if they’re not helpful. Not me! simple is beautiful n many cases. Granted, my needs are different from most because I’m looking for help hearing my classical guitar in small settings, solo or with a few others; and of course hearing music in concert. There’s no money in that for HA manufacturers. I completely understand. But I’m fascinated by the Dream model, or anyway a more recent model that easily sets up a music program that turns OFF all the features.

3 Likes

@jeffrey
Even though I’ve turned most features off, my Paradise aids can’t cope with a live band. 9 Year old Spice+ work well, although speech recognition is poor, as they haven’t been adjusted since 2015.

3 Likes

@Don

I also found that the more bass I gave myself in the phone program, the less my Dad could hear me. Can’t help needing bass but useful experiment.

Thanks for the well wishes the other day. Read the post but didn’t comment straight away and now can’t find the post.

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance…but why do features on a hearing aid effect how your voice sounds to the person on the other end of a call? Maybe my HAs, that stream (?) calls directly to my HAs, work differently? I mean, I still speak into my phone. Maybe that’s the difference?

1 Like