Metal crashing sound terrible

I wore Resound Omnia 7, Nal NL1 formula. DIYer.
Everything is OK except when heard metals crashing together or hit each other , the sound became terrible. I don’t know how to describe it. Just quite uncomfortable when hearing crashing sound.
Would like if someone indicate how to handle this?

Metal crashing is going to be uncomfortable for just about everyone.

Anyhow, have tried different impulse noise reduction settings located under in the Advanced Features/Comfort menu?

Have you gone into the Smart Fit Guide located in the Menu? It says to reduce the maximum output level at high frequencies.

You might also try to adjusting the sound pressure level for the 80 setting located in the fine tuning section.

2 Likes

As user990 suggests, “Have you gone into the Smart Fit Guide located in the Menu? It says to reduce the maximum output level at high frequencies.”

Similar to that, I was thinking it could be that the high freqs need to come down a tad. If it’s possible to do this on your own, lower the highs and even boost the mids and bass a bit to see if you can retain clarity, full & rich sound BUT eliminate that painful CrAsH! you’re getting with metal.

I have that going on with my Phonak Lumity Life aids. How I wish I had access to Target to tinker with my settings all day. My high freqs are so prominent now that I actually have trouble understanding speech - PLUS the painful crashing in loud places or my house, which has too much reverb thanks to no carpets.

1 Like

The impulse reduction settings on my EP20s were set to the mild setting but it kept kicking in on my right ear. I have a two year old grandson who can screech and bang things around. It was so frequent and annoying that I turned it off.

The noises in my ear are much quieter now. It has been several days of quite. I am grateful I can DIY… thanks to this forum and some awesome individuals. :smiley:

2 Likes

Impulse noise reduction is something you can try, as mentioned you cannot eliminate completely but you should be able to adjust to a level that’s “acceptable”

1 Like

This is where I would go for extremely loud sounds. Try a couple DB decrease at a time.

Some loud noise is normal and it takes time to acclimate.

1 Like

I would use up two of the four programs. One program using the impulse reduction settings. The other I would let the programming software reduce the high frequency gain.

I would only mess with the 80 setting if the other steps didn’t work.

1 Like

Thanks all for your informative solution. The uncomfortable sound actually is crackling sound when hearing metals crashed each other.
The problem have perfectly solved with your suggestion by decreasing high frequency MPO 6db. As well as decreasing 80 sound 6db in 3.1-8k high frequency.
Thanks again to this forum and you.

1 Like

Just remember that you now have reduced the other frequencies as well, as it’s not possible to just adjust in “one” handle, without adjusting the others, you may have noticed this already when you made those changes, hopefully this won’t mess with speech in your normal everyday situations, but good that your happy so far.

3 Likes

Something you might try is put the MPO’s back where they they were and see if the problem comes back. If it does you will understand better. I personally never changed MPO’s from the factory prescription. They are where they are for a reason to protect your ears but allow gain as needed.

Thanks for the update. You are doing great.

1 Like

What does that mean? I get the previous line about decreasing high freq MPO, but can you explain this next step? I like Raudrive’s suggestion to go BACK to the initial setting and see if it recurs. That would nail it.

I ask, cuz I am going to have to go back to my audi with my new 312s and do something to take the edge off the same kind of “ShAtTerInG!” sounds I get with these. In my echo-y house, if someone is in the next room talking to me, I simply can’t make out what they’re saying. But if I put on my older pair of rechargeable aids (same brand) I CAN comprehend what’s being said. Frustrating without any access to or training in Target.

Hearing aids have three different levels of adjustments, soft sounds, medium sounds and loud sounds.
The 80 level is loud sounds.

1 Like

I did not change other frequencies, So far daily conversations are good as before. But I just trialed one day.
Let me trial run for a week, then I think can have a conclusion.

Good idea. I will try MPO back tomorrow see what will be and let you know.
I deceased MPO, so definitely will not hurt my hearing unless increasing MPO. Am i correct?

1 Like

You are correct. 80 represented loud sound. 65 is middle.

1 Like

Maybe.
This might affect things you don’t want affected.
Small adjustments on a particular area of concern has proved well for me. Document what you do.

From you description, seems your issue is not the same as mine.
Mine is the crackling sound when two metals hit each other. So I suggest you can put your issue at a new topic.
Thanks for asking.

AH! Thank you so much for that. Gotta add that insight to my notes for the next audi visit on the 12th. I SO LOVE these 312s, and know I can get the sound quality like my rechargeables. It just seems to be a ground zero, two steps forward, 1.75 backward to get there. :expressionless:

1 Like

I just adjusted MPO back, crackling sound coming back. Lower down MPO is a solution for the problem.

1 Like

After one week trial run, I think the issue resolved perfectly.

1 Like