MacOS Sonoma and Hearing Aids (MFi)

hold on… so it wont work with MEDEL?

Looks like we’re out of the game. So I’m now looking towards intermediate streamers.

ugh I’m fed up with this.
Every day I am angry at MED-EL that we don’t have the same capabilities as Cochlear. Cochlear has everything better - no accessories, better app with EQ, microphone muting, remote settings with an engineer, advanced MFI on iPhone etc. And now there probably won’t be MEDEL on MacBook? UGH!

The same goes for superpower hearing aids. Companies either refuse to release them or release them as a last resort. We have to make do with scraps. The Oticon Real has already been released on the Polaris R platform, while the superpower Xceed remain on the Velox S platform. No table mic, no Connectclip with newer Bluetooth, no full app for older hearing aids. Business throws out the baby with the bathwater.

1 Like

you mean AudioLink? Or something else?

I use Oticon hearing aids, so I have different choice.

1 Like

I can’t even stream to a macbook yet so i feel you

1 Like

This is correct. I got the same email when I reached out.

Would you mind sending me an invite to that cochlear discord?

Apple has stated that only MFi devices with bidirectional audio are compatible with MacOS. So unfortunately, N7 and N8 won’t be

1 Like

N8 will get a firmware update enabling the bidirectional audio because it has bluetooth 5.3 … N7 will not get it because it is using old bluetooth 4.2 hardware.

1 Like

So… something new? Has anyone had success connecting to mfi hearing aids?

No. Wrong Mac, wrong hearing aids. But real hearing loss. Very frustrating.

1 Like

It really doesn’t make any sense to only allow bidirectional HAs, we can just hear the sounds and use the Mac’s mic!

1 Like

Works brilliantly with Oticon Real and MacBook Pro M2. Really happy!

1 Like

Now working 9/26/23 4:40 pm set with Signia Pure C&G T and MBP M1. It required restarting the HAs by putting them into the charger before they showed up on Mac.

I at first thought I could only pair with one device at a time and am please to find that it works with both the MBP and iPhone without unpairing from either.

3 Likes

What macOS version are you running?

That’s because Signia’s rechargeable HAs are in pairing mode (for a few minutes) only after powering up.

1 Like

Sonoma 14.0. Just installed today.

Works well on Starkey Genesis! Only issue is that the install instructions for Sonoma say Sonoma works with hearing aids only on Apple Silicon computers… so it is working well now on my laptop and it is time to upgrade my desktop computer.