MacOS Sonoma and Hearing Aids (MFi)

I know, I have a backup nucleus 7 and my friend wearing n7 says the same thing.

I have the N7, N8, and resound omnia using Apple’s MFI bimodal protocol is broken too (can’t stream to hearing aid)

2 Likes

now i wonder if it was a fix from apple or maybe cochlear? MEDEL is very slow on technology - we still don’t have many of the features that Cochlear has been offering for a long time. Maybe Cochlear fixed MFI on Macbook for N8?
I’m just thinking out loud as a non-technical person lol :thinking:

No, I said it before

1 Like

Still no CI connections as of yesterdays releases. Why would Cochlear’s N7/N8 as well as Med-El’s AudioStream not be able to connect at this point but HAs can?

Confirming with bimodal, not being able to stream on both ears. That a question for Apple… There should be no reason why it would act like this…

1 Like

another one update…and still doesnt work :frowning:
Soon there will be official update and will be it fixed?

This is the release candidate so besides cleaning some things up, then what you see is what will be officially released minus some bug fixes to further stabilize things.

2 Likes

it look like it won’t be fixed in 2 week

Besides CIs not connecting. Are all Hearing Aids able to connect? I know ReSound and Oticon Mores, as well as Phonak do but unsure about the rest.

Seems like CI folks are a vocal minority in this thread. Phonak does not use MFI protocol so it does not count. resound Omnia works fine without the CI sound processor id in the hearing aid but when they are “linked” (with sound processor id) for bimodal streaming config , it no longer streams for some reason with just the hearing aid paired/connected alone

I guess Apple will only support certain MFi Hearing devices and CIs are not included. BiModal isn’t supported by Apple unless the brands work together like Resound/Cochlear, AB/Phonak. Med-El users are left to find their own solutions.

This was posted elsewhere but the ones with asterisks* are the only devices that are currently planned to be supported by Sonoma at release.

It make sense but proof?

It was an email posted by a member in the cochlear discord who is pretty trustworthy. They’ve been in the beta a while and has been updating the group. This is the email they posted.

Thank you for your email. Our support documentation will be update when macOS Sonoma is released to provide the following details on MFi Hearing Device compatibility with Mac:

• Available on MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Mac Studio (2022), and all Mac computers with M2 chip across all supported languages

Devices that appear in the list with an asterisk, indicating support for bidirectional streaming audio, will be compatible with Mac. Due to Bluetooth hardware requirements, devices that do not appear with an asterisk will not be compatible with macOS.

Apple is always working with our Made for iPhone partners to expand the functionality of hearing devices. If hearing device support is expanded for Mac in the future, the list of supported hearing devices will be updated in the article.

Made for iPhone compatible hearing devices - Apple Support

Sincerely,

Apple Accessibility

I’m completely confused! So Oticon Xceed (without asterisk) will not work with Sonoma? It’s really very strange - it works with iPhone, but cannot work with Mac? Apple weaves a marketing web.

One of the moderators pointed out the asterisked hearing aids all support Bidirectional streaming as a requirement. Xceeds still require the clip where as the Oticon Own, Real and Mores do not require the clip.

2 Likes

So the future is still too far away. Hearing aids with Mac, Bluetooth LE Audio, Auracast - all these are things of the distant future.

This explains why bimodal linking makes it not work anymore, it falls back to the old non bidirectional protocol.

Definitely with anything Apple, Android, Microsoft, headphone manufacturers will be using/releasing before Mr cook decides to roll everything out, they’ll still think only “MFi” is needed.

1 Like

Recent Windows builds have LE Audio, but it’s problematic. Since Signia is about to release LEA HAs we’ll see how it plays out soon.
Furthermore, Creative is about to release BT LEA dongle, which should make things easier.

1 Like

Always great news there, stability has always been a “bug bear” for most.