MacOS Sonoma and Hearing Aids (MFi)

Be careful - iMac have M1 processor, it will not work with hearing aids. Only Mac mini with M2 and above.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification - I will go with a Mac Studio.

But there is also temporary workaround. I have an M2 laptop which works well with Sonoma. My desktop computer is 2019 Intel-based Mac Pro. While the Intel Mac Pro does not support hearing aids, I can use Airplay to route audio from the desktop Mac Pro to the laptop… Since the laptop audio goes to the hearing aids, the result is that my Intel Mac Pro now works with my hearing aids.

4 Likes

We can also use intermediate streamers, it’s much cheaper than a new computer.

1 Like

Totally agree- that’s a temporary solution and I plan to repurpose that computer for other things.

What is an intermediate streamer?

For example it is an Oticon TV adapter, or Oticon EduMic, or Oticon Connectclip (I use Oticon hearing aids). These accessories receive sound, convert it to Oticon wireless standard, and send it directly to hearing aids. It doesn’t matter how old or new the computer is - streamers are suitable for almost everything.

Is that unique to Oticon?

No, almost all companies produce similar accessories.

My Signia Pure 13BT is MFi but is not being recognized by my Macbook Pro M2 (2023 Model).

Yeah so MFi is Made For iPhone, so it’s iPad or iPhone.

Umm, this thread is about MFi that was added to macOS recently.
Signias Pure should work.

Yeah but it seems not all, another thing, does it matter if its Arm or Intel based?

Mac - only M1 Pro and higher. Hearing aids - only with bidirectional communication. Hearing aid user - only with fat wallet.

2 Likes

I’m just wondering. Is there anyone here who can unlock the Hearing Devices feature on Intel Mac? Perhaps editing kext files? It’s a shame that Apple is unceremoniously throwing us overboard. So we can take matters into our own hands.

If you’re as pissed off with Apple as I am for not supporting the same hearing aids on macOS that they do on iPhone/iPad please send them a product feedback form.

There’s really no reason why they can’t support hearing aids that don’t have bidirectional streaming. They work on iPhone and iPad so to have the Mac support a subset of devices is just ridiculous.

Send your feedback to Feedback - macOS - Apple
and select the accessibility category.

If enough people feedback they might do something about it. Thanks

2 Likes

I too was always surprised that the Mac didn’t support hearing aids! Even the iPhone 4 could do this - but the Mac supposedly can do it only with an M2 processor! This is a ridiculous excuse.

Yay, I did it!
Снимок

4 Likes

No, it can’t, m2 also doesn’t support hearing aids with MFi

Why not??

wrong, it actually does,

That’s interesting because my cochlear nucleus 8 and my hearing aid resound Enzo Q can’t connect with Mac mini m2 or my MacBook M1 Pro 14 :frowning: however connect with my iPhone works perfect via mfi :roll_eyes: