Looking for feedback on VA (US) / discharged decades ago

I am almost a year into my hearing aids, purchased through private insurance. No doubt that my hearing loss was caused by my time in the military, but I have been out of the service since the mid 1980s. I’m curious if anyone who has been out for quite a while have been able through VA to secure any HA benefits. I’m set for now but more concerned for when they will no longer be covered by insurance.

For those who have fought for it years after being out, what was involved/how long did it take for approval?

1 Like

I got out of the Navy in 1977, and finally went into the VA system in 2004. I have been getting my aids from the VA for close to 18 years now. I love the respect and services I receive from my local VA clinic here in Central Arkansas. I am now 50% disabled for my hearing loss. All I can say is open a claim and start your paperwork and see what happens.

3 Likes

My husband applied at 64, decades after service. His first round was denied. His advocate appealed. Months later he received a letter that they are
Reviewing his AuD’s assessment again and reconsidering. His advocate said his case is still open and being reviewed. We have fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s the word I was looking for “VA advocate”. Find one of those in your area to help you apply. Also if you have hearing loss then you are also likely to have tinnitus so claim that in addition to claiming a service related hearing loss.,

4 Likes

Make sure you have your DD214, and I was lucky enough to have a copy of all my military records including my medical records. The VA hospital I first went to scanned everything into the VA system and gave me back my records. I was unemployed at the time and needed medication for my high blood pressure, I was seen that very day and given enough medicine to tide me over until I saw the doctors for a full evaluation which was only two days later. During the physical I was given the doctor notice my issues with my hearing and walked me upstairs to the audiology department and I was given a hearing exam and an ENT evaluation that same day. I was also given my first VA ID and medicine I needed from the pharmacy. But it seemed to take for ever to get through the claims process for getting my hearing aids. I had a number of more hearing test and ENT appointments and even the Texas State VA agent to wright up reports, I have also reports from that go back into the special assignments I had in my 8 years in the Navy. Everything helps. I have even known of people getting letters from their representatives and senators.
My loss is due to jet cargo flights all over the world, I was a passenger flying in the cargo bay of C141s to places that at the time I never even heard of. I was an electronic technician specializing in communications and cryptography.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the feedback. It’s very helpful. I don’t expect this to be easy…it never is when dealing with the government. I just didn’t want to jump into it if I had zero chance of approval.

I spent my time in the airborne infantry so spent many hours in those C130s and the occasional 141.

You mentioned they diagnosed you with 50% disability. Does that mean they pay half for your aids and you cover the other half?

1 Like

I have never paid a cent for my hearing aids or supplies. I also get a disability check deposited to my bank account each month that makes it easier for my wife’s and my retirement. If I so desired I could be reimbursed for my travel expenses to the clinic but I don’t bother. I also get my medication and eyeglasses from the VA. And here in Arkansas I get a discount on my vehicle registration and a disabled veterans license plate for my vehicle. But that is only due to a 50% or greater disability rating.
As an E5 back in the 1970s I didn’t make a lot and I find it amazing that my disability check for being 50% disabled is just about the same amount and it isn’t taxable like my pay was back then.

2 Likes

The term you want is (Veteran) Service Officer, VSO, typically just service officer. Your state should have an organization of them. The seem to be from American Legion, VFW, or similar organizations. Mine was from VFW.

Get help from an accredited representative

I used one from the VFW. He did an interview, told me what documents I needed to collect prior to our meeting, and then filled out everything I needed. All I needed to do was make it to the appointment.

File for the disability. A clock starts when you file. If your claim is approved, you get back pay back to the point you put in your claim. You will have an appointment/exam (compensation & pension (C&P) exam) to measure your loss. Generally your hearing has to be bad to get a hearing loss disability. If tinnitus bothers you, that is a separate loss and is based on your description of how much it bothers you, not on any tests. I was able to receive 10% for the tinnitus, but my hearing loss only crosses into moderate, so I don’t get any disability for that. (0% - if it gets worse later I can re-apply.)

Hope this helps! Thanks for your service!
WH

3 Likes

Yes and also depending if you served in a war zone or not. Join the American Legion and or the VFW. I never officially was in a war zone so I have become active with the local American Legion post. I learn a lot about new VA programs and benefits. The American Legion is very active in DC getting new legislation passed and benefits. My wife gifted me with a life membership, which has proven very beneficial.

1 Like

I believe you are after two different things. There are the hearing aids, and getting them covered sounds like your priority. There is another aspect of qualifying for military disability and getting compensated. My husband doesn’t care about that - just wants the HAs. Getting the HAs should be easier than pushing for the compensation.

2 Likes

Getting qualified comes first. When I applied for the disability it was because my A audiologist said that I qualified and should request a reevaluation by the VA Administration, I did the online claim for my hearing and was surprised at the results. I was once told by my VA advocate that if you served your country honorably and you have physical, mental, or hearing disabilities you should be taken care of. I did 8 years in the Navy, I may not have been in a war zone but I did my duty as I was asked, served several Presidents, VPs, and Secretary of State directly. Provided security communication for their Secret Service Agents. I also saw how our government functions up close and personal. I have never been the same person since.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. Not looking for any compensation, just looking to have the financial burden of HAs off my plate as I get older. I expect the pair I have now to last several years, so I do have time to deal with the red tape that may come with this journey.

You need to contact a VSO. Every county has one. They will be able to help you with all of it. I was out for over 30 years before I applied for VA healthcare not even knowing about a VSO. I was denied so I contacted the VA hospital patient advocate and was told about the VSO. Every5hing went smooth from 5here except it is a very lengthy and time consuming process. I know you said you are not interested in filing for disability but you should pursue everything you are entitled to. Would have saved them a ton of money if they had just given me the aids when I started since it only made me mad and I pursued claim after claim and am now 100% disabled.

I understand the process has changed since I was approved so you may want to just call your closest va audiology department and see what they say.

1 Like

These is so much misinformation when you do an Internet search!

Maybe try a Google search (for va patient advocate number)

• Ignore all Sponsored
  • Only click the results that say - c2

Find a phone number in your area. Let the professional handle it. Don’t worry about whether or not to apply for compensation. It’s just part of the calculation, and I believe it is retroactive. If you prefer to refuse it, then you can donate it to me. :wink:

I was discharged in 1957. Record of discharge (at VA) lost in fire. Fortunately, I still had DD214. about 11 years ago, I applied on line/mail to local VA hospital. Had to FAX the DD214. Initially, I only applied to get dental insurance. A year or so later, I went in for physical and they scheduled me for hearing test. Got HA’s some 10 or so years ago. Once you are in the VA health system, you get pretty much what you need. Closest hospital is almost an hour away so I don’t use it much. Clinic is close, go there for physical and things like shots (COVID, Shingles, Flu, Tetanus, etc. ). Great service everywhere I have gone. They moved the audiology dept to another clinic, about 20 minutes away. Got new HA’s the first of the year. Very satisfied. I think the local VSO is in County gov’t, never looked for it. Just dealt with the local hospital via mail and phone.

1 Like

As mentioned multiple times above… Your first stop need to be with your local VSO. They will file all the paperwork electronically and correctly.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the valuable feedback. I have filed my claim prior to reading a lot of this. We’ll see how it goes. If denied, I’ll be contacting VSO for assistance.

Makes me hopeful to hear so many positive stories. Each case is different of course, have to see how mine plays out.

I was in denial for too many years on my hearing loss. Now that I have HAs, I never want to go back to the way it was.

Welcome to the club. :grinning:

2 Likes

I was also was discharged in 1957 and my records were burned up in the fire. I had my DD214 so I did get my hearing aids last year and I am very happy with them. However the VA has a limit on how much you can make for those in the service between the Korean War and the Viet Nam war and I fall into that group. I lost my VA benefits. I appealed to the VA but lost the appeal.

1 Like