Long expired batteries - on day 6

I’m on my first pair of hearing aids, but trialled a pair in 2011. I still had the packet of batteries I bought back then, so decided to see if they’d still work. They expired in 2013.

I normally get 8 days out of fresh batteries. I’m on day 6 with these expired ones.

Anyone else tried batteries this old? How long did you get out of them?

1 Like

Never tried with batteries that old! However I have tried with a few months past expiration. ( It happens sometimes where I get a large pack of 13s and they are on sale at CVS due to being close to expiration date.) When this happens most of the time I’ll get 7-9 days per battery and in a packet of 24 batteries usually rayovacs brand maybe 3 will be completely dead.

Back in England UK 20 or so years ago whatever brand of batteries the NHS supplied for hearing aid users were awful. You had to save the dead ones and hand them in for new packs. You’d be lucky out of a pack of 19 to get 6 that worked drove me nuts going dead, dead, dang that’s dead too WTH oh finally a working one then going Mumm/Dad!!! I’m out of batteries or Half these were dead even with stickers on and stored in a drawer we had for HA things. That’s when we reverted to buying batteries vs free ones never had that issue again. I always wondered if they either recharged them or did a power check and reused some that seemed to have power who knows.

On day 8, still going. If they last through today then they’ll have lasted as long as my normal ones.

They’re Duracell DA312B8’s, “best before Mar 2013”. I normally use Energizer AZ312DPA-8s or whatever type it is that my audiologist has rebranded.

They both went flat today. The left lasted 127 hours (estimate), and the right lasted 116 hours. I normally get more out of the left, but usually less than 4 hours.

I got 8 days out of them, same as with fresh batteries, but today was a holiday, so I got up late, so they should have gone flat a few hours ago.

1 Like

Second set just went flat after 8 days too.

Great to know that it is worth trying old batteries if one has some.