Let batteries sit a bit after removing tabs? Really?

I’ve used size 13 extensively. I have waited and not waited. It makes no real difference.

I totally agree with you. Air does activate the things, but I close the doors right away. My hearing aids are not airtight, so if they need more air to get fully activated, it is there…I amsure they are not air tight, because sweat goes into the battery compartment with apparent ease, so I am guessing air has an even easier time…
my 2 cents
Dan

Maybe it’s a good thing I didn’t read this thread long ago. Just started it tonight and saw the posts about how swallowing batteries kills kids and pets fast. My puppy ate my hearing aids more than two months ago. I stupidly took them out to brush my teeth thinking I’d remember to put them away when I was finished and of course forgot and left them. I know I opened the battery doors, always do when I remove aids.

Anyway, I talked to the vet, who said if he was eating and eliminating normally, don’t worry, he’d pass them. His behavior never changed, and obviously those batteries didn’t kill him on the spot, but I’m glad I never knew they should. I was worried enough as it was, although I’ve sure seen others post here about dogs eating aids and nothing about them dying from it.

Fortunately for me, my aids are KS9s from Costco and were still under replacement warranty.

P.S. I try to let my batteries sit 2 minutes after I take the tabs off just because most here recommend it. It’s not as if it’s painful.

1 Like

Some manufacturers even recommend letting batteries air for a minute before using.
Rayovac is one of them.

1 Like

Used to work for 3M in London Canada.
You can get adhesive transfer from tape…perhaps the wait time is to prevent the adhesive on the tape from transferring to the contacts on the hearing aid.

Hope this helps…
Dave

1 Like

Why do you think they put the sticky on the batteries? To keep the air out. Using air as part of the chemical make up of the batteries allows the batteries to be smaller.

Oticon says:
Zinc air batteries: Insert new batteries and close the battery drawer. In order to let the batteries breathe oxygen, we recommend that you wait for 2 full minutes after removing the sticker from the batteries before you insert them.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s my imagination because in the past I never really paid much attention to this. But I recently moved up to hearing aids that take 675 batteries. If I pull the tab and immediately put them in my aids the aids will start but a couple of seconds later shut off. If I wait a minute the aids start up and stay on. So I guess there’s is something to this. You’re never too old to learn

1 Like

Actually the reason it is dangerous to swallow a battery is when it reaches the small intestine the battery is squeezed and a short circuit happens causing severe damage to the intestine that could be fatal Under no circumstances leave a battery laying around. Keep it in its case if unused or immediately dispose of it.

Well, I would have sworn it would make a difference to let HA batteries “air” before turning on the HAs, but now I’m not so sure. Back at the beginning of 2019 I started “airing” my batteries before turning on my HAs. So, I checked my archives to see the difference. I was wearing Oticon Agil Pro HAs at the time. They took a 312 battery.

So, I started “airing” in Jan 2019, and continued to do so until I got my Marvels in Sept 2019. Over that period of time, I went through 29 sets of batteries over the course of 246 days. The 29 sets of batteries previous to my beginning “airing” spanned the time period between May 2018 and Jan 2019. Those 29 sets kept me going for 249 days. So, it would seem, given that I might be a day off here or there, and also accounting for the fact that batteries don’t last so well during winter as in summer, I’d say there was very little difference between “airing” the batteries, and not doing so. Weird.

My first Phonaks I ignored or didn’t know that the batteries needed to “air”. I ended up with an issue with one hearing aid. After a few months of use, it stopped working.
I used a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the HA. The hearing aid worked again. I started allowing the batteries to air after removing the tab. I never had the problem again. and I didn’t have to pay to send my hearing aid away for repair. I think that the issue was adhesive transfer from the tab to the battery, then to the contacts on my Phonaks.

Its a myth and makes no difference if you put them in immediately or wait. The stickers do keep the air out and basically the batteries activate one the sticker is removed. If you remove the sticker and let the battery sit the charge will dissipate.

I find it hard to believe the charge will dissipate in a minute or two especially since you’re supposed to leave the aid doors open when not wearing them. So I assume your comment is humor

Part of the deal is that battery compartments are not air tight…they get enough air even when placed in the battery door and closed in right away.
Just my 2 cents worth,
Dan

1 Like

Well I agree with what your saying Dan. By the time I put my batteries in the aids and shut the doors the batteries were up and running. But I’m seeing a longer delay with the bigger 675s. But still I’m good to go in say 30 seconds after pulling the tabs. It’s just longer than what I was used to

1 Like

When they make hearing aids with airtight battery compartments, I will pay attention. Like you, I have VERY long term experience…all the way back to mercury batteries…Yes, I’m that old…lol

I’ve had a number of batteries that didn’t work at all until about 10 minutes after removing the tab. Both size 312 from Costco, and 13 branded from my audiologist. I don’t know who makes either one, but I’d guess it’s the same company, because I’ve never had that problem with any batteries I’ve bought for myself.