Let batteries sit a bit after removing tabs? Really?

batteries

#1

I read somewhere that some people wait a bit “for the batteries to activate” after removing the sticky tab off the back before putting in the hearing aid. But I can’t understand this, since the negative metal wraps around the sides uncovered even when the tab is still on. Is there any science to this? Thanks!

EDIT: 3 tiny holes confirmed with cellphone magnifier app.


#2

This is my understanding. Removing the tab exposes several small holes in the batteries that expose the chemicals inside the battery to air. Once the chemicals are exposed to air, the voltage rises. There are various recommendations on how long one should wait.


#3

So, any wait is better than none?
My batteries go 7 to 9 days so unless there is a major increase in life, how would I even know if this trick works?


#4

The “trick” definitely works to increase the voltage. My suspicion is that for lower demand hearing aids (ones who get close to a week or more of battery life) that it really doesn’t matter. For devices that go through batteries quickly, I suspect they have a notably higher current draw and benefit from letting the battery get up to full voltage. I’ve seen recommendations ranging from 1 to 5 minutes. Somewhere on here are reports of studies which I think said 5 minutes was way overkill, but I don’t have specifics. I don’t worry about it, but try to avoid immediately using mine after removing tab.


#5

It is best to wait 1 minute after removing the battery tap.


#6

Ditto. I wanted know this and so tried it. Peel off and install and close door…nothing. Righty-o. Wait it is.


#7

I’ve lost my magnifying glass, but has anyone ever confirmed there are actually tiny holes there?


#8

Yes, mine from Costco have 3 holes arranged in a triangle.


#9

Your smartphone camera makes a fine magnifying glass. Or even binoculars backwards even better. :slight_smile:
Ditto to MDB.


#10

Like this? Click the image for a higher resolution;


#11

Well I’ll be the old monkey’s uncle; it says that right on the back of the Kirkland package. It also says I should stop swallowing them.

Now, not being an ohm’s-meister, how many extra amp hours could you possibly gain from a 1.45v battery?


#12

Kinda hard to measure In your stomach?!:rofl:


#13

You are absolutely right - 3 tiny holes confirmed with cellphone magnifier app. Thanks.


#14

I wait one minute before removing the tab.
Am I OCD?


#15

No, just chronically dyslexive. Not a real word but you know: :blush:


#16

Although the package of most batteries will state 1.45 volts, the fact of the matter is that batteries that are still tabbed on the shelf will measure anywhere from 1.1 to 1.3 volts if you were to test them with a volt meter. After you take the tab off, the voltage will rise enough to power a hearing aid within one minute, but the entire cell could take as long as 24 hours to rise to the maximum 1.45 volts.


#17

Every time one of these threads come up, I can’t stop myself from replying yet again. I slam a new battery back into my HA as fast as my fingers can move, and carry on. I ran an experiment last year, waiting any period of time did zero to the longevity of the battery or the function of the HA. These HA battery compartments are not air-tight you know…


#18

I had the same thought and do the same thing.


#19

There was some kid, a few years ago, who did a school project on whether waiting 5 minutes was better than waiting the standard 2 minutes recommended by the battery manufacturers. He found an improvement in battery life but his experiment did not prove reproducible in the results.

All button cell batteries should be kept well away from children because swallowing them is very dangerous and requires immediate urgent medical attention - think perforated gastrointestinal tract - and the effects happen within minutes.


#20

Also to be kept well away from any of your pets. If a cat or dog swallows a battery, it’s generally goodbye to that pet. As not a lot can be done for the cat or dog other than very expensive surgery to retrieve the battery, even then the pet could still cross the rainbow bridge…