LE Audio and the Future of Hearing

I have heard all of that before, and it never turns out that way. We were told that back in the early days of e-mail and just look at all the spam. Then we were told that with text and that is becoming a lie also. Businesses will do what ever they think they can get away with. And that doesn’t even take in crooks, politicians and who knows who else looking to make a quick buck.

You’re pretty sure of yourself! How about this - I’ll manufacture tinfoil earmuffs for HA wearers. How many pairs do you want? :slight_smile:

So someone makes a set of buds that accepts connections and broadcasts without the user’s agreement: Pretty sure the Bluetooth SIG would be all over them because that’s outside the spec and they’re trashing the Bluetooth brand, and who would buy them? It would be a cacophony anyway. You get multiple simultaneous connections with LE Audio.

If you only new how sure of myself and my real background. You wouldn’t be so sure of yourself.

1 Like

To add to @MDB’s point. Low latency, interoperability between devices from different manufacturers, independent streams (eg using a microphone to make a call or talk to Google shouldn’t affect the quality of whatever you’re streaming), multiple connections up to available bandwidth.

What Nick Hunn and others stress is that it’s a complete toolbox for developers. So maybe some of the best applications for it haven’t even been thought of yet.

But then none of this is available right now, so how long do you wait?

Realistically I think it will be several years after stuff becomes available before one could take full advantage, unless one planned on getting new hearing aids, phone, other computing devices and maybe even a TV all at once? Phonak offers a good, multi device compatibility system that works now.

1 Like

I think my new computing device will be a dongle, and the new tv will be a transmitter so that shouldn’t break the bank. The phone and the aids? Once you mortgage the house to pay for the aids, the phone looks like an accessory. If they came out with aids that were both mfi and LE Audio I’d hold off on the phone. Not sure if that’s likely.

I’m just hoping my aids just keep on going for a while longer. I really don’t want to buy aids that don’t have LE Audio, especially now that the KS10 isn’t available.

1 Like

Great! Looking forward to reading your explanation of exactly how new standards of wireless HA connections will change us from years of “how do I get these damned things to connect” to a future of “how do I stop all these unauthorized ad transmissions.”

1 Like

Ads are coming to your auracast hotspot near you!

1 Like

I live on a mountain about 20 miles from town. Wherever the owners are putting that hotspot, they’d be well-advised to make it bear-proof.

1 Like

Just keep laughing now, and I will say I told you so when the spam that now comes as emails, text, and phone calls start coming a to our hearing aids, and EarPods. They will always figure away to get around the standards. Just like the hackers have already done to all of our networks regardless how secure they claim to be. Maybe they are like me tell me I can’t do it and I will figure away to do it.

2 Likes

Link:

======================

Link:

Edit:
Does this means that any HA that has a 5.2 Bluetooth hardware built in, will be Auracast ready by just updating the firmware?

For anyone interested, The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) is hosting an exclusive webinar, and you are invited.
Chuck Sabin, Senior Director of Market Development, will discuss a number of topics, should be interesting.

5 Likes

I found a manual for a dongle transmitter with dual Classic and LE Audio but I couldn’t find it on sale anywhere.

“Its Bluetooth LE Audio technology, adopts the latest LC3 codec chip in Bluetooth 5.3 version, supports broadcast audio, and has passed the latest Bluetooth broadcast audio Auracast™ certification of the Bluetooth SIG (Bluetooth SIG).”

2 Likes

Well I definitely want one, hopefully it’ll be available by Xmas!

Finding something to play to might be a problem. Hopefully available by Christmas too!

Looks like Quallcom is pretty solid with LE Audio products: Qualcomm unveils new Bluetooth LE Audio chips and platform for AR glasses - GSMArena.com news

3 Likes

Any device that have Bluetooth 5.2 base specification can be upgraded in firmware LE audio and Auracast. These are software protocol, nothing to do with hardware… As long as the firmware is upgradable and the underlying hardware supports it… you should be solid…

Cochlear N8 (confirmed) and I think the resound omnia are probably likely to to come out with LE Audio…

AND the mfr desires to cut a release to support it. Vs bringing a NEW product to market and $$$ for the “upgrade.” “Sorry, that is a legacy product. We will honor warranties but not upgrade it.”

Are they promising to provide this later? Hmm?

WH

1 Like

I am not here to provide a business perspective but an R&D engineering perspective,

it is doable but it cost a lot of money to develop the technology and where is that money going to come from?