LE Audio and the Future of Hearing

Another opinion that BT 5.3 and the new audio in the iPhones and AirPod Pro 2s brings improved listening but no BT LE Audio for now as it’s not as good as Apple’s AAC codec and would only enhance use of the AirPod Pros with non-Apple devices - not a desirable outcome for Apple, for now.

iPhone 14 and AirPods Pro 2 support Bluetooth 5.3, but LE Audio support not confirmed (ithinkdiff.com)

Also, only BT 5.3, not BT LE Audio, is mentioned in Apple’s tech specs for the AirPods Pro 2 and under System Requirements (and Compatibility) only Apple devices are listed. Not something you would expect if Apple had embraced BT LE Audio as an open standard (and if it were up and running on the AirPods Pro 2).

AirPods Pro (2nd generation) - Technical Specifications - Apple

Went to Google Store and looked at tech specs. They’re listing BT 5.2 and no mention of LE Audio. Seems odd when Android 13 is supposed to support it.

I must have missed it but when I did a pixel 7 spec search at the Google store they mentioned BT but I did not even see the 5.2 BT mentioned. I found the 5.2 LE mentioned on other websites.

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_7_specs?hl=en-US

It’s tough to find. Once you find phone, need to click on Tech Specs at top, scroll down to connectivity and expand.

1 Like

My impression of Google is that it is one of the most internally unco-ordinated organisations on the planet. So I’m not sure I’d believe their own website. If they can’t bring out a phone with the latest Bluetooth version more than a year after it’s released there’s no hope for them.

I still think it will be Bluetooth 5.3 but I’ve got nothing to back that up. Their own buds are 5.3!

1 Like

I think you guys are missing the point. LE audio codec is negotiable between the hearing device and the transmitter but it is required (i think) to support LC3 for full compatibility

All they need to do wrap the encoding frame (audio data) to LE Isochronous Channel which is in the Bluetooth core Spec 5.2 or higher…

1 Like

in simple term, it is like getting a new phone with HD calling but you both are an English and spanish speaker…

LE Isochronous Channel is like getting a new phone with HD calling and the codec that it speak to is either english or spanish

You will be negotiating with the other person to talk in Spanish or English…

1 Like

Also the basic function of a codec is paired. encode input and decode output

Not sure if this is news or not, but the latest Cochlear Nucleus processor is LE Audio-ready.

“Ready for next-generation Bluetooth® LE audio technology, the Nucleus 8 Sound Processor brings you sound simply and directly, in more places and from more devices than ever before. 4-6,^ You can connect to devices that support Bluetooth Auracast™ in public places like airports, convention centers, and theatres.”

2 Likes

it isn’t enabled in firmware level, it is missing LC3, BAP, CAP, and HAP…

just only bluetooth 5.3 core with ASHA / /MFI protocol for now …

1 Like

Dr. Cliff has a short, very well-done video out on BT LE Audio (AuraCast) and the impact it will have on hearing aids. He predicts it will make telecoil obsolete in about ten years as it will enable smaller hearing aids with better battery life, especially for ITC devices:

3 Likes

I think it’s gonna be a lot sooner then that, I mean it’s already such a small part of the market right now, compared to say even 10 years ago.

1 Like

Good old Bluetooth SIG are still chugging on towards Auracast implementation. I haven’t downloaded the “best practices” document but what I did learn from the link below is that public Auracasts will be required to support “standard quality” broadcast audio. That’s there for our benefit because hearing aids may not have the bandwidth required for higher quality broadcast.

As identified by the use of Auracast Trademarks in the Brand Guide for Bluetooth Trademarks [8], for all transmitters, the product must be configurable by the end user to broadcast a Standard Quality Public Broadcast Audio stream. Additionally, if the transmitter is marketed for use within a public location (where “public location” means any public, private, or commercial venue, building, means of transport, or open space), the product’s default setting when configuring the product to transmit an Auracast™ broadcast must be to broadcast a Standard Quality Public Broadcast Audio stream.

4 Likes

I’m testing Phonak Lumity with Bluetooth Classic and the quality of sound and connection reliability is fantastic. The only benefit I can see with Bluetooth LE Audio is extended battery life. Am I missing anything here?

Jordan

Yes you are. LE Audio and Auracast promise the potential for way more compatibility without an additional intermediary device and broadcasting potential. A lecture hall, theatre or other venue could invest in a relatively inexpensive Bluetooth system and be able to broadcast to all compatible hearing aids.
However, until LE Audio fully rolls out, Phonak’s solution is pretty sweet.

4 Likes

According to the graph Dr. Cliff presents (probably “stolen” from Bluetooth SIG materials), you’ll also get better audio at all audio rates with the LC3 codec as opposed to SBC. Supposedly, Apple’s AAC codec is better than either of them but I don’t know if that can be employed by MFi HA’s - maybe someone else here does? The AAC codec is less kind to battery life as it’s more complex and probably goes to higher audio frequencies (that can’t be reproduced by HA’s).

It’s all well and good until you can’t go in a store, mall, or even walk down the street with out being hammered by ads.

3 Likes

That would be counter-productive for the store or anyone else trying it. Besides, for technical reasons most likely a user would always have to choose to connect to a source, much like choosing a wifi source.

3 Likes

For technical reasons the hearing aid would have to connect, but there’s no technical reason why the user wearing the aids would have to be involved.

Thankfully Bluetooth SIG is not a North Korean enterprise. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes