LE Audio and the Future of Hearing

Quite a good article about it here. Both transmitting and receiving hardware need to be certified by Qualcomm and it’s debatable whether most people with normal hearing (let along those on this forum) will notice any difference. That debate is never-ending however.

2 Likes

IIRC, Qualcomm charges a premium licensing fee, too, for the use of its aptX Adaptive codecs so excellent sound quality won’t come cheap! (and perhaps one could say, Oh! It comes with a chipset… Qualcomm charges a premium for its high-end chipsets, too!).

I think you nailed it there!
We wouldn’t even be looking at this forum if we had anywhere near CD quality hearing.

I’m happy hearing up to 8khz!

1 Like

Yes. End to end profit.

New blog post

1 Like

Just more Waiting for Godot…

1 Like

LOL! (This part is to fill the required amount of key strokes)

1 Like

Anyone think they may have jumped the gun a bit back in January 2020?

2 Likes

Bluetooth 5.3 finally warrants mention in Wiki.

1 Like

BAP is now blue:

6 Likes

New blog post:

1 Like

They seem to concentrate on audio sharing and broadcasting as the big selling points. For me, interoperability of devices is almost as big. Like the possibility of table top microphones that communicate with all of the hearing aids around the table regardless of who makes them.

5 Likes

They don’t make this sound like compatible hearing aids are imminent. Makes me wonder about some current hearing aids claims of future compatiblity.

“The specifications are just about to be finalized”

Promising

“since hearing aids are medical devices and thus subject to rather strict regulatory requirements, it will take some time to get products out”

Not so promising. Is the FDA interested in Bluetooth? How does Bluetooth impact a hearing aid’s safety and efficacy around its core function?

1 Like

That would be amazing!!

Quote from web page cited by Spindel:

The transmitters for assistive listening are provided by some specialized companies that also need to develop and market their products before it all comes together.

I don’t think the HA OEMs want to get down and dirty and compete openly in the wearable market and be able to have any old company in China make accessory devices, etc. They like having a restricted market of MEDICAL DEVICES, as the article Spindel quotes emphasizes the controlled, medical nature of HA devices. Accessibility for broadcast scenarios is something that can be sold big (airport, auditoriums, convention centers, etc.) at a nice profit and still undercut very expensive telecoil/loop systems. And if they get the technology put in every TV and smartphone made, they are going to make a lot of money there on licensing, too, e.g., all Samsung TV sets, all LG TV sets, Android and Apple phones, etc. (sorry - don’t really know what’s open source and what’s going to be charged a licensing fee but I imagine the software/firmware developers involved are not doing it on a strictly for charity basis). Maybe this is going off topic, but is there even an inkling of OTC HA’s on the horizon in Europe? I’d say there’s more hope that BT LE Audio is going to make it into interoperability amongst devices and their accessories in the OTC HA market in the U.S., if it ever gets going.

I don’t think anybody really knows how this is going to play out, but I’m not sure hearing aid manufacturers are going to have much choice. Once they agree to a standard, they lose a certain amount of control. Phonak lost some control by using Classic Bluetooth. People can use any bluetooth microphone they want. However, there are still glitches exemplified by people’s challenges connecting with other Classic Bluetooth Devices (I think related to driver issues) I doubt BT LE Audio is going to eliminate bluetooth glitches. If this plays out like it did with Bluetooth 5, I’d expect the phones to start trickling out, followed eventually by compatible devices.

Almost sounds like tele-coil but Bluetooth.
Much handier.

2 Likes

One of the hearing aid companies owns Sennheiser, another owns Jabra. They are more than willing to get into the headphones/wearables space.

Once they certify for LE Audio they lose control over that.

A few hundred bucks is what I read somewhere. You probably paying more for the guy who does the cabling. Samsung et al will still pay licensing fees to Bluetooth SIG like they do now for Classic Bluetooth. Nothing to do with hearing aid companies. It’s gone well beyond that now.

Yes. I wonder if they envisioned the scope of the thing when they went to the Bluetooth SIG with their proposal in 2013 My gleanings from the various videos and articles I’ve seen is that they’re prepared to sacrifice sales of accessories for increased sales of hearing devices. By 'merging with the mainstream, hearing aids become cool and desirable to the 90% or whatever of people who might benefit from hearing aids but don’t currently have them. You start to wonder whether the hearing aid companies forecast their long-term decline 10 years ago or more and took steps to reinvent themselves. Fiendishly clever if true.

1 Like