Kirkland Signature 9.0 from Costco vs TruHearing

My father has hearing aid insurance through TruHearing and can get flagship level hearing aids with a $1300 co-pay (pair) listed on this PDF:

We’re also considering the Kirkland Signature 9.0 from Costco for $1500 which includes some perks that seem to be worth the $200 difference in price.

• both have 3-year warranties with one loss or damage occurrence covered (TruHearing charges a deductible for replacement while Costco does not)

• Costco Citibank Visa also adds an additional 2-years to the Costco warranty

• TruHearing: 45-day trial period, Costco: 180-day trial period

• TruHearing: free follow-up visits for 6-months, Costco: free follow-up visits for the life of the hearing aids

So it seems like a no-brainer to go with Costco but I’m wondering if any of TruHearing’s flagship hearing aids might make it worth going with them over the Kirkland Signature 9.0 or something else at Costco.

If I remember right, KS9s are Phonak Marvel 90. I see on the Flagship listing a Phonak Sky M90. That may be the same, but I can’t be sure.

Things to add to your comparison:
CostCo provides domes free of charge. And the wax guards also. Tru Heaing?

If you happen in to CostCo to shop, if they aren’t busy they will do a free cleaning while you are shopping. Takes about 10 minutes, if you live near enough you can just stop in for them to clean the pair, even if you aren’t shopping.

To get the CostCo warranties, you do have to maintain the CostCo membership. $60 per year. Would he have the membership otherwise, so he is getting that anyway? And if you put the purchase on the VISA to extend, you are talking a 5 years membership.

Put the purchase on the CostCo VISA and (I’m not sure if this works with the $60 or you have to get the $120 membership) you get rewards. You need to do just a little bit of shopping to make a good $60 rewards check that first year, with the hearing aids purchase on there.

CostCo offers the PerfectDry Lux dryer, $40. Get that when you buy the hearing aids, bump up the rewards check. What will he do for a dryer at Tru Hearing?

Batteries at CostCo are low cost. Where will he buy batteries if he gets the aids at Tru Hearing? (I have no idea how far he has to travel to CostCo, or if he already has a CostCo membership. I got the membership specifically for the hearing aids. I have a 45 minute drive one way to the nearest CostCo. So I buy a 4 month supply of batteries at a time.)

2 Likes

What insurance your father have to get that URMBT pricing and which truhearing program select or choice?

I’m not sure about replacement domes from TruHearing. And we hadn’t even considered buying a dryer.

They’ve had the executive Costco membership for a long time and plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future. The nearest one is less than 10 minutes away so it would be very convenient for cleanings or follow-up visits.

1 Like

He’s a UAW retiree. Not sure if it’s select or choice.

That is fantastic! Go to CostCo, get the KS 9’s. I have them, and the dryer.

1 Like

[:wink:… Hold out for an “I’m a CostcoNaut©” ball cap or tee shirt!]

Costco has a 6 month trial period. If the KS 10 comes out in that time you can return them and get the new ones. I did that when the KS 9 came out with no issues.

4 Likes

Thanks. We’re definitely leaning that way.

1 Like

I hadn’t even though of that. Has there been any news about a release date for the KS 10?

There is at least one thread about it on here somewhere. Still mostly speculation I think.

Any chance you have a link to that thread? Tried searching for it but no dice.

I’ve talked to Costco a couple of times. They’re convinced one is coming, but it still may be another month or possibly two. One rumor was that it would be made by Rexton. However, they only get official notice a few days in advance so it’s still very much up in the air. They are a bit “past due” from their typical 18 month pattern. (KS9 was released in July of 2019) All of their hearing aids except Phonak are under $2,000 per pair so they’re all great value.

1 Like

Is there another hearing aid in particular at Costco that might be worth shelling out a few extra bucks for over the KS 9.0?

It really depends on what you want. If you want rechargeable and you want Made for iPhone or Works with a select few Android, rather than Standard Bluetooth like the KS9, the Phillips is worth looking at. If you want rechargeable and a really good remote Microphone, the Resound Preza is another good aid and the MultiMic is a great accessory. If you don’t care about rechargeable and want to stream from different kinds of BT devices without an intermediate device, the KS9 is a great value. It’s also great for those with really steep ski slope losses. Posting your audiogram (click on “Forum” at the top and then “My Hearing Tests” to enter audiogram) could help others offer feedback.

2 Likes

He has an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S10e) and while he might be open to rechargeable, he’s currently leaning toward replaceable batteries. And he’d prefer not to use an intermediate device for streaming from his phone.

His last hearing test was in 2018 so I’d have to ask for his audiogram.

S10e should work well with Phillips, Resound and KS9. I’m not sure if either Phillips or Resound is available with replaceable batteries. If cost is primary, the KS9 is a fine choice.

2 Likes

Got it. Appreciate the info.

I chose the ks 9 over the 8 because of the android working much better with my pixel. I can’t imagine the ks 10 would not have that but you never know.

If the rumor about it being Rexton is right, it could indeed lose the “Standard Bluetooth” feature. Likely Made for iPhone and “Works with (some) Android” But who knows? If one for sure wants the KS9s approach to Bluetooth, one should keep an eye out and be prepared to pounce if the KS10 doesn’t maintain that approach.

1 Like