Jabra Enhanced Pro 20 - Tinnitus Manager

I just got fit for a pair of Jabra Enhanced Pro 20 at Costco. This is my first pair of hear aids. I have tinnitus in one ear and reduced hearing in that ear. It’s only been a couple of days and trying to get use to them. Reviewing the user manual it says they have an add-on to the app called “Tinnitus Manager”. I called Costco and I was told they don’t “think” it works with the Pro 20 but I don’t know why it wouldn’t because it is an add on for the app. Does anyone know if it work for this model? thanks.

Welcome to the forum, it should be available but needs to be turned on in the software first, it’s not confirmed Jabra 20 don’t have tinnitus controller, so it’s a DIY project unless you can find another clinic to do it.

1 Like

Thank you. I ended up calling Jabra and found out, you said, it is part of the software and needs to be turned on. Costco is not authorized to turn on the additional capability. It can be turned on by any Resound authorized seller but I would need to pay for the consultation. I plan on making an appointment and hopefully not an overly inflated fee. So now I know this is really a Resound product.

2 Likes

It can be turned on yourself if you want as was noted. If you want to compare costs - it’ll be about $170 or thereabouts for a noahlink device and the software is free. It’s not hard to do.

Otoh - I’ve tried it myself for mine (mine are 2 models behind but I don’t think there is any difference in that aspect). I didn’t find any effectiveness from it. It’s very hit or miss - which is why Costco doesn’t enable it.

1 Like

I don’t know why you doubted that! It’s exactly the same as the Resound Nexia, which is their latest premium aid.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I’m really on the fence on the tinnitus software addition. Noise canceling with noise has some value but I don’t think there is any true solutions at this point. I’ve tried other apps and they can be nice for relaxing but that’s about it. I was hoping the resound app would be nice to try if the price was under $50 but $170 is more than I want to pay for with a small chance or being beneficial.

To be honest this is the first time I’ve ever needed a HA and was a bit overwhelmed all of models, capabilities, and features so I didn’t spend much time studying each HA. I also didn’t think many manufacturers of HAs would be rebranding there products I’m learning a lot on this forum. Thx

1 Like

Resound also provides a standalone app called Resound Tinnutis Relief. At least for iPhones, not sure for android. You can download that for free and use it. Although different in concept from turning the function on in your aids, the end result is pretty much the same. In this case the ‘sounds’ are streamed from your phone.

2 Likes

Thank you, I looked for the app you mentioned but I don’t see it for Android. I did find by Resound app called “relief”. It’s nice for meditation or down time when it’s quiet.

1 Like

I am considering Jabra Enhanced Pro 20, and just discovered today online that I cannot get the tinnitus masker program with Costco. This will be my 2nd set of HA’s and I have moderate mid range hearing loss and tinnitus in both ears. I have older Resound HA’s that I need to upgrade. I thought I could go with the Jabra but I guess not if they won’t allow Costco to turn on the Masker program. I’ve heard of Noalink put do not know about it at all. What did you end up doing? I was ultimately trying to save money by going Jabra vs Resound. Sad right now. I need the masker, which I have programmed to white noise when I need it.

@KjKAN, hi,

I use Relief myself, on Android, when I need to; which is mostly at night in the quiet with my HAs out. The Jabras by themselves, with out the tinnitus support, help a lot to quiet my brain.

The NoahLink 2 Wireless device and the ReSound SmartFit 1.18 software on Windows is what HCPs use. It is available for DIY interested folks as well. The NoahLink Wireless is available on eBay and Amazon. The software you can ask about on the Hearing Aid Self-Fitting and Adjusting [DIY] group on this forum. I have not tried to turn it on yet myself but I do use the DIY setup. It is pretty straightforward and there are guides to read.

I wish you the best in your pursuit.

The golden question is, if I am successful in the DIY and turn on the masker and apply it to a program or two, am I voiding any warranty or support from Costco if/when I go back to them related to any programming help I’d like them to assist with, or hardware replacement? Thanks again @RSW for your help. I do use the Relief app some nights when I cannot quiet down, and HA’s come out. Something about traintracks in the rain that is very helpful to me lol.

1 Like

No you won’t void your warranty the tinnitus controller is built into the Jabra models for the sole purpose of treating tinnitus, Costco just don’t offer to turn it on, in fact they’ll tell you to go else where if you want this feature, their technicians aren’t trained to set this up for some reason.

2 Likes

I walked in to Costco today and went to the HA center. Nice to know they are open on Sunday. I asked a few questions about the Jabra 20’s. The staff was nice and helpful. They had a cancellation 45 minutes later, so I took the appt and was tested. The HA assistant put me in the Jabra 20’s and I walked around for a bit. Sounds fine but did not test any phone/streaming (dumb of me). I told her I wasn’t quite ready for the order, and our hour (ha) was up. She said she would continue working with me but I was ready to end it for today. I will make another appt to demo streaming and calls. Here’s my question: Could the JEP 20’s possibly be larger than the Nexia Micro RIE’s? Can anyone source the dimensions on these two hearing aids? I can’t find any. I did msg Resound tonight, but it may be end of week for a response.

The Jabre 20 is the EXACT hearing aid as the Resound Nexia 9, the sizes are identical!

Go to the app store and download the Resound Relief app… It is 100% compatible with the Jabre hearing aids. You can use one of the pre-set sounds or custom mix your our sounds by blending 33 different Environmental sounds, like Birds, Brook, Bubbles, Cavern, etc. Music sounds like, abstract Dreaming, etc. or Therapeutic sounds like Pink noise, Violet noise, White noise, Brown noise… These can be playing in the background as you are normally using your hearing aids…

1 Like

Go to the app store and download the Resound Relief app… It is 100% compatible with the Jabre hearing aids. You can use one of the pre-set sounds or custom mix your our sounds by blending 33 different Environmental sounds, like Birds, Brook, Bubbles, Cavern, etc. Music sounds like, abstract Dreaming, etc. or Therapeutic sounds like Pink noise, Violet noise, White noise, Brown noise… These can be playing in the background as you are normally using your hearing aids…

Welcome to the forum, maybe your reply was for someone else?

Welcome, Mike. Yes anyone can download the Resound Relief app, but it won’t work with Jabras sold at Costco unless the user either sets up DIY software and a Wireless NOAH device to turn on the tinnitus feature built in to the aids or goes to another audiologist and pays them an extra fee to do it. The tinnitus feature some aids come with must be switched on in fitting software. Costco sells aids with the feature switched off.

Why? I don’t think it’s a question of Costco fitters not being trained on how to do it, as suggested above. It’s just always been Costco policy, as far as I know, not to enable tinnitus suppression in their aids, or at least most of them. No insider info from me, but I believe they know customer satisfaction with hearing aid tinnitus relief is low, and they don’t want fitters wasting time in follow-up appointments about tinnitus relief, and more importantly to corporate profit, they don’t want customers returning aids because they’re unhappy with tinnitus relief.

Tinnitus “relief” is a misnomer. Hearing aids can’t eliminate or reduce tinnitus. They can only try to mask it with other sound in an effort to distract the wearer. Some people find this helpful, at least when at rest or sitting quietly and reading, etc. But if you’re trying to comprehend speech, listen to music, etc., the tinnitus relief feature in aids just injects more noise into the mix, which is not helpful.

For that reason I tried it a few times and never used it again. You can get the same effect with a smartphone app or a standalone device to play white noise or tones. I wouldn’t pay anything extra to have it in hearing aids. Your mileage, as always, may vary.

2 Likes

Welcome @Mike5. Thank you for the input. Have you seen both at the same time? I was given specs on the Resound, but not the Jabra. My trials have been delayed for various reasons, but hope to trial the Resounds in August. I plan on going to Costco during the trial.