Jabra Enhance Pro fitting failure

Having landed on the Enhance Pro based on a lot of reading, I went to Costco for a hearing test and test drive of the aids. At the end of the session the fitter sent me out to stroll around the warehouse to get a sense of how the aid performed. I was mightily impressed. Background noise was well managed, the sound was remarkably ‘natural’, with none of the overdriven mechanical tinniness I’d had when trying other aids. Most impressive was that I heard passing conversations clearly, which was a very nice surprise.
Two weeks later I went in to have a final fitting and take delivery. Had the same fitter. When we got past the initial test and Rear Ear measurements, things started going off the rails. She eventually reached out to Jabra/Resound audiologist for help with setting up the Bluetooth connectivity and tuning the aids. The final result was extremely disappointing. The sound is very tinny in all modes, but worse overall in streaming mode. I had a couple of calls on the way back to my office and would have done anything to stop the aids from picking up the calls. Sound was terrible and the callers could barely hear me.

So now I’m not using the aids. Have a second fitting appointment in a week or so, but my confidence is low. Having experienced how well they can work at the initial try out I now have my doubts that she will be able to get them set up to that level again. I spoke to Jabra support, who were equally puzzled by how a great initial test fitting could be so good and the full fitting could be so bad. Their suggestion was to ‘try other Costco hearing centers until you find a good one’, which sounds like a tortuous path.

I would gladly pay a good audiologist to set these aids up properly, but its unlikely that will happen given I bought the aids from Costco and the Jabra setup software is unavailable to anyone but Costco.

1 Like

If it’s that bad, don’t wait the week. Call them back and tell them you need in asap. Quick question… does the correct aid volume increase when you adjust it through the app? The reason I asked was that my Prezas came switch from the manufacturer. The right aid registered as the left one on the computer and left one registered as the right aid on the computer. Messed it all up.
It might be that you have to start from scratch. Tell the HIS to act like it’s a new fit, again. Using the info from your other visit.
It could also be the fitting setting. I can’t remember what it’s called but it’s where they click “new user”, “experienced user”, “experienced user -nonlinear”… I don’t remember the other options. That made a difference for me.

I’m guessing with your initial walk around trial they did not do REM? It sounds like you like the First fit better than after adjustments are made with REM. I clearly don’t know, but my guess is that you have a high frequency loss and were “underfit” for the walk around trial. They sounded great, but you were likely not getting much high frequency gain. You could likely learn to use more high frequency gain, but it would take working at it to get used to.

3 Likes

Read MDB’s post a couple times.
Very good chance he is describing what is happening with you.

Not quite, you can program them yourself, you can download and use your Jabra’s (ReSound) with the software, get yourself a Noahlink wireless and check out the DIY forum.

1 Like

Everyone from MisTrae down to tencan: you folks are amazing, and your advice is much appreciated. I’m leaning toward MDB’s analysis too, and tencan’s diy option is right down my street. I’ve already suggested to her that we restart the fit process based on the original trial settings. Will also be watching carefully for the naive - experienced setting.
Can’t thank you enough.

4 Likes

The setting I prefer is 'experienced-NonLinear ". We tried all of them and a few sounded “off”., it was an interesting experiment.

Tony, I had the same reaction after my first fit with REM for the Jabras, including the streaming experience. The fitter made some adjustments on my second visit, so that things improved somewhat. That is, except for the streaming, which I felt was always thin and tinny, no matter what I tried. I couldn’t hear a benefit from M&RIE receiver. Some people really like the sound and the sound stage, get a big benefit from the M&RIE receiver, and like the streaming. I couldn’t get them to sound better than my KS9s (I downloaded Smart Fit and Target and compared and tweaked the two aids), and I much preferred the KS9 streaming. I am trialing KS10s now.

We are all different.

I hope you can get them to work for you. I will say that the rechargeable Jabras, I think, have much better battery life, a better charger, and better power domes (for my ears), and probably a better app, compared to the KS10s.

2 Likes

@tony2 Glad that other Members have been so helpful to you; this forum is great. When you can make time, posting your audiogram in your profile would give the experienced members a lot more information so that answers to your ?s would be in the context of that aspect of your hearing loss. Posting your word recognition scores is also useful. Glad that you have a pathway forward.

Sensation takes place in the ear, listening (responding to and interpeting those sensations) takes place in the mind; the latter is both individual, often flexible and fluid. With giving open awareness to what the sensations are, what you then hear can change. Some of it takes place fairly automatically (e.g. if you have significant high frequency loss that has gone on for a while, then the mind adapts to that new information over a period of time - several weeks); some involves more of your intention and volition.

Enjoy the new experiences when you are in a situation that allows for experimentation.

2 Likes

The ReSound audiologist was on the line when we hit the streaming problem. She suggested a few tweaks which made little difference, then decided to create a new streaming profile which moved music streaming from intolerable to tolerable but way short of enjoyable. Its a manual switch to the new profile, so phone calls etc still use the standard streaming profile. I’ve confirmed with Jabra support that they can turn off auto streaming of phone calls, which is a good last resort.

Looks like a fast scramble up the DIY tuning learning curve is next on my agenda. Hopefully this will all be sorted in a week or two, especially with the help and advice from you experienced folks here!

1 Like

It is my understanding that fitting programs can only be used with Windows computers, not Macs. True???

In short, yes, you need Windows. Several years ago I did run a version of Target on a Mac using Windows via Parallels, but it was a pain. Life is too short.

I’m not sure these are current:

https://www.phonakpro.com/us/en/resources/fitting-and-tests/target-fitting-software/requirements-target.html

https://tinyurl.com/fhs666mf

Many Macs can run Windows in a nearly native mode using Bootcamp - I’ve used the current Oticon fitting software (Genie 2) on a Mac booting Windows 10 with Bootcamp. I expect that would work for other vendor software but that is only a guess, not a promise :slight_smile:

I’ve tried various alternatives (Parallels, VMware Fusion, and Oracle VirtuaBox) on Macs over time but have had issues with some specialized hardware and programs. Most of those issues haven’t haven’t come up with BootCamp but I’ve not used any hearing aid fitting software other than Genie under BootCamp. My Noahlink Wireless works fine with Genie 2 and Windows 10 with BootCamp. See the following if your are interested:

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant

You didn’t mention whether you use an Android or iPhone? If you use an iPhone, you can control music/call streaming on your phone (audio routing in settings) – seems like a better option than havng the fitter disable streaming functions.

The All Around program on my Jabra’s sounded tinny and intolerably high pitched no matter what I did. When I went back to the audiologist the directionality setting was switched from Omnidirectional to M&RIE. It made a huge improvement. Now it sounds natural. As streaming is not affected by microphones I’m guessing that would have to be adjusted in the processing (compression/expansion).

1 Like

I was surprised to be told by the audiologist at my recent Costco visit that the REM settings (?), which are NAL-NL 2, are different from the proprietary settings of each brand. I wonder if the initial 5 minute trial walking around the store was set to Jabra’s proprietary settings and that they were then modified in the fitting after REM.

I don’t understand any of this technical stuff, so take my comment for what it’s worth. Maybe someone more knowledge than I can shed some light on what the Costco Audi told me.

That’s probably right. The Real Ear Measurement is done using a separate piece of equipment that uses microphone tubes in the canal to test the how the aids respond to test tones etc. I expect the fitter transfers this result into the ReSound fitting software.
Caveat: My experience and reading on this stuff is paper thin. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who are guiding my quest.

I’m an Android user👍

1 Like

This is likely done because REM can’t be done with the proprietary rationale/formula, so they make a change to NAL 1 or 2 or another to suit.

Yes most likely, as no REM is done on the proprietary formula to start with.

Ok so what I mean is, REM can be done on any formula including a first fit, as you have noticed (it’s strange, but most don’t do this, for many different reasons) but not on the manufacturers proprietary.