Is there any way to add bluetooth capability to an Alesis QS8.1 keyboard?

I would love to be able to connect to my keyboard with both my KS10s and AirPods Pro 2 via bluetooth, rather than using wired earbuds or an amp, which introduces unwanted distortion… any ideas?

You can connect an Bluetooth Audio Adapter to the headphones output of your Alesis Keyboard.
The Bluetooth Audio Adapter need to be set into transmitter mode, and the hearing aids (or AirPods) need to be paired with the Bluetooth Audio Adapter.

Click on the links above to access different offers of BT-Audio Adapters.
These BT-Adapters come in various designs and different tech specs.
Some adapters do support additional codecs. But the KS10 / Phonak hearing aids only support the classic SBC bluetooth codec.

Keep in mind that the transmission via Bluetooth can be notably delayed , and the soundquality may be reduced because of the SBC bluetooth codec.

Thank you so much for the info. I had looked at these BT-adapters, but wasn’t sure they would work and how to set it up, as well as having concerns about possible delay. I guess the worst that can happen is I return it if it doesn’t work out…

1 Like

Good luck and let us know how it works out please!

Reading reviews on various keyboard musicians’ forums, consensus seems to be that latency is unacceptable on keyboard even with higher end bluetooth transmitters… so I may wait to spend the money on this. Too bad, as keyboard sounds terrible through an amp while wearing HAs- KS10s have too much digital processing, even on the Music setting. Interestingly, sound is much better, more natural, when listening through AirPod Pros.

Interesting. I don’t know what KS10’s are, but you could could probably use a brand TV adapter or streamer. By brand I mean the exact manufacturer of the KS10’s. The HA companies have pretty good Bluetooth compared to the general market.

Not sure if you’ve tried, but I read that the AirPod Pros can be tailored quite a bit sound-wise (for hearing loss, etc).

I do have a TV streamer that goes with my KS10s (similar to Phonak Paradise 90s), with optical input to TV. Plugging that into the keyboard optical input was a failure. But… just yesterday I found an additional cable I didn’t realize was in the old box, that can connect the streamer to the 3.5 input of the keyboard, with the help of an adapter. Since the streamer has virtually no obvious latency when used with the TV, it might just work… will let you know.
After fiddling with the iOS app for a bit, my AirPods are now pretty amazing at improving my hearing in situations where my HAs totally fail, such as speech in background noise. They are also fantastic at noise suppression… don’t really need to hear the AC roaring! New features just introduced in iOS 17 have improved them even further.

Wow, it works! All that was needed was finding that extra cable and adapter, and @grantb5 reminding me to try it again… thank you! I knew theoretically it should work, and was baffled that it didn’t. Sounds fantastic, automatically puts HAs in TV streaming mode. No latency, sound is right there when I press the keys.
Fantastic!

2 Likes