Listening to Digital Piano on hearing aids

I recently bought a cheap Casio digital piano. It doesn’t have Bluetooth but it does have an USB port. I would like to stream its music to my hearing aids so I can play without bothering anybody else.

I bought a cable and downloaded Casio’s Android app on my phone. The app confirms that my piano is connected, but all the options seem to be for recording music. When I hit a key the music still plays over the piano’s speakers and not on my phone. Is it possible to mute the piano and have the music stream to my HA instead?

Well it does seem that you’re gonna need to plug the Casio device into something that will stream to your HAs, there are dedicated BT streamers for one’s HAs to do this, but first check you user manual for your Casio, just to be sure it has the potential to do this.
What models are your HAs?

Do you have a tv streamer that is paired with your HAs? If the keyboard has a headphone jack, plug the tv streamer in there… good sound, no latency noticeable.

4 Likes

I don’t know what your hearing loss is, but sitting at a piano I would definitely rip out my HAs and prefer headphones- the OneOdio model is affordable, loud and excellent (~30$). You can also add a cheap amplifier (like a Lepo or AK35 model, 20-30$) if you need that. I use this combi when sitting behind my PC, also sometimes for my TV (music).

The user manual was written by someone with only a passing familiarity with English, but the keyboard definitely does not have Bluetooth. I didn’t know about BT streamers, I’ll check them out. Thanks!

I do have a TV streamer, I’ll give that a try. Unfortunately, my TV is in a different room from where I play the piano and it’ll be a pain to keep disconnecting & reconnecting the streamer. The streamer is kind of expensive but I guess I could buy a second one if I keep up the piano playing.

Thanks for the headphone suggestion. My hearing loss is severe-profound, so I would most likely need the amplifier. With that much amplification would the headphones still lock in the sound so it doesn’t bother anybody else?

Since you may have to buy another streamer, I’ve had good performance from 1Mii, around USD $30. If your keyboard has a 1/8" earphone jack (and if your brand HA’S will pair with it) it might work. I have one that works with my Phonaks on a TV that doesn’t come with Bluetooth capability. It’s also rechargeable, so no extra power cable to always need connection.

" 1Mii Bluetooth 5.3 Transmitter Receiver for TV to Wireless Headphones"

You did not mention whats your hearing aids modes/maker and whats your Casio piano model.

Please keep in mind that bluetooth have significant latency and you don’t want that when playing piano.

The best solution is the TV streamer connected to the headphone out of your piano, then you are fine because the TV streamer have no significant latency.

See also this tread

Connect the TV-streamer to the 3.5 headphone output of the Piano/keyboard, with the help of an adapter.

I can’t imagine that a modern electronic keyboard doesn’t have a head phone jack so that one can listen via headphones and silence the keyboard for anyone else in the room. That being the case, I can tell you that my Roger Select iN can be plugged into things with head phone jacks and then send the sound directly into my HAs, Phonak M19-13T. If you don’t have Phonak HAs, I would guess that you could find something similar for the ones you do have. The Roger is not cheap, but it’s so versatile that you will find yourself using it all over the place, out at dinner, listening to the TV, in a meeting, and so forth.

There’s a lady at my church who used to make our pastor wear a Roger so that she could hear better. I learned to poach from her Roger so that I could hear better as well. But then, I started worrying about other, non-Roger, people, so got the church set up with a variety of other options. Now the Roger lady and I both use a telecoil neck loop. Others use headphones.

That sounds much cheaper than buying another TV streamer. The keyboard does have a earphone jack. My HA are Jabra Enhance Pro 10, will they connect to the 1Mii?

1 Like

This was the solution. I use Jabra’s remote mic and I had completely forgotten that you can plug a headphone cord into it! It’s working like a charm. Thanks for all your help!

4 Likes

That I don’t know. Amazon may let you return it if they won’t pair.