Is there any programming the audi can do with the Phonak Roger On?

To help with Upward Spread of Masking she uses Roger Mic.

I believe that’s what @Zebras meant.

1 Like

Yes, your educational audiologist was verifying your FM and making some minor adjustments to try to better match prescriptive targets.

Pediatric audiologists sometimes have slightly more rigorous behaviours, which makes sense given that children are more limited in their ability to give feedback on what their hearing aids are doing.

What do you mean by “verify FMs”? I have a Roger ON iN, so should I ask my audi if she verified the FM?

We check them on the testbox with the hearing aids to make sure they are meeting prescriptive gain targets.

1 Like
1 Like

Upward masking is to make sure low frequencies are not overpowering high frequencies. Aka making sure it’s not giving you more background noise.

Interesting! My audi has never done this with my Rogers, and I definitely feel that when in a noisy restaurant, they pick up way too much ambient noise to be useful. So I just end up putting the Roger away and going into Speech in Loud Noise on my Phonak Lumity Life aids. Not perfect either, but definitely cuts out BACKGROUND noise.

@1Bluejay Tonight I used the procedure that some have suggested here on the forum. Used the Roger On in a noisy restaurant and put my HAs on mute. Worked great and I was able to converse comfortably with my wife.

2 Likes

Hey Raylock, I am SO glad that worked for you! Based on an earlier thread about this, I asked my audi yesterday if I could also have a “mute” added to the on/off button program.

She said that with my hearing loss, if I MUTE the aids and only get sound through the Roger, I may not even hear enough to stream. I didn’t put it to the test, but I know what she’s saying. I can NOT EVEN HEAR using earbuds or headphones unless my aids are in my ears and turned on.

Case in point: today I had my first ever MRI. I warned the techs that after my aids come out, normal conversation as we know it ceases - completely. I would need to go feet first into the MRI tube cuz if they need to flag me, it’s gonna have to be with a piece of paper and something written on it.

Before starting the MRI, the tech asked what kind of music I’d like to listen to as he placed a pair of headphones on me. Um. Guffaw! I told him it wouldn’t matter what was playing. I wouldn’t hear it. So the test commences. I didn’t HEAR the noise as much as I FELT it. (kinda creepy, too! especially the first 5 min of BONGING like a rapid heartbeat!)

But then, towards the end of the 30 min, I could faintly detect Elton John’s “Yellow Brick Road”. That made me smile! It was super faint in the headphones, but I could still hear a smidge of it. And there you are! I was “muted” without aids in the MRI tube, headphones on BLASTING music (prob’ly jacked up to 150 dB?) and barely able to hear it.

Cinderblocks. That’s what hangs on the sides of my head.

When you mute the hearing aids, the Roger on still streams at full volume.

2 Likes

So are you saying that streaming the Roger at full volume thru aids turned OFF (as in being muted) could be loud enough for me to hear? Ack. If I was a DIYer with my own copy of Target sw, I’d tinker with it and add a MUTE button to see (or rather hear!) if it could work for me.
:thinking:

I think I remember something about if you get the other receiver licenses the Audi can increase the volume of the roger even more. Maybe @Zebras knows what I may be misremembering?

WH

Yes it’s called EasyGain on the 02 licenses.

Can be raised to +18 dB.

1 Like

@ one last try @1Bluejay .
If you give in to the app it will get you half way.

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely. There must have been some miscommunication with your audiologist. If you can hear with your hearing aids at all, you’ll be able to hear throught the Roger with the hearing aid microphones muted, and this does reduce some restaurant background noise.

2 Likes

And how does that work with Roger In licenses?

WOW! I am so glad you pointed that out. I will share this information with my audi when I go back to retrieve the 2nd pair of BUSTED Lumity Life aids.

I won’t give up on the Roger solution! :grinning:

Her post regarding the 03 license is HERE.

I’m also intrigued to know this

if there is a new Firmware (actually V.2) for Roger On, your audiologist should be able to send it to your Roger On, if yours has the old one (V.1).

Or you can update it yourself using USB and a windows PC, you will need to install a phonak roger upgrader program.

2 Likes