Is it possible or practical to buy from distant audiologist?

In return for getting 10 percent discount on new hearing aids, l help the seller by reprogramming aids that are shipped to me by her North America clients and make the adjustments for free. I taught myself how to program aids.
I have several ebooks on Audiology. I have lots of info on programming aids from our DIY forum on Hearing Tracker forums.

2 Likes

You better be sure you have the proper state certification and/or license for your business venture. Better to be safe than sorry.

1 Like

It’s a DIY hobby. This is not something l do every month. I don’t make any profit so it’s not an business.

Where does one get that software and hardware? And at what price?

i agree, be cognizant Uncle Sam carries a big stick and is not a touchy feely kind of entity. Unlicensed Doctors or lawyers can tell you

Answering to your question, please visit this thread: DIY School - (v2.0)

Now, going on a longer and general answer to your first post I’ll tell you about my experience:

I went that route with my first pair of hearing aids (Marvel) just about 2.5 years ago. I’m in the EU so I bought them on Ebay from a Cyprus audiologist, with the devices pre-programmed to my audiogram by him, by about 50% of the price they would have costed me from a local practice in my country.
To be clear, the original programming by the Cyprus audiologist was unbearable :laughing:
I also wanted to go full DIY so I purchased the Noalink Wireless and got the software (thanks to this forum).
I tried with a local practice that did a somewhat better job but still suboptimal as they didn’t follow best practices (they refused to do REM even when I explicity asked for it).
To get optimal results I had to find another audiologist in France (a neighboring country) which follows bests practices, he did REM, a WRS test, and provided me with custom earmolds, and he collaborates with my DIY. I only had to do very minor adjustments to his programming, mostly related to bluetooth and phone usage.

I strongly recommend you to find a practice that follows best practices and is willing to work with you for a fee. Otherwise it is highly likely that your results will be very suboptimal.

1 Like

I’m really not all that clever with physical things like putting things together - my one talent which I haven’t practiced lately is in writing for business and/or pleasure. Physical directions like N, S, E, W - don’t do well there either. My prior residence where I lived for 27 years I never did get the hang of directions although I admit whoever designed the layout of the streets I sometimes suspect did it at least in part as a practical joke. So I really would be reluctant to bet my fortune on DIY hearing aid adjustments. Part of the problem is my A.D.D. - I get frustrate rather quickly - jeez I sound like a real loser and/or juvenile delinquent when I look at my curriculum vitae here online.

If I were to ship my hearing aids off to someone to adjust and then mail back to me I’d be dead in the water the entire time without hearing aids. And what if they got lost? It sounds like it might work but WHAT IF … ?

Just remember there’s always automatic fine tuning, available in all software in one form or another, first fit as well, all you need to do is enter your audiogram and acoustics
(domes,or molds) and let the software do the rest, it’s a good way to learn, fine tuning can come later, basically the same as when making adjustments in the App.

2 Likes

This is news to me so I can’t remember what I never heard HOWEVER I can learn from your post and thank you kindly - I will certainly investigate and follow your suggestion.

On second thought - I guess I did know “sort of” about the app tuning - I just haven’t been doing it since my current hearing aids need more than an app - more like REPLACEMENT.

Try online. I bought my first par of HA online two full years ago from Lively, which is now Jabra. There are several other now that the OTC laws changed. I Wear them all the time (12-16 hours every day) and I’m really gald I started this way because I could not have started out with the $6K or $7K when I really did not know what to expect. In two years I have only had about 4 online appt’s to adjust. I can request new online visit for free anytime, but don;t bother because fiddling with something that’s working could always make it worse by accident. They just work, so I’m really surprised at all the discussions about multiple audiology visits and folks that just can’t get satisfied with the adjustments. For me if iI hear better with them than without them, I leave it alone and think about something else. Seems like some folks chase “perfect” hearing, but I don’t think that will really happen for very many of us. I know the cheap Lively (with replaceable battery every week) are far from the top-of-the line and I still can struggle in noisy placs, but these have helped me a lot. After 2 years I may upgrade to higher tech HA and will check out some locals first, but also will entertain buying a better set online.

4 Likes

HOW does one set up such a purchase. I’m looking at Fit Hearing Telehealth and I really need to get new hearing aids but this whole thing ordering on line makes me anxious. But then so much has changed - so much of what I should to shop for locally I now order online. I’m not very trustful of our government either that seems to be selling us out. I mean from what I understand the banks are tied into the whole thing - WHO can read all the fine print they tell you to read before you agree to log on or buy or whatever. Why do I feel like I/we are sliding down into a deep dark rabbit hole. One part of the problem which seems funny but not funny is that if/when “they” call me to discuss these DEALS on hearing aids is that I CAN’T HEAR THEM WELL ENOUGH to be sure what’s being said.

There are testimonials from supposed customers but how can we truth they are real people? I mean there are robots roaming the internet. I don’t mean to sound like a nervous Nellie but I GUESS I AM?

I need to go think about this. OH BOTHER - a little old for it but I remember that’s what Winny the Pooh (Bear) used to say.

Don’t rush, Talk your time to read what is written in the forum. The best is to trail the HA’s until you are satisfied then only you buy them.

1 Like

Just read the reviews of these online sellers.
The one I’ve bought my HAs from is very popular and you could tell from the consumers‘ feedback on the internet that the service would be satisfying.
And they seemed very professional when I talked to them on the phone.

But, honestly, no offence, you don’t seem to be the right customer for remote fine tuning. It’s not for everybody. Definitely not for first time users but neither for people that are not so comfortable with computers, video calls and such. And not indicated for people that also need a human touch from the audiologist.

1 Like

How near is the closest Costco Hearing Center to where you live?

Costco sells top of the line hearing aids for about $1600 for a pair. They do state of the art fitting (REM). And they also have a 180 day full refund.

They might be worth considering even if you have to stay in a hotel overnight.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info - Costco is about an hour away. And yes if the price is so much cheaper a motel room would be worth it. I’ll check it out.

I’ve gotten to be a not-so-trusting soul in these crazy times so I don’t always believe everything in customer reviews. Sort of I do but I’m discriminating looking at them with a skeptical eye. Nothing seems to low for SOME of mankind if it means earning prestige and/or money.

I appreciate your opinion and will take it into consideration. I’m not so uncomfortable with online video calls. As far as human touch of an audiologist, my lost one was cold and critical fish. So I try to look at each situation on its merit, what’s possible and what’s likely. I won’t write them off as I might have without opinion shared such as yours and others who similarly posted.

Thanks.

1 Like

At Costco, you have 6 months to trial the HA’s. Try until you are happy and hear clearly. Do not waste unnecessary money. Slowly you will get used to the HA and the sound you hear. Take your time to get the best.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement - it sounds as though you speak from experience so I will certainly follow your advice to see where it leads me. Clarify please if you would but since Costco is not a benevolence association it seems logical to conclude that one must pay all or a portion of the cost of the hearing aid irregardless of a trial period?

1 Like

Yes, you pay for everything up front at Costco but you can get a full refund within 180 days if not happy.

2 Likes

From whom did you buy? Apologize if I missed it.