Is it possible or practical to buy from distant audiologist?

In the area where i live there seems to be basically a corner on the market by one audiology firm for all cities and towns nearby. And the prices here seem to be considerably higher than what i see from other forum members getting elsewhere. It might be a case of price fixing although i doubt they would be called out for it.

Anyway my question is I wonder if its possible or practical to buy farther afield if remote programming was an option. Because being of limited financial resources its the only way short of a windfall inheritance which doesnt seem likely - that i could ever get the advanced technology i need for profound hearing loss i have. Maybe its verbotten a form of price shopping for drugs.

1 Like

There are companies that sell and fit HAs remotely. (I am attaching a link for one.) I have not bought HAs online, so have no idea about how well this works.

1 Like

Thanks i will check it out.

Don’t know if you’re aware, but many folks have started the DIY route to save on HA cost. There’s a whole DIY section in this forum with plenty of DIY folks you can learn from if you’re so inclined. But of course not everybody is so inclined, I’m just throwing it out there as an option.

If you opt to go with a remote HCP, keep in mind that they won’t be able to do REM remotely for you. REM is not a requirement, but it’s an important best practice. Of course if you choose the DIY route, REM won’t be available to you either. But DIY folks can make up for the lack of REM themselves because they’re in complete control of how they can program their aids to address any issue they run into personally.

You can also do half and half. Buy from a remote HCP and have them preprogram the aids to your hearing loss prescription, and do remote adjustment through them (if they agree). But if it doesn’t work out well, then you can proceed with the DIY to take matters into your own hands.

6 Likes

I recently bought my second pair of HAs online, after making sure that the company was reliable (Auzen, a Swiss company that also distributes in Italy).

I’m very satisfied, prices are way cheaper, the audiologist is competent and remote fitting simply works.
It obviously comes with some shortcomings in terms of assistance if something breaks just because you would have to send the HAs to them and stuff) but it’s pretty much all balanced by the benefits in terms of costs.

I obviously wouldn’t suggest that to a new HA adopter though, as I think that the human contact with the audiologist is necessary in your first steps with them.

Be patience when buying online. Time is money. Read this forum thoroughly and then you decide. Are you buying online in EU, USA or UK? Careful on tax if you are buying in EU. Put an audiogram in this forum, then there were comments on the type of hearing aids suitable for your hearing loss.

Happy surfing.

5 Likes

I personally have given up on the local hearing practices. For the past 10 years I have been driving 2 hours to Costco. If I needed then, they you mail me domes and filters. My aids did not support remote support.

I am currently driving 2.5 hours to a University audiology practice in a neighboring state. So far, I am pleased but they don’t do remote support across state lines.

2 Likes

Thanks, yours and others very helpful insight i would like to discuss further this evening. An appointment for grocery pickup awaits. Groceries and mulch and garden soil, have a time fitting it all in my trunk.

I have brought hearing aids from an audiologist based in NY. She gets them from India. I programmed the aids myself. She has eight clients in North America and they don’t want to ship their aids to India so it gets shipped to me and l do the programming and reduce feedback. So far right clients are happy.

1 Like

Do you charge for the programming or are you a good samaritan with time on his hands? How did you learn programming,? Is there a crash course i can signup for or learn online?

Thanks

Sounds like its working for you, hope it continues in your favor. Why have you given up on locals?

I would be buying in the U.S. i need to learn to decipher my hearing tests and then i could post audiogram and be able to decide which opinions and suggestions for hearing aids i could have confidence in. Thanks for your suggestions

1 Like

Since im not new to using hearing aids i appreciate you sharing your experiences

I guess trials arent likely if you purchase long distance?

The shop where I bought it gives you 1 month trial and I’ve seen that even others do that.

Basically you can get a full refund if you return them within 30 days.

1 Like

If you want to DIY, you need the software and hardware to tune the HA’s. Or you get the Audi to tune it first and only you DIY. Not sure the Audi in your area/country will do the fine tuning or adjustment for you. Just be careful. You have to ask around by phone call.

In the US the laws vary by state. Costco gives a full refund within 180 days. I am currently using a provider in North Carolina that has no law for a trial period. They allow you to return your aids for a refund within 60 days minus a $400 fee to cover their services.

In return for getting 10 percent discount on new hearing aids, l help the seller by reprogramming aids that are shipped to me by her North America clients and make the adjustments for free. I taught myself how to program aids.
I have several ebooks on Audiology. I have lots of info on programming aids from our DIY forum on Hearing Tracker forums.

2 Likes

You better be sure you have the proper state certification and/or license for your business venture. Better to be safe than sorry.

1 Like

It’s a DIY hobby. This is not something l do every month. I don’t make any profit so it’s not an business.

Where does one get that software and hardware? And at what price?