iPhone vs Android

My Google Pixel 2 XL gets updates, security, fixes, new features / improvements every month since I got it new October 2017 and will continue into October 2021 on a monthly basis when it reaches EOL.

My Apple iPhone Xs Max new September 2018 has received seven iOS updates until now, March 2019. I’ve not seen an EOL statement from Apple for this model.

I’ve had Samsung, Nokia, HTC, Motorola, LG, Huawei, Asus smartphones that often got only one or two updates if any. Higher end (more expensive) phones get update more often and for a longer life span.

1 Like

Just tried the Phonak Marvel higher end on my android S7. Bad performance. Pairing is a major problem. Limited stability and customization, in my opinion compared to for instance Widex of the same category. But Widex is with iphone only. And I don’t care for the i[hones way over priced for the features that we use 80% of the time! So what are we left with?

My sister was head of IT for many years where she worked and she is of a similar mindset.

1 Like

If you want to stick with Android, you’re left with using a streamer, which is not so bad in my opinion. Check out this thread.

1 Like

Why in the world would you want Windows Phone to be “the one and only phone OS”? Microsoft had an opportunity to be a player in the mobile space and they completely blew it. If you consider how badly off the rails Microsoft Update has been since the introduction of Windows 10, Microsoft doesn’t deserve to have a virtual monopoly on desktops, let alone also mobiles. That’s not to say it’s a good thing Microsoft failed. With Windows Phone going away, the market is left with only two choices. It would be better for consumers if there were more options, not fewer.

Android and iOS each have their strengths and weaknesses. Neither of them is good enough to deserve having a monopoly. IMO, Microsoft, Google and Apple all have gotten too big and too powerful for the good of computer and mobile consumers.

1 Like

Not sure why LastPass is being discussed in a thread comparing iPhone and Android, as an advantage of Android. LastPass works on Windows, Android and iOS. It’s true that LastPass was able to bypass the Android clipboard before it was able to bypass the iOS clipboard, but since iOS 12, it does, so there is no advantage to either Android or iOS.

LastPass is a great application. I’ve been using it on Windows, Android and iOS for several years. Initially, it was quite buggy, but it’s gotten much better and now you can say it works very well. It’s not the only good password manager, however. There are others that have large and satisfied user communities as well.

1 Like

It simplifies things if the laptops, tablets, and phones run an OS from the same family.

I haven’t really considered Chromebooks in the past but with more things running off the cloud it creates an opening for them. We will just have to see what they do with it. Some companies are moving some VDI applications to Chromebooks and it seems to be working OK.

On iPhone vs. Android, the whole consideration is that the smartphone interface is the end of the evolution game. There might be a future where smartphones are just a more modest part of a whole wearables/ambient AI assistant/smartphone game.

There is stuff going on like Oracle’s suit against Google over use of Java and the Apple/Qualcomm battle and Huawei’s dominance in things cellular outside the U.S. The European Union liking to make things difficult for American technology companies it sees as too dominant, etc., working on balkanizing the Internet.

So I think one should be careful in thinking that we’ve just ended up with iOS vs Android and which one is the best to go forth with. We got there through a evolution of technology and competition in the U.S. but now in a more global economy, there could be some seismic events that change the landscape. Will Huawei be content being Google’s handmaiden forever in terms of the Android OS, etc.

Given Microsoft’s past successes with hardware stuff in recent years, I doubt the Hololens is our future. But there is Magic Leap and Apple is said to be working on an augmented reality wearable. If someone came out with a really good AR glasses on the order of everyday glasses in size and weight, I’d probably go with that OS and whatever smartphone or wearable was made to use with that - and if that seems like a ridiculous premise, phones are now more powerful than computers 60 or 70 years ago that filled whole rooms and literally required tons of air conditioning to run.

So Android vs. iOS? I’m not so sure it will really matter in 10 or 20 years. There is going to be something else that goes beyond the smartphone and OS’s dedicated to a phone/tablet interface.

60 or 70 ??!! Try 20 to 30 or so. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@z10user2 I just wanted the tremendous size differential to emphasize that a Google Glass/Hololens/Magic Leap equivalent today might similarly become a much more manageable size and weight that one would not feel is ridiculous to wear around. Alex Kipman, the godfather of the Hololens for Microsoft, has stated that in 5 years time they may succeed in reducing the Hololens to reading glasses size by using “foveated vision” technology where all the hard computational work is just done for the area the foveal area of the eye is looking at and peripheral vision is left “fuzzier” as it is in normal unaided vision.

Precisely why my wife’s and my personal devices are all Apple (phones, laptops, tablet, etc.).

I have been the family CIO and Help Desk since I bought my first PC clone ca. 1987. I find the Apple devices all work much better together than Windows devices ever did.

2 Likes

Ha. No thanks…

Steven I am with you I retired from being a Microsoft System Engineer and after retirement I get tired of dealing with Windows, Linux, and all of the other OSs. I switched to Apple all the way and my life is fun and easy. The IPhone, Ipad, Mac, and Watch just all work together. No issues with different email apps, no issues with different messaging apps. It just works.

1 Like

Well you two hold on to those devices because Apple announced they will become a services and subscriptions company. They don’t like the term that everyone else is using, that they are de-emphasizing hardware and OS.

Without there hardware their services will be useless

Since you seem to have heard something, I’d be interested to know where you heard it.

How about this for a pipe dream…open OS/hardware agnostic. Oh wait…we already have the second leading OS doing that.

(I’m still holding on to my antique BB OS10 :slight_smile: )

Todays Showtime event not received well today however.

I see Apple finally doing what it has needed to do for a while an add services to its hardware. This just means that the hardware is mature so the number of phones, computers, and tablets can now get the needed the services to take the hardware to the next level.

That’s the kind of spin they are counting on from the base. This is the first step and is fairly cheap to do. The next thing is to use their huge cash balance to buy some other companies.

There’s a lot to like about Apple & my wife loves it, but I stopped being a Apple fan years ago. Primarily because I don’t feel the need to use the internet to stream music.

I use a MicroSD card that has about 15-20G of music stored on it. The only music that I play on my phone comes from the MicroSD card.

Quite a bit of that music is NOT in the apple / I-tunes music library. (some of which came from CD’s that are no longer available)

Every time Apple updated the OS, as part of the “update” it deleted all the music that it did not recognize.

It took me hours to restore the music that Apple decided to delete. My position was further cemented when Apple decided to eliminate the headphone jacks on their phones.