Android users, tell me about your experience

android

Android users, I would like to hear about your bluetooth usage. Tell me what kind of aids you’re wearing, how you connect to your phone, and how well your setup works (or doesn’t work) for you. Pros and cons.

I would rather this not become an Android vs. Apple debate. I simply want to hear Android users experiences. Thanks.

Updates:

1. Also let us know if a smartwatch is included in your setup.
  2. Does your streamer (if you use one) also function as a remote for volume and/or program changes.

Bluetooth streamers and battery life
Time for new aids. Looking for brand advice

Hi, BlueCrab,

Any chance you’re from MD? I’m from Baltimore, now in CA… and sure miss me some steamed crabs (even after 30-plus years).

As for Android/mifi, I loved my Android phone. Tried it with Phonak’s Audeo B-Direct when I needed new aids about a year ago. Had several issues: app was not stable; the microphone on the aid was problematic for those on the other end of the call; and I knew I could probably do better with steaming to both aids (the Phonak only streams to one).

After trying several other aids, I ended up deciding I needed to take the plunge into iPhone (which I’d long resisted) and went with the Signia Pure Nx—which I really like. The phone streaming is excellent. My only struggle is when I have to use conference calling at work. But that’s really a networking/internet issue rather than a hearing aid/phone issue.

OK…I have worn hearing aids now for about 18 years. Several years ago I got fed up with my very nice woman owned audiology center when one of her subordinates told me I was smirking during her sales pitch. I decided to buy hearing aids that I could program myself. Since I buy most everything online, I ended up with Sound World Solutions Companion Hearing Aids. My right hearing aid connects directly and instantly to my LG smart phone after initial pairing. The android application for programing the aids is on the Google Play Store and works fine for me after I got used to it. Later, I bought an Alead Live Microphone2 Bluetooth wireless mic. It paired easily and connects with my left hearing aid. My Windows 7 laptop also pairs with my left hearing aid.

I can’t use a telephone but I can use my LG smartphone to hold a conversation. I just hold it in front of me or lay it on my desk. I lay the mic on the card table when playing cards with my wife and on my doctor’s desk whenever I have an appointment. It really improves my understanding what is being said.

My hearing aids have built in rechargable batteries that I charge each night. They last about 12 hours of use when new and last about two years. Battery replacement costs $50 but when I mailed one in for replacement, Sound World techs found something to fix and it costs about $100. Sound World had a 25% off sale some time ago and I bought another pair for spares.

These behind the ears aids are not small, probably because the battery is not small but at my age, It makes no difference to me. They suit me fine and work better than my old Audibel hearing aids ever did.

The big PRO is they cost less than $800 for a pair and you don’t have to wear a halter around your neck to enable Bluetooth operation.

The only “con” is that they are not perfect. I still have trouble understanding my youngest grandson but it is some consolation that his mother has trouble understanding him too. Also, my wife still tries talking to me when we are not face-to-face or even in the same room.

Finally, I don’t use the domes supplied with the hearing aids. I buy cheap “3.0mm Memory Foam EARBUDS EARTIPS” from a Chinese seller on eBay.

No chance. Actually, I don’t even care for seafood that much. The username refers more to my general demeanor. :roll_eyes:

Good to know. I’ve had the same microphone issue with the Starkey that I’m trialing. Worked better with the streamer, but I hated the streamer. Getting another type of streamer to try out next week.

Ugh!

Well, thanks for the input. That was helpful!

Oticon OPN1 and Connectclip. Brilliant for phone calls and podcasts. Really the only stressless way of talking on the phone that I’ve found. Completely hands-free is nice for driving. Also, the ability to initiate and take calls when the phone is mislaid (but in the vicinity). A con is obviously the thing hanging around your neck. Music sounds thin to me. Some people say that you can improve that with adjustments.

I’m 66 years old and just got my first hearing aids exactly two weeks ago. I went to Costco and my fitter recommended the Phonak Brio 3 R-C. So far I’ve been very happy with them. After several years with an iPhone I switched to Android and will never go back. The phone only streams to one ear but that’s not a problem for me. I only use one ear when talking on the phone anyway. I haven’t used the TV connector though.

I have a pair of Phonak Brio 3 from Costco (Phonak Audeo B90 312T). I use Bluetooth connections several hours a day. I use a Phonak Com Pilot II (the Bluetooth device for my hearing aids). I connect to my Android phone, my office phone, using a Plantronics MDA200, laptops, tablets, TV using the Phonak TV Link transmitter, and to other devices using a generic Bluetooth transmitter. The Com Pilot has great battery life and that helps keep me going all day.

I take all cell phone calls and all office calls through the hearing aids using the Com Pilot. All meetings are now online through Webex and the audio goes through the office phone and transmitted also. I want everything possible transmitted because my speech understanding is higher that way.

The Com Pilot is solid and has good connections and performance. You can connect a lapel Mic to the Com Pilot and that is what I use. I bought a $10 lapel Mic that works great and my callers say it sounds like I’m talking on a handset and does not sound like a speakerphone. With the lapel Mic in place, and since the Com Pilot announces the caller id, I wear the Compilot under my shirt and never take it out, and keep my cellphone in my pocket unless I initiate a call (or play a game or watch a video).

I’m very happy with my setup and wouldn’t do it any other way.

Is that a direct connection, no streamer?

Yes, that is a direct Bluetooth connection to my Android phone. Phone rings through HA and voice streams to one ear only. The microphone in the HA picks up my voice. It works very well, however, there have been a couple of instances when people had a hard time hearing me and I had to switch back to using the phone conventionally. I think in a loud environment there is too much background noise. Since I retired, I spend very little time on the phone so it’s not a big deal for me.

The only streamer available for the Brio 3 R-C is the TV Connector. I haven’t tried it yet but probably will.

Wasn’t this addressed for the better in a firmware update of the HA’s?

I have Starkey latest with Surflink. Third set and I connect to my Android Phone and Tablet fine. Not problems for telephone and voice. Play high quality music fine. My TV, Samsung Smart TV, is a bit balky in making the connection but after its fine.

Hmm… I’ll have to look into that. These are my first hearing aids ever and I’ve only had them for two weeks so I’m kind of new to all of this. I have a follow-up in a week so I’ll ask about it.

Is that the SurfLink Mobile with the touchscreen, or the SurfLink Mini Mobile with the button?

Surflink 300 with touchscreen.

@Don, I have a similar setup. Which mic do you use? I use the original from Phonak for about 20$. I am most of the day connected to ComPilot and my Android for phonecalls, both for mobile and landline (VoIP via SIP and WiFi).
@BlueCrab Phonak has just announced Audeo M-Direct for direct streaming from any LE-capable bluetooth-device to both HAs.

I tried the SurfLink Mobile and couldn’t stand it. I had two main issues:

1. I was wearing it around my neck with the lanyard. If I tried to grab it and look at the screen, the screen would be upside down. Turning it over to see the screen while hanging from the lanyard would bring it too close to my face and my tired old eyes couldn’t read it.

2. I turned on the one-touch answer feature, which was great, but it doesn’t have a one-touch hang up feature. To hang up I needed to look at the screen (see issue 1).

I also thought it was a bit on the heavy side.

Thanks for your input though. I’m glad it’s working out for you.

Does the ComPilot use a neckloop antenna?

That’s very good info. Thanks for your input.

I bought a Mic and it had magic in the name, magic Mic or magic sound, something like that. Costco gave me the Phonak Mic but the outgoing sound was not very good. This $10 mic is better quality and has a metal clip.

Edit: This is it but it is a trrs mic and the Com Pilot II requires a trs mic so I had to also use a trrs to trs adapter.

Yes it doesn’t stream unless you wear it around your neck. Since I have worn a Bluetooth device around my neck every day since the original Resound Phone Clip in 2011, that is no problem for me.

I have no problem wearing something around my neck either. But I had major issues with my Siemens EasyTek. I was under the impression that the neckloop technology was the culprit. I wonder if Phonak’s technology is different?