iPhone vs Android

Fake news instigated by Apple to combat falling iPhone sales! :grin:

<<<just kidding>>> Actually, one of the most worrisome things about Android is that ~any app has access to the contents of your clipboard. If you copy and paste anything in Android, don’t do it with any sensitive information (since I don’t yet have the latest Android Pie edition of Android, don’t know whether this has been fixed in Android 9.0).

I basically use my Android phone with the idea if I want to do anything secure like check my cell phone account, my bank account, or Quicken that the app makers have taken the necessary steps to secure usage within the app. I do almost all my online shopping and browsing on a computer where my ISP provider, the places I visit, etc., are all tracking my activities anyway - and I don’t feel that I’m doing anything that necessitates “in-private” browsing or a VPN to a Scandanavian country, etc.

My ISP is Google Fi which now includes a choice to use a Fi developed VPN. I turn it ON and I’m supposed to have VPN protection, whatever that entails. But then I too trust my banking app, Amazon, etc. to be secure. I also use LastPass password manager. I also do most everything, including HearingTracker, on my Windows 10 computer. So far, so good!

So Last Pass avoids the Android clipboard? I’ve been thinking that I should use it - right now if I want to use a password on my phone, I have been manually typing it in as I don’t think my password manager (eWallet) can automatically supply it to an Android app (maybe just my ignorance).

Is there an iPhone clipboard? If there is, maybe a knowleldgeable iPhone user can comment on how secure it it.

The Android clipboard is not used in any way by LastPass.

The LastPass vault is used by both my Windows 10 computers and my Android Pixel phone. We use the LastPass family plan and I’m the administrator. I share some sites with my wife such as banking and that works beautifully. And yes, LastPass also supplies login names and passwords to Android apps. If your interested, go to lastpass.com and look it over.

Thanks for the tip, Gary. I hadn’t really researched the features of Android, being an exiled ex-Windows Phone user. But I see searching my Oreo settings that there is an OS Autofill Service by default available to either a Google or Samsung password manager and I can add Last Pass to that. I see Last Past is a product of LogMeIn, a long-standing PC company from the good ol’ days and I’ve had a Last Pass account for browser logins but up 'til now was reluctant to give up Iliumsoft’s eWallet, which I’ve used for 10 to 15 years. But eWallet has always been slow to add new features and it looks like it’s missing the boat on employing the Android Oreo Autofill service to send passwords directly to apps (as well as web browser logins). The one feature that gives me a bit of pause is that Last Pass gets permission to read anything on your screen, the better to fill out forms and decide where the user name, where the password is required, etc… I guess I should start using an authenticator, too, to go along with the password manager. Lazy about that, too.

I had hopes that Windows Phone would become the one and only phone OS, but alas.

1 Like

After the downfall of Blackberry OS10, the Windows phone OS would have been my next phone OS. Alas indeed.
But hey my old BB still does what I need it to do :slight_smile:

Microsoft screwed itself. I use to work as a MSCSE and worked on a lot of different MicroSoft projects and had so many chances to make the phone os work but they tried to turn the windows os in to the phone os and it was just too over sized to work. And if Google and Apple aren’t careful they will keep adding to their os to the point it will no longer function

I too used Windows Phone but when my broker no longer supplied a Windows Phone app, I switched over to Android and never looked back. Heck, even Bill Gates uses an Android phone now and they sell Android phones in the Microsoft Stores here in Atlanta.

Good advice from Gary. I too use LastPass for families across Windows and Android and use an Authenticator app everywhere I can. You can disable the LastPass screen reading if you want until you feel comfortable sharing the info. I don’t love that they do this, but it provides a nice convenience and I’ve already decided that I’m trusting them with the keys to the kingdom, so why not a little more [sigh]. I’ve totally disabled Google password management now and no 2 sites have the same password. It’s really great tech and LogMeIn is continuing to grow and seems to be doing well these days.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if you have personalized ringtones–and if so, do they play through your HAs?
I currently use them with LG G6 and all I get is a generic “tinkle”. (Even so, they’re awesome.)

Sorry, I don’t use personalized ringtones. Maybe someone who does might chime in.

I use personalized ring tones through my Marvels. I don’t use them much for actual phone ring tones, (who uses these things as a phone?), but I use them extensively for notifications. I like knowing which app notification or which person is messaging me just from the tone so that I can decide whether or not I need to do anything. My new Pixel phone allows unique notification tones even for each group message, so I can tell if I get a message from my wife, my family group or my riding buddies. I won’t say which one gets looked at first :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a personalized ringtone for my wife, but all I get is the generic “tinkle” in the aids. That’s probably because I have “Media Audio” turned off. I didn’t want to get every little notification in my aids. I can usually hear the phone’s ringtone over the tone in the aids anyway. I use a smartwatch to check notifications and caller ID. While I can’t call it perfect, the whole setup works well for me.

1 Like

Something that I have been thinking about this has to do with almost everything in life. We all have brands, and devices that we like the most and some are so in love with them that they are blind to the fact that other have different choses. But my take on it is this what ever works for me and for you is great. I may like brand X and your brand Z, big deal we both need to respect the other person’s decisions, and like and dislikes. This goes for phones, hearing aids, cars, trucks, etc.
Why should it bother me or why should it bother you if we like different things? I am preaching to myself here by saying why should we get drawn into an argument over who is using the right or wrong brands, devices, cars, etc. It should be left with this what works for me is what I use only because it works for me. What works for you is because it works for you and you and I should be happy for the other person.
Also we all have had bad experiences with things in life, that should not mean because I or you had a bad experience with something we should condemn someone else that is having a good experience with the same thing. Your standards and my standards are more than likely very different.
It boils down to this we as a human race have to stop being negative and become positive about life. Life is what we make of it.

3 Likes

I agree with you. I think most of the issues I have are with 1) People who are convinced because they like something, I should try it and 2) People who are convinced that it would be “easy” for the manufacturers to do something that they want and since the manufacturers don’t do it, they’re just being stupid or lazy.

Well, with technology sectors there is usually an early period on innovation, then a period of development, then plateau, then commoditization and decline. So where are we with smartphones? With Android we are definitely in the late plateau phase. Google is working on and demoing the replacement that promises at least some innovation. Commoditization is going strong with cheap basic phones that run Android.

With Apple it is more uncertain. On the surface it would seem that iphone is toast, with Apple fast transforming into a services and streaming company but they have come back from the technology cliff before. They are loaded with cash and looking for companies to buy and something could happen to spark another round of innovation (well, Apple style). Commoditization will get them eventually (remember ipods?) but they may have a couple more rounds yet because it is so profitable for them.

It’s a shame there is not another viable platform. If Windows Phone had won the market it would have solved some problems. Commoditization makes Android and the follow-on OS vulnerable to potential competitors and maybe something good for us will develop from that, eventually.

Well I look at it differently I would love to see leaving well enough alone. And just let some of us just enjoy what we have. Sure it doesn’t make as much money, but we can’t effort the continual upgrading with the prices that are today. And with everything I have seen if you want android OS updates you have to buy new hardware. Where at least with Apple we can get updates for IOS without hardware updates for a longer time. Now if you are made of money be my guess but stop the putting down the ones of us that like to keep hardware longer but like getting updates to the OS.

Apple and Android both offer updates for several years. My Samsung Galaxy 6 gets a couple of updates a year.

Then it has changed, for ever Android I had never get updates beyond the version of the OS that came on it. That just was not acceptable to me, so I finally left Android when I was offered hearing aids that could connect to the iPhone directly and to be honest I am so very happy that I did.
But I have to say my wife still has android and lives with it. She doesn’t care anything about her here phone as long as she gets her calls and emails.
I only care about emails, and getting my calls straight to my hearing aids. Neither me are my wife cares about a lot of the other stuff or even what others think.
But I also like that I can take my calls on my IPhone, iPad, my watch or even my MacBook, and while on a call transfer it to any of the other devices.

So Don I am glad you enjoy I your Android, my wife uses her’s Phone as long as she can make calls and read her emails. I no longer want to worry about updates they happen automatically over night when available. I have lots of other things to worry about now I am retired, like where I am going to go hiking at next, what picture I am going to paint next, and what friends I will be with and helping. I did my time it hardware and software hell over my almost 45 years of work life as a troubleshooter and I am done.

1 Like