iPhone or Android in 2022?

Based solely on hearing , aids, and hearing apps.
Which way to go? iPhone is a leader in accessibility.
Google pixel started with live transcribe. I have Ks9 now with resound 6, mifi back ups. I found my old mifi for iPhone aids keep connected for better distance. My ks9 bt is lost if I leave the room. With an old iPhone last year, the programs turned on to my resounds and ks9 seamlessly. Now I’m on a Samsung with choice app for androids that constantly loses connection. Costco hearing aids are my only way to go because of cost, so this is my starting point. Any opinions out there based on smartphone brand experience?

1 Like

If you’re just talking phone, I’d likely stick with iPhone. If you want connectivity to other BT devices like computers, then Phonak &KS9 and KS10 are the way to go and you can take your pick of iphone or android.

Thanks for reply. I too, am leaning on going back to an iPhone. The one worry is that Apple likes to use its own tech. That they will continue to innovate only its mifi for hearing aid technology. Helping my daughter choose a hearing aid recently, I was surprised to see companies still selling mifi, now that bt has made it into hearing aids

I have android for my phone aids and it works fine. But I doubt I would change my current phone to suit my aids. Maybe vice versa but probably not at all. Compatibility with my aids and phone is a nice feature but being able to hear with just my aids, to me, is the top priority

I have iPhone because of my Oticon aids. My wife by as Samsung Galaxy Note20 5g

2 Likes

I have trialed several different HA brands with both Android and iPhone. My conclusion is this: if you are using any hearing aid other than Sonova (Phonak, KS10, Unitron), you will have significantly better connectivity stability with iPhone if reliable BT is a big factor for you. I switched from a Samsung Galaxy S20+ to a new iPhone solely based on knowing I was not going with a Phonak Paradise.

If you do go with the KS10s, then either will work fine from my experience with the Paradise.

I should add my experiences with Android were prior to the newest Android 12 update. Maybe that improved the ASHA protocol a bit more.

If I have to, I’ll get a refurbished iphone 8 to see me through until late in the year. By then, the choice should be a bit clearer. Who’s going to support LE Audio? That’s probably the one I’ll go for.

2 Likes

I started with the KS 6 and now on Jabra Pro and found they work better with iPhones compared to Android.

1 Like

tkdr: Short answer- iPhone

I’m an android person and have been for a long time. Necessity caused me to go to iOS (Apple). Using iPhone accessibility, you are connecting with MFI rather that straight bluetooth, which uses far less battery being more efficient. Therefore, if you are looking to purchase a phone solely based upon what is best for compatibility? The answer is iPhone.

Personally, I prefer Android because of its ability to be configured (I am a former android rooter and custom rom user). Alas, I was forced to go Apple.

4 Likes

As far as I know there are no advantages to Apple if one is using Phonak’s (or variants) Classic Bluetooth, so I’d say it depends on one’s hearing aids.

2 Likes

I say choose your aids for what your hearing loss is then pick your phone to work with your aids, not the other way around.

8 Likes

I agree with hearing aid first , phone second. So many options for phones at $600 to $800.
However, I’m not sure about aid coverage in US.
In Canada, $1000 help ADP from govt.
Premium aids about $5000 to $6000.
Most employer benefits…$300 yes $300 every 5 years.
Any genetic hearing loss cannot be blamed on jobs.
Therefore , buying a premium aid at Costco for $2000 has been a lifesaver.

1 Like

Not sure if this is relevant or not to your described situation but I finally gave up on all the dropouts with direct Bluetooth with my KS9s, and instead use this bone conduction device which keeps me continuously connected to audio via Bluetooth even during pauses in speech, leaving and returning to the room, etc. It is so lightweight and unobtrusive that I forget it is on my head, just above my KS9s.
https://tinyurl.com/38pe5c5t

Also, using regular bt with android = shorter battery life, fyi. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the Oticon More1 aids, I can roam around my home and not lose connectivity with my IPhone mini 13. I can be streaming music or an audio book and walk around and through several doors and walls with out losing my streaming signal.

2 Likes

@cvkemp Hands free call is coming to iPhone/iPad on Oticon More HA, I suppose at the moment people with More HA have to use smartphone’s microphone!
Are people going to be able to switch between smartphone’s microphone and HA’s microphone?
On Phonak Paradise phone calls uses the HA’s microphone, not ideal.

I have asked my audiologist the same question, there will be other connectivity improvements in the upcoming firmware that I am more concerned about and hoping for. While i.believe that hands free will be good in quiet environments, I am afraid it will be less useful in noisy environments.

1 Like

Re; Weak bluetooth signal on my KS9s, also gone if I leave the room. However with plug in TV adaptor I can go outside and still be getting audio. Therefore, maybe it is not my KS9s but the quality and strength of the device " transmitting " the bluetooth signal, which could vary from phone to phone.

1 Like

For many good reasons I got new Phonak Paradise P90 rechargeable hearing aids.

My office phone is an iPhone 8.

I learned to hate the iPhone Phonak app.

My problems were solved with a Phonak remote control and some reprogramming of my hearing aids.

I’m a reluctant iPhone user. It’s a work phone and I have no other choice. When time comes I’ll be asking the same question! iPhone or Android. Or a dial phone. :wink:

Dave

I have a android phone and phonak aids and have zero problems with Bluetooth connectivity. Just saying

3 Likes