iPhone 11 pro max and Phonak marvels, bluetooth does not work

Some Bluetooth connections work. Some don’t. No rhyme or reason easily identifiable. Not quite “all” connections as Phonak states.

Apple just released ios 13.1.1 update…
I wonder if that will fix the problem.
I gave an iPhone 11 Pro Max on order and hope the issue will be fixed by then

I have read this in one of the CI groups I belong to. This email arrive and the admin posted it. For those of you with HA Phonak Marvels and iPhone 11 this effects you.

Advanced Bionics / Phonak: Predicted incompatibility - iPhone 11 / Naida CI Connect

Email from Phonak U.S., September 27, 2019

Product News & Updates

Recently, Apple released their new iPhone® 11 family. Unfortunately, our internal tests have shown that iPhone 11 is not compatible with Phonak Marvel™ hearing aids. The hearing aids appear as pairable devices in the Bluetooth® menu, but pairing is not successful. Note that this compatibility issue affects all iPhone 11 Bluetooth Classic connections, and it is not limited to Marvel hearing aids. We are in contact with Apple, and we are working toward a potential solution.

I hope they get it fixed soon for all the consumers.

1 Like

You think they would have sorted this issue prior to release. Thankfully no issues with my Oticon OPNs and my iPhone 11.

I have the same issue … my Kirkland SIgnature Phonak HAs connect then immediately disconnect wirh my 11 Pro Max, so neither calls or music work. I’m going to return it and go back to my X Max iPhone. The camera upgrade isn’t worth losing the HA connectivity! :weary:

returned my iPhone 11, glad I hadn’t sold my iPhone XS yet. Back to things working perfectly and on iOS 12. Turned off automatic updates as I do not want iOS 13!

1 Like

Boys, don’t worry. I’m sure the phonak update will arrive.
On the phonak site it says that they are at work, here’s what they wrote:
“The audio link between phone and hearing aids can not be established. The analysis of the problem is ongoing and a solution will be available as soon as possible.”

PS. The updated Remote App will arrive within two weeks!

IOS 13.1.1 was pushed out - not sure this would fix anything. But it has been pushed out

Nope. Same issue. :-/

iOS 13.1.2 is out! Says it fixes a Bluetooth disconnection issue with “some cars,” here’s hoping it fixes iPhone 11 issues with Marvel. I won’t hold my breath though.

4 Likes

I’ll try it. My WiFi drops out with 13.1.1.

I’m using iOS 13.1.2, the Beta and it is fine on my iPhone 8. I ditched my Sony Android as I can’t
connect to my new Signia HAs after numerous attempts. Deemed incompatible by Signia as well.
Although I had it working for a day …

Just updated my 11 Pro Max … no love keeping the connection. :frowning:

2 Likes

I found out it works if you do not connect the app and the app works if you do connect to blue tooth in settings. You can’t do both.

Do not understand, can you be more specific exactly what steps to take please. Thank you

Not sure this blanket statement is accurate for everyone. My iPhone 11 would connect as well but have intermittent cut outs in streaming if I started the myPhonak app. They went away if I completely closed the app. However, my wife’s iPhone 11 did not even connect at all. Some people can connect, others cannot — and no one can do it perfectly like the previous iPhones. I think Apple changed the Bluetooth chip.

Maybe, I just ran a comparison of iPhone X, iPhone Xs, iPhone 11 Pro, all are bluetooth 5.0, but as you say, might be a different chip.

I’m having trouble with bluetooth blood pressure monitor and smart scale as well as my ReSound (Costco) HAs.

I believe Bluetooth 5 is a new hardware requirement. Old phones are not upgradeable to BT5 with a new iOS only.

What I did was uninstall the app. Then remove alll reference to the hearing aids in blue tooth under settings. Then reboot the phone by powering off and back up. Reinstall the app but do not open it. Then go to blue tooth, restart the hearing aids. Just the R aid will show up on blue tooth. Connect to that. It takes a couple of attempts. Then you should find your phone is connected to both hearing aids. I have been listening to music and answering my phone through the aids all day. If you connect to the app at anytime you lose the phone connection and have to repeat the whole process.

At least that is how I did it.

2 Likes

Great, I’ll try this method! I’ll let you know.

PS. yes, the iphone’s bluetooth chip has changed.