International purchase - Buyhear, HearStore, Hearing Central, Ebay, Which one is better?

You make a lot of assumptions, don’t you?

1. Not brand-new or even close to new
  2. Not $6000 or close to $6000
  3. Never said the HA’s were crap
  4. Never said the bricking was anyone’s fault other than mine (so the details are irrelevant to others)

Other than that, spot on, pvc!

I didn’t make any assumptions. What I am saying it that other people have paid $6000+ for Opn hearing aids, and this is likely alarming news to them.

Crap design/crap hearing aids, what’s the difference?

Inquiring minds want to know what the heck you are talking about when all your hardware gets bricked and has to be sent back to the factory?

If the details are irrelevant to others then I don’t understand why you posted this??

1 Like

Please re-read what you wrote - you made a handful of assumptions in a single sentence. And then please re-read what I said (which isn’t very similar to what you accuse me of saying). No idea why you’re so worked up about this that you’re willing to lie about it.

OK. I’ll try. You did mention crap design with reference to Oticon. Admittedly, you didn’t mention OPNs, but since OPNs are made by Oticon, it’s not a very big leap. (And one can pay $6k or more for OPNs)

I think all of us who dabble in self programming would like to prevent bricking our hearing aids. Sharing your experience might accomplish that.

If you could share what led to the bricking of your hearing aids, I think you would be doing us a favor.

Don’t disconnect cables or lose power during a firmware update with Oticon equipment; that’s pretty much it (nothing new here). My ONLY point (which you guys seem hell-bent on ignoring) is that there should NEVER be a software design that allows bricking during a firmware update. In this day and age, it’s a sign of incompetent design, and yes, I’m accusing Oticon of crap software design.

Yep, bricking a device due to an incomplete/interrupted Firmware update is nothing new. But this is not solely an Oticon problem. What about Phonak’s debacle with their iCube?

My concern is not about your mysterious problem.

My concern is with starting new rumors about locked and bricked hearing aids. We have had more that our fair share of those rumors. Thus when a new one arises, I am interested in the details.

btw> New Oticon Firmware issues tend to involve Opns, only Opns.

Meaning others may think that their Opn hearing aids are faulty!

Are there hearing aids that have a backup firmware of some type that would be harder to “brick” in case of power outage or disconnection or could be reset? I think Volusiano alluded that Phonak may have that feature (or I may be imagining)

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/search?q=Tools%2FReset%20to%20factory%20Settings%2FHearing%20Instruments

I never once said that ANY hearing aid was faulty; you’ve got a serious comprehension issue, I’m afraid.

Faulty/Bricked, what’s the difference?

And you’ve got serious anger management issues to go along with your alternate method of comprehension , I’m afraid.

Where’s Doc Jake when you need him?
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I said, multiple times, that I (me, myself) bricked them in a way that was predictable (disrupting firmware updates). Your condescension toward others is why we can’t have nice things. (BTW, I always assumed you were a great guy, based on your help to others. I realize now that it’s just some kind of egotism thing you’ve got going; a need to always be right, to be holier-than-thou, etc. A loser in other words.)

Your first assumption was correct. Next rumor, please. I think we’re done with this one seeing as how it has degraded into the name calling phase. We never did learn about any of the details??

I assume you learned to read somewhere along the way. If you try to use those skills, you’ll see that I DID describe what happened (again, since you are slow on the uptake - I interrupted firmware updates). BTW, who put you in charge of this forum? Oh, that’s right - you did.

Bricks and Stones may break my bones (get the pun?), but talk doesn’t bother me.

BTW, people here who do DIY programming SHOULD be concerned about the fact that a firmware update can brick hearing aids if the update is interrupted. Who exactly are you trying to protect with your smarmy posts? Oticon?

Yes they should be concerned. Though, not with simplistic rumors.

WTF do you mean by “simplistic rumors”. And by using “we” all the time when you mean “I”. God, you are insufferable.

Let me help with your comprehension - a “rumor” is an unsubstantiated story. What I’ve posted is 100% provably true and Oticon even warns against interrupting firmware updates.

Go ahead, get the last word, since that’s what people like you always need.

Bricked

I’ll pile in too. Here’s how I see what happened.

“I’ve bricked Oticon aids during a firmware update,”

Yup. Could happen. Could happen with many systems where a firmware update is possible. Like your internet router. Your computer BIOS. etc. And every time, they have stern warnings about not interrupting the process.

“and also bricked a FittingLink 3 dongle.”

This I don’t know.

“IMO, they are total incompetents when it comes to software.”

Here’s where the problem started. The context of your post is about Oticon and Fittinglink. Your use of the word they then means you’re still in the context of Oticon and Fittinglink. You then are saying that they (Oticon and Fittinglink) and total incompetents etc.
If you had said in general that with ANY kind of device that has firmware update capability and that they have this risk of bricking when interrupted then sure. No problem. Fair gripe. I think pvc is taking exception to you saying that specifically and only about Oticon and Fittinglink. And then declaring that they’re incompetents. And then your next post spreads it more generally but still being mad at Oticon for YOU interrupting the process because they couldn’t be bothered to protect the process against user interruption. Sure. But they’re not alone in this design aspect. Maybe it’s a ROM capacity issue where space is at a premium with these tiny devices.
At the end of the day…what the heck are you doing interrupting the process when you know bricking is a very real possibility. And the update process tells you as much. Other DIY people would heed that warning. Do you test manufacturers firmware update methods for laughs? To see if they’re one of those fool manufacturers that don’t put in protections?

Bottom line…if you had said that darn those Oticon folks for not putting in protections against unknowing people interrupting firmware updates…probably nobody would have taken exception. I suspect there are reasons why many manufacturers don’t though.