International purchase - Buyhear, HearStore, Hearing Central, Ebay, Which one is better?

They are easy to find for newer hearing aids. Very easy!! We typically use thehearingclub (which you can get to in the links below) or a package deal from online sellers that includes the programming device. Older legacy HAs that use boots may be more challenging. But not the Signia Nx. They use readily available programming pills and CS44 cables.

1. Click any pvc Avatar
  2. Click pvc’s main thread
  3. Click the 4th link in my main thread and/or Scroll down to Step 4, - Extra Gear (Cables, Flex Strips, etc)

Here’s a picture of how to do the first two clicks:

1 Like

I think we will have to wait-and-see how this shakes out. Oticon has chosen to only allow firmware updates with a wired programming device. For now. But I don’t think we can say it will always be this way. Maybe the Firmware could be segmented into a factory stamped permanent section and another section that could be updated by any device. Firmware update failures could then be restarted.

The HAs in the new Dream platform for Widex has no cable connections, none, nada, zip. The firmware updates are done via an APP. To be continued.

1 Like

It depends on the hearing aid model. Orange flex cables and boots for my old Starkey HA aren’t easy to find. I brought a I cube ll phonak programmer with the phonak programming cables. I was going to buy the Naida Q90 UP and will order the V90 UP aids.

Yes, some legacy hearing aids can be difficult to find the extra cables/gear.

The newer hearing aids seem to be getting more standardized in their choice of cables/gear in that some are moving away from programming boots/shoes.

Oh, someone on the forum has extra Starkey orange flex 4-conductor cables that he doesn’t need.

ETA> As pointed out by @Volusiano the method of Firmware updates for this specific Signia Nx is still a mystery. Thus it is possible that in addition to the Noahlink Wireless programming device you may also need a mini Pro/Hi Pro with cables for performing Firmware Updates.

ETA2> Signia does require a mini Pro/Hi Pro with cables for performing Firmware Updates.

2 Likes

PVC,
I’m sure it’s on here somewhere, but I’m not finding it readily. I know there are some current hearing aids that are not programmable with a HiPRO/minipro (Phonak Audeo B in 10 battery size and their BR) and I think some recent Resounds require a programming shoe that can be challenging to find. Seems like this info would be handy to have in your Choosing a Programming Device section (although if one does as advised and gets thoroughly familiar with the programming software, one will learn what one needs)

Anyways, just a thought.

Sure, but why stop there? In addition to having a list of hearing aids/HAs that are wireless-programming-only it would be nice to also have some other lists;

1. HAs programmable wireless only, no cables (your favorite)
  2. HAs that require Firmware updates via cabled programming device
  3. HAs that can update HA Firmware with an APP
  4. HAs that can update HA Firmware wirelessly
  5. HAs that are programmable with Noahlink Wireless
  6. HAs that use legacy wireless proprietary programming devices (think iCube)
  7. HAs that use recent wireless proprietary programming devices (think iCube II)
  8. HAs that have abandoned recent wireless proprietary programming devices in favor of the industry standard Noahlink Wireless

Let’s see, is there anything I left out? Probably. Oh, after the above lists are finished, guess what, they change. I need to take a nap (-.-)Zzz…

ETA> Although there are no specific HAs listed, this wireless only programming issue is addressed in the first paragraph of this thread;
How to choose a programming device to Program Your Hearing Aids [DIY]

No offense intended. To me there’s an implication in the thread that if you pick a HIPRO or minipro that you’re good to go no matter what hearing aid you pick. (Yes, I know you’ve got the disclaimer at the top) Nothing is simple in hearing aids and one would be advised to confirm what programming device will work with one’s hearing aids before considering self programming and what “extras” one might need. To me the biggest annoyance is the need for special programming shoes for certain hearing aids (recent Resounds that I’m aware of) I don’t think it’s your responsibility to do this, but you have put tremendous effort in making this section easy to use and in my opinion, either spelling out the warning, or letting people know that wired programmers will not work with certain hearing aids would be helpful to newbies. Peace.

2 Likes

No offense taken and you bring up a good point. Maybe I can try to clarify this.

1 Like

Okay I added (Wireless Only Hearing Aids/No Cables) section to the how to choose thread mentioned a couple of posts above.

3 Likes

Hello There
I have worn aids since I was 13yrs. That’s for 45yrs now.
Even though I know the audiologist charges a %, I am willing to get that professional input from her;

• because aids are expensive, she arranged trial periods, each of 3 to 4 weeks for the various makes ie. Oticon, Siemens, Widex,etc.
  • Audiogram tests included to accurately map my hearing loss.
  • Once I have settled in say Oticon, setup of a couple of programs for different noise environments and fine tuning over a few sessions was worth it.
1 Like

For your information

Sivantos Internet sales policy Internet sales - Sivantos India Pvt. Ltd.

1 Like

How many folks here getting their aids from India?
FYI:

Hey Chris, ever hear of Restraint of Trade or Sherman Antitrust Act?

As a “medical professional” can you deliver or prescribe drugs?

Do you have full hospital privileges?

Have you read the Hearing Aid Act of 2017?

2 Likes

Dear KenP, I am not telling anyone not to buy hearing aids online, I am just informing about companies’ internet sales policy and the risks of buying online

Here are some more links I found, where you could read what ASHA, Phonak, Resound, Starkey, Starkey blog, Oticon and Unitron have to say about online sales.

I understand, Chris. It is just that your industry is anything but transparent. Quality consistent with the medical industry just isn’t there overall. I consider the providers that are active here a great resource as they show they are more interested in consumers than most. I see similar broad responses in the Q&A on the main site where some follow the industry releases more closely than others. It easy to see who has the consumer first.

What caused my interest was using an Indian site to document. We know different product use evolving economies to sell old products. I just thought it quite unusual to use them.

I believe it is licensing rather than medical standards that drives the market.

1 Like

Since we are talking about internet sales, it has nothing to do with the country. Αny one can buy from anywhere… That’s why I posted a few more links.

I don’t know if it is licensing rather than medical standards. In a few years, since we can now remotely adjust the settings of some hearing instruments, we might even see factories selling their products online.
As I told you in my last reply I am not trying to dissuade anyone from buying online but in any case, I believe the consumers have to know the risks of buying online.

I talked to a ebay seller that sells new phonak hearing aids and l asked him about the warranty. I know that Phonak will not repair phonak aids sold thru ebay but there is a way to get it repaired.
The seller phonak aids are from South Korea.
The seller said to me:

Many of hearing aid users purchase their wishing hearing aids with reasonable price from out of their country while on travelling.

You can say that you have purchased the hearing aids while you have traveled in Korea with your Korean friend if Phonak ask.

Of course, given the 50% or so off when buying online, your risk is significantly mitigated. Also, I’m not aware of ANY online buyer who has EVER been denied a warranty based on where a HA was purchased (it’s not even legal in some states!)

Hello there

I just have received a pair of Signia NX 312 and the NoahLink Wireless device :smiley:
I bought it from Buyhear.com. No complaints until now, the product is in perfect conditions and as this is an international purchase, from USA to Perú, i was worried to have some problem with a mistake on model or color or missed accesorie, but its the same i asked, so i feel relief. Now i wait the post sale service stand in high quality to doing the remote programming.

3 Likes

That is some beautiful hi tech equipment!!

Though, without Firmware update capability. Signia requires a wired programming device (mini Pro/Hi Pro) for Firmware updates.

2 Likes

Yes… I 've just realized that. I hope they include firmware updates through wireless devices in the future.