Intent 1 Bluetooth connections

Does the Oticon Intent 1 connect easily with Sony Bravia TVs and Windows 11 PCs?

If your Sony Bravia TVs and Windows 11 PCs requires the legacy standard BT, then you’ll need an Oticon ConnectClip to interface between the Intent and those devices, unless they support ASHA or BT LE Audio.

4 Likes

I know that BT LE is the way forward but I wouldn’t buy an HA that was not also backwardly compatible without having to get another interface to use it. Surely someone will come out with a BT chip that can swing both ways?

Perhaps you didn’t realize, but almost every single aid brand does not support the legacy BT standard directly without a streamer except the Phonak/Sonova brand of hearing aids. They decided to develop a special chip (called the SWORD chip) specifically to make their aids support the legacy standard BT format directly without requiring the streamer. Meanwhile, other aids’ brands made the strategic decision to wait for ASHA to become available on Android phones to provide direct support via ASHA for Android phones. But then BT LE Audio came along and kinda replaces ASHA. Well, they actually still coexist, I think.

1 Like

Seems they do, so they “swing” both ways, you can turn off LE Audio apparently on your smartphone, so the choice is still there.

Yes I was forgetting that my Phonaks are better than average for BT connectivity. So you have to have an interface to use Oticon Intents with standard Bluetooth devices? The new Philips too?

Yes. Not any different than before, though.

Correct. All the current LE Audio HAs support dual mode. They have an ASHA protocol or LE Audio protocol switch. It is under Bluetooth in the hearing aids setting gear icon.

I am personally waiting for the updates in Android 15 to get a more reliable LE Audio connection.

2 Likes

Although it sounds cool to have the Bluetooth functionality, I wouldn’t want to connect to my car or phone automatically. With Intent, can you control or limit when you connect, or does it pair automatically to your phone and car constantly?

Well, I’m guessing you could just turn your phone’s BT off, and then the aids, which are paired + connected to that phone would NOT automatically connect to the phone.

Cars are even simpler. Just don’t pair the aids with them. If you have your cell phone when in the car, that’s how you can stream the call IF you have the aids paired + connected to your phone.

1 Like

It’s not going to pair with your car at all but if it does let us know! Most people would want it to connect to their phone automatically? I’d hate to get a call and have to manually connect.

1 Like

I don’t want it to connect automatically. Sometimes I like to share the calls with my daughter if she’s in the car with me. I don’t have Intents but I am thinking about them more and more, since I’m not thrilled with the Own so far as I thought I might be. I’m still early in the trial period.

Controlling the volume, bass, and all the functionality from your phone is looking very appealing right now. I’m wondering if the Intent is about the same size as Nera Pro 2…maybe I’d like it a lot.

As others stated above, the Intents are paired with your phone, not your car. Your phone is paired to your car, and the phone decides if it connects automatically (to the Intents and/or the car), and also whether to send calls through your hearing aids or your car audio. You can control this behavior with your phone; the Intents have no say in the matter.

I just got new Intents a couple days ago, and so far the BT is working pretty well with my Android phone. I have my phone automatically connect to the Intents and to my car. When both are connected it sends audio to the car, which is how I like it.

1 Like

I don’t connect my phone to the car because I want to stream calls to my aids only.

Well, I bit the bullet and had the Oticon Intent 1 it was pricy but it offered to be more future-proof:
My first impressions (Going from Unitron and Oticon Real) were, they are amazing.
My car radio was playing and the music sounded so much clearer and tonal without streaming.
Even my voice sounded more natural no ish sounds at the end of words It was also quite windy as I left the audiologist and the first thing I noticed was there was NO wind noise on the microphones something the other two had. I’ve had them for two whole days now I have to go back to get them balanced fully its my tryout period. Streaming from my Google 7 Pro phone is no problem. I have yet to set up the Google Watch 2. As for streaming from a Windows 11 PC, there’s a catch. It recognises the hearing aids and pops up for a brief second (Connected) then a second message follows very quickly (“That didn’t work. Make sure your Bluetooth device is discoverable then try again”) I have a feeling Oticon doesn’t want their units to connect directly as it will do them out of sales of their peripherals. I checked and the PC is running LE audio.

2 Likes

Le audio is still very new not all bugs are worked out
I received my INTENT1 aids last Friday and they have changed my life. I have been wearing aids for almost 20 years. The INTENT1 aids are the first that make me really feel like i have my normal hearing back. I have the Samsung S23 phone streaming is good, still cannot do full hands free. My research points to a bug with the Samsung one UI 6.1

3 Likes

I have a TV Streamer for my HAs to connect to my PC, but yesterday I tried out an app that works on Android, iPhone, Windows and Mac. It is called Audio Relay. I am using the free version but it is only $15 for a permanent license.

It connects between the phone and PC over USB or WiFi, I chose USB. My average latency was typically only .7ms with typical 10ms peaks. The stereo sound was great, better then the TV Streamer. You can connect to your hearing aids over LE Audio or ASHA on Android. WOW.

It takes a bit of technical experience to connect it all up as you have various choices like which direction do you want to stream, selecting the suggested IP address, and USB vs WiFi settings. I found it pretty straightforward and connected quickly. It was fun for me and a lot cheaper than the TV Streamer…which I can now dedicate to the TV.

I have a Galaxy S23 Ultra and a Jabra EP 20 but none of that matters. Audio Relay is a cool app!

2 Likes

Hands free doesn’t really work on iPhone 15 Pro either even if Oticon says it should work. If I just switch to using my hearing aid mics, the person on the other end of the call struggles to hear me so I just revert back to using the iPhone mics. Have tried a few times with both Real and Intent models. It just doesn’t work very well.

This was fixed in a recent LE audio Google Pixel 8 update, so I assume Samsung will integrate that fix soon as well.

1 Like

The Samsung S23 update is due out around mid month. I hope it does fix the hands free.

1 Like