Intent 1 Bluetooth connections

Is that a phone issue or due to limitations of the hearing aid mics being used for hands free calling?

To be honest, no idea. Itā€™s just never really worked properly for me having the mic input to on.

I have iPhone 15 Pro and Oticon Intent 1 so should work but it doesnā€™t bother me as I always have my phone to hand anyway.

So now, I have mic input setting to off so Iā€™m using the iPhone mics (I think!) and I donā€™t have my iPhone close to my mouth so it works fine. Itā€™s usually on my desk and they can hear me perfectly. Clearer than it was with Real but there is still a few seconds delay when I do answer the call for them to hear me / audio to transmit to my hearing aids.

I do wonder if Samsung is better in that respect or not as I have found the quality with Apple has declined a lot over the last year.

The two hearing aid mics are arranged in a line horizontally, more or less, which enables directionality front-to-back or side-to-side. Thereā€™s no way to favor sounds, like your voice, coming from below. So they have to rely on noise reduction algorithms to separate your voice from everything else. Mass-market BT earpieces presumably have hardware-based directional mics pointing downwards. This is my understanding, anyway.

1 Like

Makes sense as the voice pickup works ok sometimes and is basically unusable at other times, such that they should have a disclaimer with this feature. Perhaps there could be a third mic at the bottom of the aids to use for calling plus some benefit for general use or maybe that would be no better being behind the ear. The brands using a third mic at the receiver might be able to explore using that third mic for calls.

I have never depended on the hands free. I always have my phone in my hands for the call. It is just a force of habit. I always check to see who is calling before i answer the call.

Do your HAs not tell you in your ears who is calling? My Xceed do.

Most times yes, but ,I an a retired IT professional and security engineer I still donā€™t take computers for granted to not be hacked. I am very much a visual person.

1 Like

Annouce calls (spoken caller ID) is not enabled by default in iOS. Not sure about Android.

It isnā€™t by default but can be enabled which i do, but I donā€™t always understand what it is saying.

1 Like