Ignorant Oticon Newer User

I dont know how to do links . Please use the Forum search function. REM stands for Real Ear Measurement. It’s the only accurate way to tell whether your hearing aids are actually delivering what they’re supposed to be delivering to your eardrum.

No, she did not do a REM. That machine is in her main office. Shoot!

@gebomartin: You need to educate yourself about them and get one done - there’s no other way to determine whether your HAs are working properly.

REM is standard industry best practices.

2 Likes

The stethoscope method tells us if there’s a blatant problem, but doesn’t actually tell us what the hearing aids are doing. You need to have them tested out with speechmapping (either on ear or in a test box, either way using real ear measures). If they aren’t doing this, they aren’t following best practices.

@gebomartin: Please heed all the great advice our registered provider members dispense for free. If your audi is not conforming to best practices, find one that does.

1 Like

Professionally fit hearing aids use your paper audiogram (or a digital version) to enter your hearing loss into the fitting software, and then use an additional measuring system to achieve → REM/Real Ear Measurement.

I feel so dumb. You think another audiologist will take me on? I am on the HearingUp website. My nearest REM is 1 1/2 hours away.

Chill. REM or lack thereof may or may not be the problem. Do you know how to click links? They are the Blue-colored things above. Click them to read more about REM.

@gebomartin: Yes, but you have to wear those devices 16/7. They need to be correctly fitted.

1 Like

A hearing loss that comes back up at the end of the tail (a.k.a. cookie bite loss) is more difficult to fit. It is too soon to draw conclusions. btw> Evereyone here has “damaged ears” a.k.a. hearing loss.

I am speaking to my experience.

I guess what I am trying to say is my hearing loss is not solely due to aging.

1 Like

Absolutely!!!

I called 5 different “local” audiologists and they all poo-pooed REM. Said it was not necessary.

I gotta go to either Greensboro or Winston Salem NC and will gladly go if either audiologist will see me.

I haven’t read everything carefully, but I think you’re very happy with how you hear if you bump up the volume on the one side? The simplest solution would seem to be to get your audiologist (or a new audiologist) to bump up the volume on that side.

1 Like

Agreed to a point. I guess I don’t know what I’m really supposed to hear. It may be a whole new world out there beyond Walmart.

There’s your solution! Your Audiologist said she would permanently program your Right hearing aid to this volume increase. You said she will work with you 100%. Give her a chance - You need to help her help you
This is a Partnership between you and your Audiologist.
You don’t need to get into the weeds, that’s her job and she appears to be trying to do that. Your job is to wear your hearing aids during all your waking hours - everyday. Take very specific notes on what you like and do not like - sounds of dishwasher too loud, can’t hear soft beeps on dishwasher, can’t understand Walmart cashier - etc. Communicate this to her and she can adjust / program accordingly. Maybe wear a different dome on the right side. There are solutions to a balance of left and right - both volume and clarity.
Don’t be so hung up on REM. This is not a reason to leave your current Audiologist. I encourage you to actively work with your current Audiologist.

I know my views differ from others on this forum - please don’t create the debate of Best Practices & REM here.

I have had my most thorough test and REM at Duke Health. I go to their South Durham location. My current audiologist, Dr. LeRoux, knows Oticon. It may take several weeks before you can get an appointment. Even then, they sometimes have cancellations and try to work you in.

All Costco do REM but not as thorough. 10 years ago I used Costco Greensboro.

I just talked with an Audiologist in Greensboro. She is on Dr Cliff’s approved list. I’m gonna give her a shot.

I downloaded the “online tone generator.” When I went over 7500, the right ear just crackled. Left ear still sounding “normal”. Adjusting the volume didn’t seem to help. Left ear was still louder up and down the scale. From bass tones up to treble tones. This may just be me, LOL…

1 Like

Ok but I just want to say that Duke gave the best initial fitting I have had in my 20 years of wearing hearing aids.

1 Like

Duke is 3 1/2 drive l one way. I don’t doubt what you are saying. That’s just a heckuva day trip.

1 Like