Ignorant Oticon Newer User

I have Oticon More 1 with double vent bass domes running the 1.4.2 firmware using an iPhone. Got them in September 22.

I loved them at first but my love started to fade. I finally quit wearing them after about 3 months because I couldn’t seem to hear out of my right ear as well as the left. Sorta muffled sounding. I could hear my fan, refrigerator, car dash rattles, etc with my left ear but not so much with my right ear. I did have Covid and got stopped up for a few weeks.

Went back yesterday to my Audiologist and she upgraded my firmware and reset my HA’s. She showed me my last exam in Dec and reprogrammed my HA’s to that. Even though the “Oticon” graphs looked different for each ear she showed me that both of my HA were still programmed the same. She seemed sort of puzzled but we read across what must have been 4 horizontal lines with 15-20 settings and they were the same for both HA. She suggested I increase my volume up 2 on my right ear with the Companion App and see how that worked. IF it did, she would go in the program and change it permanently so I wouldn’t have to change it everyday in the Companion App.

She said if I wasn’t happy she would return them to Oticon for repair and give me a loaner pair. She will work with me 100% so that is not a problem.

My question is this. I feel uneasy about having to increase my volume by 2 or 3 in my right ear to get the same quality/level of hearing in both ears. Do you have any suggestions? Am I the problem? Or is it the HA’s?

@gebomartin: What is your objection to adjusting the volume so that you perceive equal loudness? I’m curious about that … Also - did your audiologist review the importance of wax cups, and how to change them?

(It’s hard to give a decent answer without seeing an audiogram.)

3 Likes

We need to see your audiogram and get a lot more information. I had your problem and custom ear mold that were fitted correctly fixed my issue. But it depends on your hearing loss if you need ear molds or not and you may just need a different dome style.

2 Likes

Obvious question. Did you change the wax filters? I had an issue early on with mine and changing the wax filters and domes corrected the issue.

3 Likes

Yes. That’s exactly it.

Yes. She keeps me supplied and I got some wax producing ears. That light yellow dry wax.

She has driven changing the wax cups home. I must have 10 complete packs of the wax cups.

It’s always and only the right ear. Today I have raised the right ear +3 and it is great. Just seems like I shouldn’t have to do that???

The domes can get clogged up too.

How do I get an audiogram? flashdrive?

I don’t think wax is your problem, I believe you either need different domes or cust ear molds, depending on your hearing loss, and we need to see your audiogram to help you.

Yes. I have about 20 of those on hand and am being very meticulous about keeping them clean as well.

1 Like

I know this ain’t the best but at this point I can tell you I have positive pressure on both ears and that my ears have been damaged. Low end is fine, drops off going across the board and then comes back up and the end.
That’s why she said I had damaged my ears. The highs come back up at the end of the tail. Please don’t laugh too loud. I’m just a simple man…

I’ll get the audiogram.

@gebomartin: I have a strong drive for order and symmetric settings with my music amps, but our hearing loss may be far from symmetrical.

I think it’s what you hear that counts. (My opinion - YMMV.) BTW, like @cvkemp , Chuck, I’m a very satisfied genuine Oticon®️ brand More1 wearer since March, 2021.

I know that but doesn’t a audiogram factor all that in? Wouldn’t a hearing test automatically calibrate each HA to compensate for my asymmetrical hearing loss.? Remember, I am ignorant of these things.

@gebomartin: Yes, you’d think so. Perhaps that receiver is bad. Didn’t your audi do REM? That would have picked up any such defect, I believe.

1 Like

You have a cookie bite hearing loss it is a genetic condition that I also have along with noise related military hearing loss. I can tell you a cookie bite hearing loss is a hard issue to deal with. I have worn aids over 19 years now and Oticon aids for about 13 years now. I haven’t had what I call good results until I got the More1 aids. But more importantly I have a great audiologist that is willing to listen to my complaints and what is working. I would say you would benefit from custom ear molds.

1 Like

What’s a REM? She used a stethoscope to listen to each HA to try and detect a difference.

I dont know how to do links . Please use the Forum search function. REM stands for Real Ear Measurement. It’s the only accurate way to tell whether your hearing aids are actually delivering what they’re supposed to be delivering to your eardrum.

No, she did not do a REM. That machine is in her main office. Shoot!