I don't feel the two sides are the same. Phonak Lumity 90

Greetings to everyone. Before Christmas, my family gifted me a Phonak Lumity 90. I quickly decided on it because, with the addition of the Roger On, I could hear everyone very well. The problem is that it feels like the sound in my right ear is not as rich and vivid as in the left ear. The left ear dominates. However, sometimes I completely doubt whether there is indeed a difference. I randomly raise and lower the volume on both sides, but it doesn’t help in making a decision. (Typically, when I increase the volume by 1 or 2 levels within the app on my right ear, it might be slightly better, but still not as vibrant as the sound in my left ear.) Unfortunately, I have a bit of OCD, and it’s possible that I’m longing for something perfect that is unattainable. Maybe there is indeed a difference, and I need to address the issue. I am completely confused. It also crossed my mind that perhaps the device is set too loud by default, and my ear tires quickly. This further increases my uncertainty on the matter. I welcome suggestions on how to reach a decision, and if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Andras

4 Likes

This could be as simple as one ear canal perfectly fitting the domes while the other canal doesn’t. So I would say experiment with different dome sizes in each ear, and see if that helps. Keep the same dome type you have now (closed, open, power, etc.), because the programming needs to be adjusted for different dome types.

If that doesn’t help, you can ask your HCP to do REM (real ear measurement) to measure how much sound is being pumped into each ear. Then they’ll be able to figure out if it’s a programming issue, a fit issue, or something else.

1 Like

I can TOTALLY relate. While I’m happy with my Phonak Lumity 90s, I absolutely agree: RIGHT aid/ear gets a fraction of the audio coming in if that’s the only aid that’s ON.

I’ve put it to the test dating back to my Marvel aids, even! Same story. I can put in the LEFT aid and get about 90% of the sound I get with BOTH aids in. But if I just put in my RIGHT aid, I feel utterly hampered. Like I’m only hearing maybe 40% of sounds? I’ve tested this out with exhaust fans, music, conversations, TV, ambient sound.

Oddly, I’ve also read that Phonak designates the RIGHT aid as the “master”, so it’s controlling the sync with LEFT aid. No idea why that results in nearly muted hearing through that aid if I don’t have the LEFT aid on.

When I have BOTH aids turned on I get beautiful, stereophonic sound, music sounds great, and I can comprehend speech in MANY situations (better than the older Marvels). But both models seem to have this odd sensation of RIGHT aid picking up a fraction of sound if the LEFT one isn’t on and in place.

Let’s see if others chime in here. But DO know that you are not alone, and that I have the same situation going on dating back several years over two different Phonak models. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I have the same experience with my Phonak Naida L90-UPs, left is fine but everyday I have to bump the volume on the right or it feels lopsided and even then it still feels a bit dead. These were programmed by a technician that admits he’s not as familiar with the Target software as some other brands but given everything sounds good overall apart from this I’m not sure that is it.

I also trialed Resounds and Unitron and did not have this issue at all.

I’m seeing a new audiologist in a few weeks and plan to ask them about it but I’m glad to hear I’m not alone!

Maybe while you are at your audiologist you can take an aid out and see how it sounds. Walk around a little to get a feel for it.
Then take that aid out and put the other aid in. Do the same test. If there is a difference tell your audiologist. Then they can balance them better.

I did this as a self fitter. It was one of the most beneficial things I did for better hearing.

1 Like

I think it would be better to just turn one off at a time and leave them in you ears … just my thoughts .

@Raudrive and @GrayGhost I just tried turning off one and the other and that does help clarify the differences a bit more. I’ll see what can be done when I pick up my new molds in a week. In particular I notice my own voice sounds a lot flatter and there is a ‘hole’ in environmental noises in my right that does not exist in my left.

Still strange that I’ve never noticed this with any previous aids or the others I just trialed. And my loss is pretty similar on both sides.

2 Likes

As my hearing got worse and word understanding scores went down and down I looked for ways to improve scores.
Tuning each ear independently proved to help a bunch. This took many changes over a few weeks time. Once completed with both aids on I noticed much improved hearing.
Sharing this so it might help you.

4 Likes

Absolutely agree with this, programming independently helps a lot,most of us have different loss between the two anyway.

3 Likes

My HAs already have individual programs and we have already made progress from the default but the ‘hole’ is still there. Even in my technicians very quiet office I notice it.

Maybe it’s time to do a deep dive on the Target software so I can know what to ask for. I already had to look up and suggest to him to turn off the whistle block which solved the warble I was getting at some sounds and helped a bit overall.

1 Like

This is understood but not the point I was trying to pass on to you.
Good luck

Ah, sorry, think I get what you mean about ongoing tuning to get it right, we will keep working on it. I really appreciate all the suggestions and help! :blush:

1 Like

Just got back from picking up my new Phonaks after having a trial set for nearly 30 days. I mentioned this issue is ongoing and we decided to try turning off the frequency compression - wow what a difference! I still need to do more testing to see how this impacts my word recognition in noisy environments but my ears feel balanced now and the sound is much more natural.

I suspect the root cause of the unbalanced feeling differs for different folks but in case it helps someone else here are the adjustments that got me to this point where they feel good: removing the material in the earhook (forget what it’s called - a little styrofoam bit I think), turning off whistle block, turning wind block way down, and turning off frequency compression.

5 Likes

Here is another “low tech” solution that I use when one ear feels a little dead compared to the other. Turn off the hearing aids, clean all the microphone holes and change the ear wax filters. You would be amazed how quickly those tiny filters clog up a bit from moisture and sweat.

Jordan

4 Likes

Interesting @Heather_R sounds good, pun intended :upside_down_face: It is weird, how some slight but subtle changes, can make a fundamental difference, to our overall concept of sound, for me it was switching to NAL NL2, and switching compression on, we do indeed, all hear differently! Good Luck, with the new settings, cheers Kev :grin:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, though I like the sound a lot better and no longer have that ‘dead space’ in my hearing, after going out to our favorite wine spot with my husband tonight I think I will have to switch back for the better speech recognition and just get used to the other weirdness.

Honestly, even this is still better than it was with my old hearing aids but now I’m spoiled by actually being able to have conversation with people in noisy environments :smile:

1 Like

All things that, to me, indicate that Phonak’s feedback management has been a major factor for you.

Peter

1 Like

I had the same think and I removed the Bluetooth pair, removed the devices from the app and did all over again.
problem solved

1 Like

Don’t be sorry, I don’t fully understand this. Could you elaborate on what this means and what you’re thinking?

… I’m starting to feel sad that I can’t seem to adjust the device the same way on both sides, even though my hearing loss appears to be quite similar on both sides, as shown in the diagram in the first post. I’m now at the point where I might acquire the Target program and adjust it myself. Currently, the right one, which was less lively, has become too loud, but still not as lively as the left one, which I think might be a dome issue. Simply put, the left one is more comfortable. Supposedly, if we create a dome based on an impression of my ear, it will be considered a closed dome and the sound will be echoey. (I don’t want a closed dome.) Is this true? I mean, that it functions as a closed dome.

No, unless your ear is quite small you should be able to get enough venting in a custom tip to resolve any occlusion with your hearing loss.

4 Likes