Hypothesis: custom molds optimize speech intelligibility for RIC w/ my audiogram

So far no feedback with the SlimTip molds and the M Receivers. I had feedback galore with the double-domes and the P Receivers, only occurring when in proximity to walls, none when sitting or standing in an open space. As for understanding Karen’s soft high frequency voice, the jury is still out as I think I did ask her to repeat herself a few times yesterday, but she was not facing me when she spoke because she was reading something to me off her computer screen.

1 Like

I think the only significant downside to frequency compression is that it can mess up music. That said, I believe you can use frequency lowering in all the programs but turn it off for a manual music program.

My Frankenstein fear was that, at some point, frequency compression could turn the female voice I love into a male-sounding voice! Hopefully that is an extreme result existing only in the outer fringes of my imagination. LOL!

This has not been the case at all. The shifted frequencies are not put in a small zone of lowered frequencies. They are spread out enough in lower frequencies to get a very detailed separation of sounds. Women and children are very noticeably higher frequency sounding than men for example.

Frequency lowering technology has been a blessing for me as have custom earmolds. Both have enabled me to hear better and improve speech recognition.

1 Like

I think the voice range of even female voices are typically below the frequency range that is shifted down.

1 Like

Thanks for the reassurances, guys! :joy:

Here is an article I came across on frequency lowering. It says that one of the issues you may notice is that people develop a lisp. “s” sounds are not heard well or perhaps not at all by those of us with high frequency hearing loss. Apparently we get used to hearing an “s” as a short sound, rather than a long drawn out sound. Then when hearing is corrected by more gain, or by frequency lowering, people magically get a lisp. I think the bottom line is that it may take some time to get used to, but in actual fact you are hearing things more like they really are, rather than what you have gotten used to.

1 Like

Gotcha - thanks for that heads up.

Another issue with frequency lowering if you’re trying to shift things too low is distortion of vowel sounds. That’s why for some people frequency lowering can make things worse. Something to consider is that telephone (at least POTS) only goes up to 3500 hz.

I highly recommend that type of modification of SlimTips, they are airtight and keep strongly my ear even during eating. They are also my first custom earmolds with no venting.

EDIT: It’s a modified (idea of my audi) cShell, not SlimTip - my mistake!

1 Like

The SlimTip at the pictures above have P receiver, but theoretically, the M receiver also fits to me. In your opinion - which is better? Does wider frequency range in M would give me better experience?

The author of the article at the link below makes the case that the bandwidth limitation and increased noise only manifest themselves if you use the increased power of a more powerful receiver. In other words if the M and P are used at the same power level but not over the limit of the M, then noise and bandwidth should be the same.

Are Larger Hearing Aid Receivers Really Noisier?

1 Like

Those photos don’t look anything like my SlimTips. Can you elaborate on them?

I’m sorry, my mistake, it isn’t SlimTip, it’s a cShell.

Look on the page 6 of below:

My audi give Phonak an instructions to attach to it a thing, which in Poland we discribe as “pazur” (literally: “claw” but I don’t know english term). It’s a structure which looks like an acrylic (de)formed ring, which is cut in one point and in which way obtained ends were attached to cShell custom earmold. This structure fills your auricle, which make stable position of earmold.

The con of this solution is the receiver is mounted in way that forces you/your audi have to sell it to Phonak if you want to replace/change the receiver.

@Sierra, thanks for the article!

I’ve circled what you are potentially missing, given a perfect fit. It’s not a lot.

Phonak probably got back to your audiologist and said “The P receiver won’t fit. Do you want to proceed with a slimtip and an M receiver, or move to a cShell with a P receiver?” And your provider said “M” thinking she could just jam the P receiver in. :man_shrugging: Sometimes that works.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, Neville!
:grin:

Perhaps like one of these?:
http://otohearing.com/index.php/oto-products-2/custom-bte-earmolds

@Neville, thanks for graphs! Are they calculated for custom earmold with no venting? I’m a bit disappointed - I though that occluded fitting could provide full gain in the highest frequencies, particularly when I have the audibility 4K and 8K a bit better than 1k-2k range. But I’m thankful for your investigation :wink:

@NateS, unfortunately, the link don’t work, maybe it’s accessible only for Americans. Maybe show the screen, please?

1 Like

2 Likes