How well does Roger Select work if I hold it/wear it?

Hi,

I found a relatively cheap second hand Roger Select In with 2 licenses and was considering buying it (I wear Lumity L90).

But I was wondering how well it works in bars/restaurants/dinners if I wear it (on me) instead of putting it on the table, because it might be more convenient and less awkward that way.

Thanks in advance for your replies and best wishes!

You will hear yourself very clearly. It works well when worn by those you want to hear. I don’t think your idea will be very effective. Or place it on a table when you want to hear those at the table.

WH

1 Like

Thank you! I guess I’ll stick with Google Pixel + Sound Amplifier app.

The problem @DamonHill, with just wearing it (Presenter Mode or Lanyard Mode) only 1 microphone is activated, that will still pickup voices in your vicinity, but it won’t be as effective as Table Mode, when all the Microphones are active… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

And can’t you manually set it in table mode while wearing it with the lanyard?

1 Like

I have thought about that question @DamonHill, perhaps that is possible, if you connect to the Roger Select, via the My Roger Mic App, it may work, if you manually set it to Table Mode? I will try it tomorrow… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Thank you very much, let me know!

@kevels55
I didn’t realise the Roger Select could connect to the MyRogerMic app, I thought only the RogerOn could?

Peter

1 Like

I’m not sure Peter, I will find out… Cheers Kev :grin:

1 Like

“Wear it” doesn’t work but “Hold it” does. It is a bit awkward, the ON is much better for that, but I do it. I have also tried to wear it on my wrist like a wierd watch at stand-up events and it is doable but tricky. I now carry the ON with me everywhere and don’t use the Select much.

2 Likes

Thanks!
In what way is it tricky to put in on your wrist?

Hi Damon, no @PeterH was correct, unfortunately, the Roger Select doesn’t connect to the, My Roger Mic App… But I have slightly experimented with it, it would mount on the cuff of a shirt, fleece, using the magnetic Select holder (image below) it would probably mount on a wristband, using the same magnetic holder… Cheers Kev :grin:

Edit: Link to the clip below from Connevans :grin: The 2nd image it is clipped on the cuff of my fleece…

I don’t have a Select, but I tried this out with the On in table mode earlier today. I can lock it in that mode and clip it to my own collar, and it’s better than nothing for picking up the voices of others at the table, but noticeably worse than just putting it on the table. If I use the app to deselect the portion of the circle pointing upwards towards me, my own voice isn’t picked up as much, and that doesn’t seem to impact others’ voices. I think you can do that with the Select without using the app. You get a lot of fabric rustling noise that way, though.

Setting it on my leg under the table was also better than nothing, but also markedly worse than setting it on the table. Really, I don’t think anyone is going to care if you put it on the table.

2 Likes

@CombatWombat
When I’ve used mine (either Select, Pen or RogerOn), I’ve ust put it on the table next to my phone. Nobody really notices, especially the RogerOn or Pen.

Peter

2 Likes

Thanks! So how was the audio in your experience when you put the Roger Select around your wrist?

1 Like

You are welcome… It seemed fine Damon, I never noticed any difference in the short trial, although, I would probably highly recommend a wristband in conjunction with the “ Phonak Select Clip”, it will make the Select more stable, I believe the Select has some sort of gyrocompass onboard, as soon as it is tilted, it switches back to “Presenter Mode”… Place your wrist level again, and it automatically switches back to Table Mode… But overall, I believe worn on the wrist would work, it won’t be perfect, but it will work… Good Luck, cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

@kevels55
The RogerOn definitely detects whether it’s horizontal or vertical. I’m pretty sure the select has the same

Peter

2 Likes

And so, if it’s vertical, does it become useless to hear others better?
Would it only amplify your own voice?

1 Like

The Pen had a button you could use to control the mode. You can also control the mode on the ON. The Easy Pen and the Select switch automatically when you tilt them. The Table Mic doesn’t do that. You could probably wear one of those around your neck on a lanyard. It would look like you won one of those WWE prize medals but it might work.

3 Likes

No Damon, it will still pick up voices close by, if you where in a crowd say, you could tilt your wrist, and point it at a single speaker you wanted to hear, each individual Mic is directional, there are 6 Mics, whichever Mic is uppermost, it will light up and switch on, place your wrist flat again, and all 6 Mics light up, and switch on… A wristband wound be needed to have control of the directionality… Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like