How well does Roger Select work if I hold it/wear it?

So, the Pen In would be the best option (rather than the Select In) for this purpose, right?

I would say the On is the best option because you can manually control the mode and configure the six directional microphones via the app no matter what position itā€™s in.

If you wear the Select vertically and the topmost mic lights up by default, is it still possible to manually turn that one off and turn the other ones on? If so, and if you only want to use it that way, then itā€™s probably about the same as the On for that specific purpose.

1 Like

Apparently itā€™s not possible, they saidā€¦

@CombatWombat
The On has 4 microphones, and are not individually directional. The position of the mics can mean it can detect a soundā€™s direction, and with a combination of at least 2, can emulate a Select.

2 Likes

IMO Damon, The Pen is iffy at best, itā€™s okay, but the On & Select are far superiorā€¦ I will get my leather making gear out, (perhaps next week?) and make a leather wristband to suit the Select, and try the Select out in the real world, mounted on my wrist, Iā€™m curious to see how effective it might be, if anything, it should be a bit of fun, and most certainly a focal point of some of my friends attention, as itā€™s slightly larger than a normal watch, and bright green LEDā€™s, I may get some curious looks, but in truth, I am way beyond any aesthetic issues, if it works, I will certainly ware it :grin: I have 3 Selects, 2 x iNā€™s, and one normal Select, I bought 2 on eBay fairly cheaply, I soldered in a new battery in one of the iNā€™s, the battery was goosed, it now runs perfectā€¦ Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

The four mics on the Roger on form a beam forming single virtual microphone. It can be directional in a variety of ways in table mode. In pointing mode and presenter mode they look along the length of the mic.

WH

3 Likes

@WhiteHat
Thank you, thatā€™s a better explanation

2 Likes

Thanks, Kevin, let me know about the results of your real life tests!

And thanks to everybody else in this thread!

Cheers!

1 Like

Yeah, I remembered that right after I posted. But the table mode interface in the app is a circle carved into six wedges, just like the Select, and thatā€™s the only way to control the directionality in table mode. As far as I can tell, thereā€™s no way to control any of the four physical mics individually. You just pick which of the six ā€˜pizza slicesā€™ you want to hear, and the software figures out what to do with each mic to achieve that.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly right. I find table mode works best :slight_smile:

Cheers Peter

1 Like