How to pair my Oticon OPN with my computer

Hi there,
I have question for how to pair my Oticon OPN1 with my laptop. No matter what I tried, Laptop did not recognize my hearing aids but it did recognize my wireless headset.
The reason why I am asking is that I have a need to listen to certain training programs in the lab/library and I can not turn on audio from my laptop in this room due to others presented and they need a quiet environment. Only way to listen is to use the headset. My headset is a small traditional with ear bug. If I removed my hearing aid and plugged the headset ear bugs into my ears then I can’t understand anything but noisy and distort audio. I have borrowed the big giant headset that covered the ears but that headset caused Oticon program shifted all over the places in every few minutes if I moved my head.
I have read the Oticon about the streamer pro but it seamed not for Computer. Other Oticon site recommended to use the connect clip with BTD800 Bluetooth USB dongle to connect hearing aid to computer. I am very confused now since my hearing aids is Bluetooth and my Laptop is also Bluetooth enable (Newest Laptop) so why can’t they talk to each other but I was given an advice (oticon site) that I need to have a connect clip’s Bluetooth and the dongle’s Bluetooth to connect my laptop’s Bluetooth to hearing aids’ Bluetooth???

Am I over kill here? Is there anyone has same need or has any advice please let me know

Thank you

You have to have the connect clip to connect between your hearing aids and the laptop

2 Likes

@tritrang, I don’t have OPN1 anymore, but, when I did, I never found them to connect directly to a computer through Bluetooth. I believe you need the ConnectClip and the dongle. As I recall, the dongle did provide a stable connection between my hearing aids and the computer. I’m sure someone else on the Forum can give you accurate info on this topic. Good luck.

Thank you cvKemp and richnfamus1 for your quick responds!
well, if that is true then I am very disappoint about Oticon OPN that they want me to make two extra hops (using connect clip and dongle) to bind my hearing aids with my laptop (just a waste don’t you think so?).
I do believe you two answers are corrected but I still hope I can find place to download the driver of Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR for my laptop because it is obviously I can use my Iphone6 plus connected to my Oticon OPN1 for phone call and streaming music… so I think laptop should be capable to do same thing … if you think this is good quest, please let me know

thank you again

All,
I just found on Amazon about this BTD 500 USB Dongle. while searching for dongle and connect clip. Here was the quotes from one of the customer: “Product pairs perfectly with [my] Phonak Com Pilot II remote for [my] Phonak hearing aids. [I] enjoy being able to connect [my] hearing aids via bluetooth to [my] pc and stream music directly to [my] hearing aids”.

Is this true for Oticon OPN 1 as well? please note I am not associating with this product nor I am part of Amazon. Please give me the input if you ever use this without connect clip

Thank you

I have OPNs, and the part you’re quoting there is the same thing as OPNs. Com Pilot II is the streamer for Phonak aids. Connectclip is the streamer for your OPN aids.

You need the ConnectClip - there is no other option. You then pair the Clip to your laptop / phone / etc and it streams the sound from the bluetooth connected device.

OPNs can only directly connect to iPhones without a ConnectClip.

1 Like

Your hearing aids are Bluetooth Low Energy, they don’t connect directly with standard Bluetooth devices (like your computer). Most HAs can’t connect to Bluetooth, the only I know is Phonak.

You need an accessory which will act as a bridge between your PC and your HA, and those devices the ComPilot II, the Connect Clip. I don’t use them, other users here have them.

So, you need a device which connect to your laptop, and that device will send to your HA.

2 Likes

I connect my Oticon HA to my computer with a TV Adapter 3.0 (see manual here).

Yes, it’s counterintuitive, because, hey, it’s a TV adapter. But, just like your TV, your computer has an audio out as well. Just plug that into the adapter and let it stream directly into your headphone. You only have to pair it once with your HA, and you’re good to go. And you don’t need two hops between your computer and your HA. Just one. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

Thank you Real_soul. your way is very creative!
I don’t have TV adapter but will consider this option if it is cost effective :slight_smile: but I think if I go with your option, I will have to carry that bulky box and it’s power adapter everywhere… hey everything has the price of it right… as long as it works and cheap, I will vote “yes”!
Thank you again

Thank you Syncros, and melvyn for your verification. I will do some more research and to see if I can find anything else. If not, I think I may have to go with your ways or Real_soul’s way

Thank you all

@tritrang, Maybe this video will help you? This is how I did it when I had OPN 1 (first generation) and an Android phone and PC. I don’t know if it’s any different when you use an iPhone or Mac computers.

Using the TV Adapter to bridge between your computer and the OPN is fine. I’ve done the same thing before with my older laptop that doesn’t have Bluetooth support. However, you’d have to buy the TV Adapter for this, just the same as you’ll have to buy a ConnectClip. You’re probably better off buying the ConnectClip, which is much smaller and will allow you to stream with other Bluetooth enabled devices like Android phones, Android tablets, etc.

If your laptop does not support Bluetooth, an inexpensive and unobtrusive Bluetooth dongle from Amazon should allow it to work with the ConnectClip just fine. In fact, this is what I do now for my older laptop that doesn’t have Bluetooth support. It’s much cleaner than connecting it to the TV Adapter if you need to portability/mobility for your laptop.

2 Likes

@tritrang, When I had OPN1, my audiologist recommended the Sennheiser BTD800 dongle because, at the time, Sennheiser was partnered with Oticon. The dongle worked very well, and it cost about $70 on Amazon. But I’m sure that other tech-informed users on this Forum probably know of cheaper alternatives. You will have to pair it with a ConnectClip.

I connect the connect clip directly to my MacBook Air. Without the need for the dongle

1 Like

thanks richnfamus1. Very good resource! I will apply this as soon as I have enough accessory

I just ordered a usb audio transmitter from Ebay ($5.28) to experiment. If it works that is great if not… just a small tip for learning :).
Actually Sennheiser customer support said BTD500 was old and obsoleted. He recommended BTD800

Thanks for the input

yes, my laptop has bluetooth.

thank you Volusiano for your input

All,
one more question please:
If I buy ConnectClip, do I need to visit audiologist for her to pair the connectclip with my hearing aid? or is it something that I can pair by myself? I think you know why I am asking this :slight_smile: because certain Audi offices will refuse to program anything that is not sold by their offices
Thank you.

Opn hearing aids do not pair directly with a laptop. They pair to a connectclip, which pairs to the laptop. I have a connectclip, which I use for several hours each day. It works well and I have no complaints about it.

The user pairs the HAs with the connectclip. The audiologist has nothing to do with it, unless you have a helpful audiologist.