How to pair my Oticon OPN with my computer

This is what I use for a USB Bluetooth dongle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0775YF36R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It costs $6.99 from Amazon.

To clarify, if your PC already has Bluetooth support, you can just pair the ConnectClip to it.

If your PC does NOT have Bluetooth support, you can either use a USB Bluetooth dongle like above to give your PC the Bluetooth support to pair with your ConnectClip. This does require a little bit of setup on your PC to get it to work, however.

But if you simply need to connect to a 3.5mm female audio plug (in case you don’t have USB or it’s not your PC to freely setup however you want), you can just get a 3.5mm male connector Bluetooth transmitter like this one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless-Headphone/dp/B07MTFRKQM/ref=sr_1_6?crid=VKAWMRP3UKR5&keywords=3.5mm+bluetooth+transmitter&qid=1569019150&s=electronics&sprefix=3.5mm+bluetooth%2Celectronics%2C194&sr=1-6.

All,
Here is what I found and it works like a charm :slight_smile:
I did a search and found there is third party who made software for MAC. here is the site: https://www.rogueamoeba.com. I went there download the application called airfoil for window; install it, then go to my Iphone app to download app call airfoilsatelite for IOS (Notes: they have Airfoil for Mac and airfoilsatelite for androi as well). Then I opened the airfoil app in window then selected let say Internet explore, then I opened youtube. then I went to my IOS and opened airfoilsatelite… it automaticall played right into my hearing aids! very sweet. The license for this software in window is only $29.00 vs 400.00 connectclip. I think you can use the trial but just don’t know for how long
I think this just works out perfect for me. Of course, If any of you want a luxury to carry around then I guess you have to buy connect clip.
Just another note that before you do anything, you have to have your Iphone connect to your PC laptop through bluetooth (very easy to do). So to sum up. PC connects to Phone, then Phone connects to HAs --> I think this is how the life should be!!

I want to thank you again to all of you who gave me advises and tips on this thread… I will try to see how this works and will come back to report the pro and con

Thanks for sharing this. Basically you’re using your iPhone as a virtual ConnectClip with the support of Airfoil. That’s probably OK for your specific need, but it doesn’t measure up to actually having and using a ConnectClip due to the lack of being able to connect directly and seamelssly with Bluetooth to Bluetooth, like ConnectClip to Android phone or table, ConnectClip to PC, ConnectClip to a Smart TV that has Bluetooth support, etc. There’s no need to install and run Airfoil on the PC and Airfoil Satellite on the iPhone if you use the ConnectClip.

But more importantly, and this is a deal breaker for me, the Airfoil route, which I just tried for the heck of it, introduces a noticeable if not significant latency to the audio by the time it reaches the OPN. This is to be expected, however, because the software solution is almost always slower than a hardware solution.

I tried this process using the VLC media player to play a movie. Not only was there a noticeable and significant lag, the audio was also not smooth. From time to time it was dropped momentarily before it resumes, but it’s noticeable no matter how quickly it recovers and resumes.

1 Like

Volusiano, I do agree with you that if using ConnectClip, then it will be easier to connect to more application such as TV, or Tablet and no need to setup any software. However, if anyone wants to pay very little, again very little ($29.00), then using Airfoil is not a bad option at all.

In term of latency in signal between Pc and HA once in a while when using Airfoil, Did you use the paid version? it said paid version will have more stable signal and more quality in sound… I am still in trial version and still do not know if that statement is true or not but I reported to this forum in case anyone know of want to take a shot

No, I didn’t see any reason to pay for the paid version, so I only stuck with the trial version. I do agree that for your specific need, the Airfoil solution may be adequate for you. Let us know once you’re on the paid version if it’s improved. It may be very helpful for other folks who don’t own the ConnectClip as well.

Ok, all,
I think the paid version has been working ok. But the only issue that I have now is the phone is getting very very hot as the burner quickly after 15, or 20 minutes of usage. I think may be my sorry Iphon6 was not mean to design for this! … just to keep an update

What if you had your iPhone plugged in while using Airfoil? Maybe with it plugged in, the battery won’t be drained too much too quickly that it would generate such heat?

Thank you Volusiano,
it’s still hot but it works better!.

Thank you all

I’m guessing the reason for the “Bluetooth Low Energy” is to extend the battery life/charge of the devices? Vs. if they were standard Bluetooth, would they require more power then? I know Bluetooth is a power vampire on phone batteries, so I presume it is the same for the hearing aides? I hope I I am clearly stating my questions here…

Thank you,
Mike

Hi, Mike,

Yes, Bluetooth low energy is less draining. I have it on my Signia Pure RICs.

However, the downside it that I find it much harder to use low energy than standard bluetooth to connect my hearing aids to other devices like my phone or computer or TV.

–Steve

BLE is not used to connect the HAs to a computer or TV or phone, except for an iphone (MFi is based on BLE). When you connect the HA to any device except an iphone, you are using BT Classic for audio. BLE is ONLY used on phones other than iphones for the OPN app to monitor battery, volume, mode, etc.

Yes, basically. There might also be latency advantages, Mfi connections are low latency. Unsure if it would be theoretically possible to develop a low-latency protocol with Bluetooth Classic.

Please provide a reference to MFi being “low latency”. I’ve never seen a single reference that provided any details about the MFi implementation, latency or otherwise.

I would not hold my breath for a low-latency implementation using Bluetooth Classic. It’s years old, after all. As far as I know, all the development in Bluetooth is in the new BLE protocols.

MFI being Apple good luck. I do a lot of videos from my iPhone and stream it to my aids and lip read too I haven’t noticed any latency. True that doesn’t prove anything. I also use the Oticon TV connect and stream the sound to my aids and lip read still I notice no latency. And that also goes for face to face conversations with friends I lip read and all three are without latency to me

Without scouring the interwebs, I don’t have one. As per @cvkemp’s reply, many users here seem to use tv streamers with their mfi aids to watch tv with their partners. That would be really painful if there were significant latency between the streamer and the aids.

1 Like