How to create trial Genie 2 programs w/o losing audi's original?

I’m a beginner with Genie 2 and am trying to learn how to create alternative programs using my audi’s program and my audiogram as a basis, but making sure that I save the audi’s program and my audiogram without any changes.

I’ll soon receive new More 1s, which will already have my audiogram and my audi’s fitting program installed. I’m hoping to use the audi’s program as a basis for DIY fine tuning adjustments.

What is the simplest way using Genie 2 to accomplish what I’ve described? Do I create a file for a different “new client” for each trial program I make? Is there a way to import into each new client’s program my audi’s settings, his own program, and my audiogram, and then make changes? Can I create more than one alternative trial program, and then load these one at a time to my HAs so I can compare the results while using them?

I’m sure the way I’ve expressed these questions reflects a beginner’s ignorance, but I hope some of this makes sense!

Many thanks for advice to get me started!

Good idea, always good as a baseline.

Yes that’s one way of doing it, you can add a new client for you to experiment with,and have one with your original audiologist fitting. You can always go back to this whenever you want to.

Yes, you can have as many clients you wish with the original audiologist fitting, you start a client and connect and then click save to session and HAs.

But I think you really need to do a few “simulation mode” fittings to get familiar with how Genie2 software works, it’s really simple and the workflow is easy to understand.

Yes and no, it’s not how you do things, makes no sense to just do one “program” at a time, you do the whole shebang as a session.

Yes your correct, I’m a little confused with some of the way you’ve worded some things, but one golden rule is not to overthink everything, remember Genie2 has a built in helper that you can find at the top of the page, click on that and it opens up a webpage with a ton of information, everything is there to find.

1 Like

Your audi doesn’t create a program and then store the program in your hearing aids.

Your audi creates various settings to store inside your hearing aids. At the End Fitting step the settings are stored in your hearing aids (and hopefully, if you want to avoid losing the settings they are also stored in a fitting session in the database.

TIP: When viewing a client you may need to click an expansion arrow> in order to change the condensed view into an expanded view showing all client sessions. TIP2: after expanding to see all the sessions, click a session and it will show you the session comments where you can include helpful session comments such as “Original Settings

1 Like

tenkan - Many thanks for your step-by-step reply, very helpful – and thanks for bearing with me as I struggle to express things coherently! Yes, I’ll do what you suggest, first become more familiar with Genie2 and make use of the Help on Genie2 webpage.

The sentence I didn’t understand in your reply was “Yes, you can have as many clients you wish with the original audiologist fitting, you start a client and connect and then click save to session and HAs.”

Does this mean that to save the original audi’s fitting, I need to create a new client, connect to the HAs, and then, before I make any changes, immediately save both to that new session and the HAs? – If I understand this (and maybe I don’t), then this will save the original audi’s fitting under that new session/client name. If so, then for my records I’d name this something like “Original Fitting.”

Once I do this, so that I don’t overwrite the Original Fitting with any of my own changes, would I then start a different new client? Does it make sense to ask if I can then “import” the Original Fitting settings into that new client for me then to build on?

Thank you, pvc, for your helpful reply and especially for the two tips in the expanded view. With my background in computer programming (long ago), it was helpful to learn that I should be referring to “settings” and not “programs.” I didn’t know (among much else!) that I can include comments relating to each sessioin, which will be useful.

Again, thanks!

Yes that’s it.

Yes I’d do that, some other’s have a different way they like to do this.

Yep, so guess what your session comment should be on your very first session? It should be “Original Settings” because the task at hand is to read the settings from your hearing aids, make no changes, and save the settings into the first session that will be forever tagged as "Original Settings".

1 Like

Again yes you can that, no problem.

Today (1/15/2023) I saved my hearing aid settings to client Joe Blow;

At the beginning;

At END FITTING;

Next time you connect;

Saving to a separate client name is a bonehead idea that shows you don’t understand the purpose of your database sessions. :crazy_face:

Image if your audiologist did this? He might have a database that looks like this;

• John Smith’s little brother
  • John Smith
  • Joe Jones’s Little brother
  • Joe Jones

Bonehead? but yeah seperate clients is the way for most, we’re not an audiologist clinic, were DIY, this shows you dont understand DIY, you want to do it the bonehead way, good for you.

I think that reply was from John Smith’s little brother :wink:

Ha ha, well at least you still have a “FunnyBone”

Don’t forget to tie a string around your finger as a reminder for what the heck that extra client name was?
c3

btw> Sessions are never overwritten so what was saved into your first session will always be sitting there in your first session! What better place could you possibly invent to save your original settings?

tenkan and pvc - Really helpful and clear! Makes much more sense to me now. Thank you for taking the time to explain in detail like this.

When I make multiple clients, I put the name as what the session is as it’s easier and quicker to see.

I’m only programming my own Aids so I don’t need to put my name as I know it’s me.

1 Like

No one is saying don’t ever use multiple client names!!. If a DIYer wants to go off on a tangent and experiment with something new (for example; in-situ) then it makes perfect sense to add a completely new client (Joe Insitu) for this branch of testing. I do this myself.

I am only saying there is no better place than (session #1 with a comment=“Original Settings”) for storing your original settings.

OTOH; if you don’t want to understand the way sessions work (with the expansion arrow and session comments), then you could not use any sessions at all. Instead, you could store each and every fitting into a different client, for example (Joe One, Joe Two, Joe Three).

But don’t tell me that it’s a good idea to recommend this method to new DIYers.

@pvc

You literally go off on one and makes threads way more complicated than they need to be!!

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Oh, great! Now I have two of them. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’m sorry that you don’t understand. I am guessing that you don’t want to understand because it’s not really complicated as you claim.

1. Teaching newbies to ignore database sessions is a dumb idea. Sorry, I won’t stand for it.
  2. Teaching newbies how to use >expansion arrows and session comments so that they can learn to use sessions correctly is a better idea.

To be continued… I dunno? Maybe?

It’s not like they’re gonna be working as an audiologist and program other people hearing aids so does it really matter?!

Also you won’t stand for it?! Well it’s up to them unless you want to police them and harass them?!

If they find a simpler way to do things then that that is okay? But police them for whatever reason other than to please yourself!

I haven’t used session comments in over 10 years and it hasn’t mattered!!

:person_shrugging:

1 Like