How to connect the Oticon Connect Clip dongle to an iMac

I was excited to learn that there is a device which will allow me to listen through my Oticon hearing aids to calls on the computer. I work from home on my computer and spend a lot of time on TEAMS. I received a ConnectClip and could connect to them however, the dongle will not fit into my 2021iMAC. Does anyone know if there is a different dongle that works with the connectors for iMAC. I currently have the BTD 800USB ML dongle. Thank you all for your help.
Elizabeth

First off the connect clip should pair with your computer without the need for the dongle, I don’t even own the dongle and haven’t even had the need for it. But you can find adapters on Amazon to adapt the dongle to the USBC of your computer.

3 Likes

With your iMac, you just need to pair the ConnectClip to the iMac and your hearing aids. As per

All iMacs have Bluetooth, definitely no dongles are requried.

2 Likes

Insert dongle directly into USB port. That’s all.

I have a Mac Studio M1 and I directly paired my own Oticon connect clip using bluetooth/sound settings without a dongle.

1 Like

One would wish your statement is true but it is not in my experience. I have an iMac Pro (2017, model iMacPro1,1). With older versions of macOS, my ConnectClip (with current firmware at the time) when used with OPN and OPN S 1 aids (with current firmware) would pair but not operate correctly with the iMac Bluetooth (dropouts, stuttering audio, etc). With a BTD800 (USB-A connector) supplied with my ConnectClip, the ConnectClip worked fine. I didn’t need the BTD with a similar vintage work MacBook Pro. When I was trying to figure out the issue, I was told by an Oticon Tech Support person (called by my provider) that I should use the BTD800 with the iMac and it was more likely that it would be needed with a desktop than with a laptop. One macOS update changed the firmware level of the internal iMac Bluetooth; after that the ConnectClip worked better with the built-in Bluetooth but I still use the BTD 800.

Elizabeth,

There are several models of the BTD800 - some fit the old, original USB connector (rectangular) while others fit into the newer USB-C connector. If you have only USB-C connectors on your iMac and have the original BTD800 you can use an adapter (Apple sells them as do many other vendors). USB-C is not orientation specific unlike the original USB connector.

Once you have the BTD 800 connected to your iMac and paired with your ConnectClip, you may have to select the BTD 800 as the output audio device in Sound Settings to route audio through your ConnectClip - mine shows up as a “Sennheiser BTD 800 USB for Lync”.

Note that the firmware of the BTD800 can be updated (and there have been many updates, some of which are related to Teams) using the EPOS Connect program. EPOS Connect seems to finally work OK with macOS but originally I had to update firmware using Windows.

https://www.eposaudio.com/en/us/enterprise/software/epos-connect

2 Likes

Thank you so much for providing additional detail. Using the EPOS connect program I was finally able to use my ConnectClip. It seemed like a very simple process yet my computer could not “find” the connect clip until I added EPOS.

The instructions for Oticon Connect Clip you posted, unfortunately don’t help the pairing with the iMac M1

With the M1 macbook you may not even need the connect clip. I don’t remember which m class chip set that has MFI built in.

Supposedly the 2024 iMac M1 has the MFI built in. But it doesn’t - unfortunately. I have been speaking to Apple and Oticon and they both don’t seem to be able to resolve the issue.