How to clean custom earmold vents?

I’ve received a brush (Cedis brand) from my HCP, see left item on the picture:

It snapped after a few usages. Are there any alternatives? How do you guys clean your vents? I got a 0,8mm vent and my HCP said otoflos wouldn’t get all the way through.

Mine is around 14 years old.

They fold in and works when they are in your bag and travelling.

3 Likes

Can you give me the name/brand of this product?

Mine says Rayovac on it but Ezy Dose seem to sell them now and not Rayovac.

Google Lens says it is Ezy Dose Audio-kit. Amazon.nl in Holland sells it for €8. But I assume if you search for it in your country you’ll get other results too.

I use " Interdental Brushes" from CVS pharmacy (USA) (similar to “GUM” product). They come in three widths, so you can find one right size for your vent. It’s a soft plastic brush without metal parts, so much less scratch and damage potential.

Low cost, works great.

I use those too. Here’s US link on Amazon. GUM dental picks

Lol, how big are your vents? Those gums are easily 2-3mm.

They have the Ezy Dose Audio-kit on Amazon for $9.99

LOL Zebras… I have this exact same go-to kit, same vintage.

2 Likes

There are some strong and small diameter fishing line which can be used to clean the vent of the HA. Plastic based gum cleaner is also ideal for cleaning of the vents and tubes of the HA.

Check it out.

I use this. Works every time.

2 Likes

Elderflower, My vent is nearly the size of a #2 pencil eraser on the outer end and maybe 4mm on the inner ear end. It is likely as large as they could make it and still have structural strength. I need the large interdental brush in order to actually touch all sides.

Yes, some prescriptions call for larger vents than you have. I have good low frequency hearing, and a larger vent preserves much of that as natural sound.

Haaaa. I guess I use the GUMS by pushing out the select a vent with the gums, clean the now big huge opening, and then stick the select a vent with tiny vent opening back in. Thinking about it, I’ve never cleaned the interior of the select a vent!

These work great. Keeps the vents perfectly clean. I use a new one each week.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BWY4DWS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paper clip does the job for me!

1 Like

I’ve bought something similar called otofloss. Works wonders!

I use the interdental brushes from Poundland (equivalant to dollartree in US, Im guessing?)

1 Like

Yes, the two products shown above I also have and find insufficient. Check out the interdental brushes -
these:
https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=574836027&sxsrf=AM9HkKnwnsfyuDlrM82Os-n7zJZfQe3FJA:1697723562846&q=Dentek+Easy+Brush+Interdental+Cleaners&si=ALGXSlZfbPvoKEX9-rpwwJXmz5Dhqc_mNgLczR-6ogQwEbJ5o5nwKYg0TADHg5bogAxpxz78kuSdbWn7AEzA7iSiBJQWTlvzxYJlDAxgHtlhyk3S08eZQsJ6GGNStx6crHlYAOS_Ku_1YLy1TrLea7T8YQhMk7Vw5uykzgQftyIMKABUTDblRvL4AWtjBpQOfeZR-GhCBktzBu8JtV8KhdlIZlEKgXj6ZQ%3D%3D&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwi3mY-PoYKCAxW_IEQIHWWEB2oQ3LoBegQICxAB&biw=1216&bih=696&dpr=2.5
and these:

I generall end up using all three to get a good result. Know what else comes in handy, for many purposes? A jewlers loupe!

https://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-Magnifier-Foldable-Magnifying-Diamonds/dp/B09Y8DWXN5/ref=asc_df_B09Y8DWXN5/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=647306563415&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1064955747982283267&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031037&hvtargid=pla-1902184113292&psc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEqJlHrEBdZyYAV0sa1ME_ZxPV64xJNY5HvM7ONzy7OHsOiwhXz1TQxoCP5wQAvD_BwE

1 Like