How can I stream audio from my laptop to my hearing aids?

Hello need some help. Due to the current covid19 situation I need to access online continuing educ. classes. The audio is not good. what do I need to be able to stream from my laptop to my aids so I can better hear and understand the webinars?

1 Like

It all depends on what aids you have.

Iā€™d like to know if this is possible. Maybe through Bluetooth?

All depends what hearing aids you have? The only hearing aids that have Bluetooth in them is the Phonak Marvel.

Perhaps a little elucidation on audio ā€˜not goodā€™, and as Zebra says it depends on your aids.

Plug a TV streamer thatā€™s compatible with your aids into the headphone port?

2 Likes

I have the Starkey 2400AI I do have a TV streamer for them but moving it back and forth from the TV to computer is not a good option for me.

I donā€™t know the Starkey world of accessories but I use an intermediate streaming device (ConnectClip) with my Oticon OPN S 1 aids to stream audio from a computer and my VOIP bluetooth capable phone at work. For the phone, the ConnectClip and hearing aids combo appear to be a bluetooth headset. I expect Starkey has a similar device, maybe it would be the Remote Microphone + that appears to be a bluetooth streamer among other things. The downside might be cost.

With the Oticon solution I had to use a Senneheiser BTD 800 USB dongle with a desktop computer but not with an Apple MacBook Pro notebook - probably depends on the details of the bluetooth implementation of the computer.

I purchased a 2nd TV streamer to leave connected to my PC. I have to "re-introduceā€™ the streamer to the HAs every time I switch between PC and TV, but that is a quick and easy task.

2 Likes

biggar you are right it occurred to me to call Starkey tech support just as you posted. They said that the remote mic will do that but I need their cable. I already have the remote. However my aids come from the VA and the local clinic is still closed and they donā€™t know when they will reopen.

I called a local audi office and to see if I could buy one from them they are happy to sell me one for $29.99 plus $65.00 because I am not a patient of thereā€™s. I guess iā€™ll have to wait till the VA audi openā€™s and see if they will order one.

Most laptops have bluetooth - you may need to turn it on/enable it. Looking at the on-line manual for the remote mic +, it should be able to pair with both your hearing aids and a computer or phone or other bluetooth device. Once paired with your computer (p13 of the on-line manual), you should be able to stream audio from the computer to your hearing aids without a cable if the Starkey setup is similar to my Oticon ConnectClip.

One possible issue with Bluetooth is an incompatible bluetooth implementation in the computer. I had to use a USB bluetooth dongle with my desktop but not with my notebook (both Apple). Oticon provided a Senneheiser BTD 800 USB with the ConnectClip. Oticon tech support recommended that it always be used with any desktop due to many incompatible/incomplete implementations in desktops. They indicated many laptops would work without the additional dongle but the dongle might provide better performance than some built-in laptop bluetooth adapters.

Thanks I have tried several times to pair it with the computer with no succes but i will give it another go. I have never been able to get the computer to recognize the remote mic. My computer is a 7 year old macpro so I assume it is just not up to the task.

You might try just using headphones or earbuds while online. At least until you find some fancier way of hearing. I donā€™t think you will look odd on zoom with earbuds.

You may have to use a headphone amplifier. Thatā€™s what I do

Thanks biggar I tried again and was succesful this time. I had to get with starkey tech because the thrive app would not let me delete and older remote mic that had been replaced and the computer was trying to find it.

I am now able to stream from the computer to my aids through the remote mic just as I do with calls and music. So I wonā€™t have to buy a set of head phones which is good because I really do not like to wear them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve a samsung TV and Use the Tosco optical connect to the TV connector (Streamer, I think) and my computer is connected to the TV via a HDMI cable. The TV makes a excellant monitor. I mostly do you tube and Face Book Market place and Craigslist. Now Itheres also and 3.5 mm audio jack that came with the TV connector. MY HAā€™s are the Unidtrons or Uni -something. I played with the Bluetooth USB dongle thing till I almost went nuts (intermittant or just no connection) and then went and got the second streamer one for work and one for home. Now I get a good sollid connection once I pair to the connector when I come home. If I get a phone call it ding-dings and I talk right over the HAā€™s once thatā€™s done I go ringht on to the TV/Youtube. So, either move the CPU in next to the TV or get a ā€œLongā€ HDMI cable. bjr

I have the same kind of combo here. I wear Oticon aids and have the connect clip, I was lucky and got a brand new entire kit on E bay for a good price and itā€™s amazing. I use it with my OnePlus phone and also with my HP laptop, no dongle needed for my laptop. I would honestly be totally lost without my streamer now.

1 Like

The best way is via bluetooth or Mfi, and with a Streaming device.
IF you have Starkey, then:

I had this problem and it took a while to solve it, but I can only describe the solution for my own configuration:

• Macbook with macOS Mojave
  • iPhone with IOS13
  • Signia Pure 312 Nx (but it should also work with other MFI-HAs)

The mid-class Signia is MFI (made for iPhone) compatible. That means that it is coupled via a bluetooth subset to the iPhone such, that incoming calls can be heart in the HA and the mics of the hearing aid are transferred to the other party. This can be selected each time a telephone call is made or received. The Signia cannot be coupled to the normal bluetooth of the Macbook.

Installing the Airfoil app on the Macbook (running permanently, i.e. automatic start on booting) and Airfoil Satellite on the iPhone allows bidirectional transfer: if you start Airfoil Satellite on the iPhone, then the connection to the Macbookā€™s background Airfoil is established and you can channel either the system audio of the Macbook (i.e. everything) or special sources to the iPhoneā€™s coupled MFI. In addition you have a simple equalizer for adapting the sound characteristics.

Is the streamline tv easy to hook up to the laptop?