High price of Roger Pen and Roger Select

Maybe @Blacky can help you?

@WestEndBob has done this himself.
From reading his post it was very easy once he had the equipment.

Just to clarify - I did the license installation from 2 Roger X devices using the Roger Installer, and yes I agree it was a quick and easy thing to do. I don’t know If installing from an IN device is different, but I think it might be as the licence will be in the Pen / Select itself somehow.

1 Like

Actually, looking at this pdf from Phonak, it looks like it is even easier with an IN device :slight_smile:

Yup, just a pin/needle, and shutdown both ha, then turn on first only, then click the hole, then wait a sec to get good light. Then turn that ha off! And turn another one on. Again click on hole.

Turn both ha on and click on link button on select iN.

Total work if you’re doing it really slowly is 3 min :rofl:

Bold thing is crucial, otherwise you’ll just uninstall licence from HA and wonder why it is not working :rofl:

I guess in the price you’re quoted @aajkaal goes the time audi needs to find and read the doc.

I know this post is old but if you have the 02 receivers licenses installed into your Marvels.

You can change the volume of the actual receivers by 2 dB to 18 dB. I have mine set at 18 dB so hearing in noise is even better. If you don’t change the volume, the receivers are pre set at 0. I don’t know why Phonak call is 0 as 0 is actually 10 dB.

Thanks but what does “02 receivers licenses” mean?

The Roger iN Select / Pen all have the 03 licenses in them.

Simple google search comes up with your answer.

The 02 allow the EasyGain feature which is how you turn up or down the volume.

https://www.connevans.info/page/0203

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the pricing aspect - which does seem disproportionate to functionality - has some relationship to available subsidies in some jurisdictions.

While getting my most recent hearing aids, an audiologist casually mentioned to me that if I needed an FM system for work then government funding would likely be available (and indicated that the full cost might be covered, unlike hearing aids).

Where I live, the government only pays $500/ear for hearing aids which as anyone here knows is much less than the cost of good-quality HAs… but will pay a maximum of $1,350 (at 75% subsidy, despite what I understood from the audiologist) for an FM system. Lo and behold, the price of Phonak’s Roger Select iN in this market consumes that subsidy just right!

1 Like

I think there’s some truth to what you say. In some Phonak literature I’ve seen, they mention that Roger devices are aimed at people who have a third party paying for the device whereas PartnerMics are aimed at people paying for the device themselves.

Do you live in USA? If so, what government program helps with the Select iN?

In my case, you are wrong, but it is relative. In order for me to continue working, and do my job well, it is important for me to be able to hear and understand what people are saying. I know that some, and perhaps many, here have given up on that. I have not.

For me, the Roger Select and Pen were not expensive because they have more than paid for themselves.

5 Likes

No, I live in Ontario, Canada. The government program in question is called the Assistive Devices Program, which is just a name for the way the province contributes to the purchase of things like hearing aids, wheelchairs, and so forth - specific dollar amounts every few years if you are assessed as “needing” it by your doctor. It’s important, and I understand it’s more than many places, but for most things it’s not enough and in some circumstances may simply inflate the price since “everyone” qualifies.

1 Like

I’m not suggesting this device isn’t worth a lot of money to a user who can afford it, especially if its features are required for employment. One’s tolerance for expense here will be directly related to earning potential. Is a BMW overpriced? Can a less-expensive vehicle get the job done? Etc.

To be as clear as possible, my point is that based on the bill of materials (that is, the components used to make it) the Roger Select appears to be priced with a significantly higher profit margin than similar devices.

2 Likes

I don’t know of a similar device. Nothing else out there seems to do what the Select, or the pen, can do.

I am surprised that is the case. I would have thought someone else would have developed something similar by now. But no. There are some, even more expensive, remote mics that pro audio people use for movies and TV, but even those don’t match up.

For similar (not identical) devices, I have in mind the PartnerMic in particular, and other such devices various HA brands. Consider that price to start with, then do some mental math for adding TV Connector-type functionality, plus a circular array of beamforming microphones (a technology that is hardly so exotic now that they’re in quotidian gadgets like the Amazon Echo) and it still seems a bit difficult to multiply the input costs by 5-6x.

As always with HA-related devices, I’m sure it’s true the “small market” contributes to higher prices than would otherwise seem appropriate for a given technology. But again, I must emphasize that my gripe here stems from a modest familiarity with what’s under the hood rather than an assertion that the product is unsatisfactory in use.

1 Like

Can somebody please explain how these Roger devices work with other brands? I read above that you need the Roger X Receiver. What does that do and what do you plug it into?

It’s going to depend on what hearing aid and what accessory devices you have. I’m going to speak in generalities so verify specifics before buying. I think there are several possibilities to use with other brands. If the hearing aids have a T-coil, one could get a Roger My-Link to link with Roger devices. This will use t-coil tech so sound quaility may be reduced. If one has BTE hearing aids, it may be possible to get receivers that plug into the bottom of the hearing aid. This will likely require some modifications to the hearing aid. For Resound hearing aids that are compatible with a MultiMic, a receiver can be plugged into the MultiMic. For older Phonak aids that use a Compilot 2, a receiver can also be plugged in. Unless one is a devout Do it yourselfer, this will require the assistance of your audiologist. Other brands may have devices that a receiver can be plugged into.

You don’t mention the Roger X. Phonak’s website says “Roger X is a miniature universal receiver that is compatible with almost every hearing aid and cochlear implant speech processor on the market. It functions when connected to an audio shoe or streamer. Roger X is able to install Roger receiver via the Roger Installer”. So what does it plug into?

Edit: I just noticed my Oticon Streamer Pro has three little holes in the bottom, so I assume it goes in there. Anyone tried a Roger Pen or Roger Select with an Oticon Streamer Pro?

I didn’t mention Roger X because there are a number of Roger Receivers and I don’t know all of the intricacies. Plenty of people buy the wrong thing and are stuck with it. Roger X might be compatible with Oticon Streamer Pro. The references to the Roger Installer are talking about installing Roger “licenses” into Phonak Marvel or Paradise hearing aids.