Help Re - Pairing Lumity 90 trial hearing aids

These are way better than my Marvel M50s but right off the bat I found pairing the Lumity with my android and Phonak App frustrating, confusing and time consuming but I finally was successful. I have ADD and such complicated details are extra difficult for me. Maybe for the average person it’s no big deal but it is to me.

My first and only other hearing aids Phonak Marvel M50s were easier to pair. You just have them fully charged and turn them off and back on and usually pairing went without a hitch. With these new Lumity instructions are to put them back on charger in place of tuning off/on. I don’t recall instructionsandating the order of pairing. Either have to move charger or stand where I have charger and hope and pray they connect. First you have to do the pairing in proper order. Phone first or App I forget so need to check that.

The thing is that I finally had everything paired and working except my Roger Select but somehow two days ago they weren’t paired anymore and had to use speaker on phone. Maybe it happened when I had an online medical appt where before connecting I was asked if I agreed to microphone and camera. I dunno.

Anyway when they were paired it showed left and right lumity. But when they quit working and couldn’t connect them there was something else in the list I didn’t recognize and I thought maybe it was left over from online appointment and since I never saw it listed I deleted it.

Murphys Law, seconds later I saw a notice to ignore the 3rd / extra item as it was a necessary item. Why did I only get notice not to delete it after I deleted it. And why isn’t it named something sensible like NECESSARY PART OF LUMITY or something better than nonsensical random numbers letters? And how do I get it back.?

Please tell me I don’t have to forget hearing aids on phone and delete app and then download again and start from scratch. It took hours before I was successful the first time and my frustration level which is a byproduct of ADD had me near tears.

Will my marvel charger work as backup chargerwith current Lumity. I could move it to my end table and at least sit and be comfortable before I undertake this dreaded 2nd time pairing Lumity.? Also I would keep it in hand ag in case I end up unexpectedly spending the night somewhere.

I hope this isn’t going to be a recurring problem becoming unpaired because it will push my ADD over the limit to cope with. In fact I would choose not to keep the Lumity I’m still evaluating.

I used to be able do technology (computers etc) before I retired. But now technology is way ahead of me. In the past computer software was relatively intuitive. Now it seems just the opposite.

OK, you got about 100 questions here to tackle, and by no means am I an expert on all of them. I humbly defer to others for better info. But I’m GLAD you posted this, cuz I was about to ask my audi to help me install the Phonak phone app on my Android phone … and now maybe I’ll reconsider doing that?

First off, I kind of doubt that you can use the Marvel charging base for your Lumity aids. Part of that depends on whether you have the INDUCTION charger (like I do) for Lumity Life. Maybe someone else here can speak with experience. So that means you may need two separate charging bases for the two different models of Phonak aids.

I empathize with the crazy confusion of downloading app and then pairing + connecting the aids with your phone. I started this process at my audi’s and recall that you have to RENAME the aids. So they will in future ONLY pair + connect to your phone if you choose the CORRECT name. The Phonak app named my right and left aids something not intuitive. Without the Phonak app, the names of my aids are Champagne Lumity (for the newer pair, which are champagne in color) and Silver Lumity (for the older pair, which are silver in color). With those intuitive names, I can instantly tell what aids I want paired + connected to the phone.

Without the phone app, it’s actually pretty easy to get either pair streaming with the phone. When in doubt (or if things stop working), Just:

1. Go to your Bluetooth app
  2. Click on the System icon for the NAMED pair of aids
  3. Click Unpair; they will now disappear from the master list
  4. Now, turn Bluetooth OFF and power down your aids
  5. Now, turn Bluetooth ON and turn your aids back ON; those aids will now show up as PAIRED
  6. Again, click on the System icon for those aids to verify that they are also CONNECTED (my cell phones has 2 lines: one for connected Calls, the other for connected Audio)
    You’re GOOD TO GO!

If your Lumity aids have been renamed for the phone app, you’ll need to memorize that name so you don’t end up unpairing or removing them from the list in the Bluetooth app. That’s what I found confusing. So I bailed on installing the Phonak app on my cell phone. Life is easier if I just live without the app for now. Yes, I could fine-tune and fiddle with the settings a bit on my aids, but I don’t want to do that. I want them programmed and running with no intervention.

That’s just me.

Do you know you don’t need to put Lumity on charger to turn on/off? Simply press the button on the HA ling till it shows red light, it’s off. Do the same to turn it in, it will show green light.

You give good advice so I’m always glad when I see you have contributed. At my age I much prefer keeping things simple so I much likevyour directions for pairing way better than what I’ve read as well as what audiologists recommend. I need to get things back in order soon so hope to give your version a go later tonight. Thanks for your suggestions and info.

No I didn’t know that. Thank you. I wonder why directions and audiologists specify placing on charger. I’ll give it a try.

Oh I just checked and my hearing aids are listed as previously connected instead of currently. Also do you know what the 3rd item is which I unwittingly deleted? I don’t remember 3 items on my list before until just a few days ago. My aids were working without the new one indecipherable addition.

I don’t feel like Phonak does a good job informing us as I’ve never seen any reference other than a few days ago when they said IGNORE THE EXTRA ITEM. Why don’t they tell us what it is instead of ignore it. If I knew it was necessary I would not have deleted. It could have been any random Bluetooth device it picked up.

I think I have to have these paired I believe to get the remote adjustments.

Yes, I’m guessing your aids would need to be both PAIRED (the first step in connecting with Bluetooth) and CONNECTED (the final step needed to actually be able to stream a phone call directly into the aids.

Granted, your phone setup likely looks much different than my Samsung Flip-4. But I get what you’re saying. My Bluetooth doesn’t tell me if the aids were previously connected, but when they are NOT connected, I have a reversed out “Calls” and “Audio” after I click on the System icon gearwheel.

If I’ve Unpaired or Disconnected my aids from Bluetooth on my phone, it no longer shows up under the heading “Paired devices”. Instead, it shows up below under “Available devices”, and that’s when I’d need to first click on that item in the list (cuz it appears with ANY other Bluetooth enabled device in the general area). After clicking on the item “Silver Lumity” (i.e., the NAME of my aids), then it goes through a sequence of trying to first PAIR with the aids. That typically takes several seconds.

I am not able to CONNECT the aids to my cell phone without first pairing them.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go to “Settings” → Bluetooth (turn On bluetooth , if it is off)

For the Phonak hearing aids you need 3 entries in the bluetooth section.

• R-Phonak hearing aid ** for both aids streaming calls and audio **.
  • LE_L-Phonak hearing aid → for the left aid remote control for all settings you can do in MyPhonak app >LE = Low Energy
  • LE_R-Phonak hearing aid → for the right aid remote control for all settings you can do in MyPhonak app >LE = Low Energy

Note:
** either Right or Left: R-Phonak is the standard setting (or L-Phonak if the setting in Target software have been changed to Left)

• one of them is the master hearing aid → depending on the settings in Target fitting software → this is for streaming sounds to both aids and the icon for this include the symbol of an headphone.
    The smartphone streams to the master hearing aid , and the master hearing aid streams the sounds to the second hearing aid.
    The other two entries LE-R and LE-L are for the settings you can make in the MyPhonak app and for remote adjustments.

Connecting Phonak hearing aids to an Android smartphone

Here are a view links to some video tutorials

Tutorial 1 - Hearing Aids with removable batterie

Tutorial 2 - Hearing aids rechargable

Tutorial 3

If you still have trouble to find the three devices in the bluetooth pairing list

• delete the app,
  • reboot the phone.
  • reinstall the app
  • then follow the pairing steps.
2 Likes

Yes, connecting for streaming is generally automatic and works very smoothly, but connecting to the app can be a bit of a hassle. Once your Phonaks are set up properly, you should actually not need the app anymore. If, until then, the app won’t connect try to ‘force stop’ it (in settings-apps) and retry. If all Bluetooth connections fail, shut off your HAs, and keep the buttons depressed for 15 secs. Then put them in the charger until the lights turn back on.

I’m really ready to send this pair of Lumity 90 back because all this turn on turn off click forget pair. Restart phone. Restart app is making me crazy. And now I can’t get Bluetooth on phone calls and I can’t hear phone calls without them because the Echo is back.

But even if Bluetooth gets fixed I couldn’t possibly converse because when I insert Ha into my ears I get a whole symphony of high pitched whining and humming so that I can’t wear them for even 5 minutes. It’s about 4 to 5 days to get remote audi For adjustments of the symphon streamed intoy senses loud and clear. meanwhile I have no usable HA

I AM SO FAR PAST SICK AND TIRED OF PAIRING I GIVE UP. Why did they unpair anyway. Audi offered no explanation.

I have a very busy life and can’t afford to take 3 to 5 days to get HA fit to wear and Hear again.

I’m going to try again to unpair and pair again. I don’t know what the trouble is but one more shot today. Some days things seem to be or feel impossible. Things pile up and drag us down. That’s sort of where I am right now, feeling overwhelmed and isolated physically and mentally.

I just want to say thank you to all who come here, who give me a chance, a place to come for help and hope.

Thank you for those links. Maybe one of them holds the key, the answer so I will check them out for sure.

Thanks. Your input always helps because, for one thing, you’re a positive helpful person. Sometimes what doesnt make sense does later on so I have FILE with STUFF TO COME BACK TO LATE. I actually have moments of clarity where things suddenly make sense. ISN’T THAT WILD? :rofl::partying_face:

Have a nice hopefully peaceful happy day.

1 Like