Help choosing hearing aid, please

Hi there. I’m brand new to the forum, and I’ve spent the last few hours reading through posts. It seems like a really great community here. I’m overwhelmed at all the options when it comes to HAs. I got a hearing test last month, with the results in my profile. Mild to severe in left ear, moderate to severe in right ear. I also have very loud tinnitus all the time in the 8k range, but I’ve learned to ignore it over the last 10-15 years. My hearing loss is finally at the point where my wife and kids are tired of repeating themselves, so I guess I’m going to get HAs.

The audiologist who tested my ears wants to sell me Starkey Genesis AI 24 RIC, which will cost me about $4000 after my Aetna health insurance benefit of $2000. I’ve also been looking into the current offerings at Costco, which are significantly more affordable. $6000 seems like too much for the Starkeys.

What I’m most interested in:

Fairly small & light unit behind ear with RIC.
Rechargeable batteries that will last all day on a single charge.
Bluetooth that works reliably with Android cell phone, iPhone, iPad & Windows laptop PC.
Programmable with preset settings for different environments.
I don’t think I’ll really use any special tinnitus program. I’m hoping that the HA will improve my hearing enough at high frequencies to teach my brain to calm it down.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated! I’m a patient person, very tech savvy, and willing to read/learn whatever I can to save money if a DIY approach is possible. This is what I tend to do with most things like home & auto maintenance, repairs, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help :blush:

1. RIC type aids need more maintenance because the receiver wears out every 1-2 year and you need to change them. BTE is easier to maintain.
  2. Oticon Intent has the best rechargeable battery, which can last up to 39 hours on a single charge. However, replaceable batteries are better because you are insured against long-term power outages and you can go on lengthy camping trips where you won’t have access to plug sockets.
  3. If you need Bluetooth that must work with Windows PC, then Phonak is your only option because Phonak has Bluetooth Classic. Oticon and Starkey only work with iPhones and hi-end Android smartphones.
  4. All modern digital aids are programmable.

You should consider buying from eBay if you want to save on costs. If you buy used aids, you can save even more.

Thank you for the quick reply!

1. I’m willing to take on the extra maintenance for RIC. The BTE will probably be too uncomfortable since I wear glasses.

2. I’m not completely against the idea of replaceable batteries, depending on how often they need to be replaced and the cost. If I get rechargeable, I’d be fine as long as they last all day.

3. Is there a specific model of Phonak I should look out for? The Windows laptop is for work, but not a deal breaker if I can’t connect to it via BT. I could live with listening through the attached speakers as long as my HA is high enough quality to pick up on the voices in conference calls etc.

4. I’m open to the eBay idea if the savings are significant and I can still get the HA programmed somehow.

You mentioned Oticon, Starkey, & Phonak. It seems as though those are all double-to-triple the cost of the Rexton, Philips, & Jabra offered at Costco. Is the quality of the 3 you mentioned, that much better to justify the cost? I’m open to spending more if it’s worth it.

Thanks again!
Matt

@Matt_E
Hi Matt,
Your hearing loss is very similar to mine which makes me think you’ll benefit from some form of custom mold to get the high frequency gains you’ll need. Whatever you choose, you’ll wonder why you waited so long :slight_smile:

My Tinnitus is over quite a large range of the high frequencies, and hearing aids definitely take my mind off it, as those frequencies are now filled with real sounds.

I took the plunge in 2009 when I was struck with glue ear, in both ears. Tubes sorted that, but the hearing tests confirmed my loss. Here in the UK, hearing aids “can” be free through your local hospital. The early HAs were analogue and ugly, but steadily, they’ve improved in both style and functionality.

The last pair I received free, in October 2022, were NHS branded Phonak Bolero M70 312. These are on the RHS, but came with the thick tubes, and molds that are now on the LHS set. They take 312 batteries, which last around 4 days. Our NHS offered a rechargeable version, which is actually bigger, but Phonak don’t guarantee 24hrs, so I steered clear. Anyway, I returned to Audiology 3 times as speech programming was poor, so in 2023 I decided to go private.

As I’d bought a Roger Pen and a Phonak TV Connector, I decided on Phonak Audio Paradise P90 13T (center). These are RIC and take a 13 battery which lasts for 6 days. The Audiologist I chose, generally uses Starkey, but I wanted these because of the modest investment I’d made in accessories. Anyway on his recommendation, he had Slimtip custom molds made, and his programming was night and day better than my local hospital. I bought a 2nd pair of slimtips for the Marvels later (Phonak keep your fitting for a year).

As, like you, I’m tech savvy, I decided to self programme, and bought a Noahlink Wireless, and with help from this very forum, I’ve managed to self programme both pairs.

This year, I picked up a 3rd pair off Ebay, these are Phonak Naida Paradise P30 UP (LHS). These use 675 batteries which last 12-14 days. I can’t really put a reliable time on this as I haven’t solely worn these. I tried these with thin tubes, but the fitting software doesn’t recommend it, and the sound was just weird. These programme well, and if they were my only pair I’d be happy.

Things I’ve learned that may help you decide:

Starkey claim 30+ hours on a charge, but how many years before they degrade? I’ve stuck with disposable battery, as they’re brand new every few days. I also wouldn’t risk rechargeables off ebay. I carry a slim pack of batteries in my wallet, with spares in the car, and numerous places. To me, the charging paraphernalia is too bulky on the go. It takes seconds to change them. I buy them in packs of 60 off Amazon.

The Audiologist is vital. Our NHS setup means you only get short appointments, and sometimes with someone who just doesn’t know what they’re doing. It was easy to blame the hearing aids. I’m glad I didn’t, as I’ve got them to work extremely well. These Marvels are 5 year old technology, but work fully with Android.

I can’t programme as well as my Audiologist, but watched what he did, which also helped.

I generally buy glasses with metal flames, and none of the above cause any issue:

Sorry for waffling on :slight_smile:
Peter

1 Like

Anything from Marvel, Paradise or Lumity ranges.
Jargon to help you understand
M=Marvel (2019) Autosense 3
P=Paradise (2020) Autosense 4
L=Lumity (2022) Autosense 5

30 entry level
50 more features
70 even more features
90 most features :slight_smile:

I dislike Autosense, but I’d recomment 70 or 90

1 Like

I have never even seen Rexton, Philips & Jabra devices nor tested them, so I can’t say anything about them. The fitting softwares for Oticon, Phonak & Starkey are easy to obtain to begin with.

Costco hearing aids has a 6 months trial period for a fee or a refund. If you are new and wants to save some money, then try Costco hearing aids - Philips, Jabra & others.
Wearing hearing aids for the first time is not “holy grail” , It takes time to get used to it.
Don’t rush, takes your time.

1 Like

If you are a Bluetooth fan with an Android phone you’ll love the Phonaks.

2 Likes

Hi, one thing to bear in mind with Phonak rechargeables is that they don’t last that long, for me it’s not too much of an issue as I am chronically sick and don’t get up early or stay up late, even then sometimes my aids are chiming at me with battery alerts by 10:30pm. If you decide you like the Phonaks it would be worth considering the replaceable battery option.

2 Likes

Understand that the old Bluetooth audio that Phonak uses works great with today’s Android and Apple phones and computers, but it is being replaced with Bluetooth LE audio. That’s not necessarily a bad thing if you want Bluetooth to work today with your phone and computer.

When they get the bugs worked out and more equipment that can use the new Bluetooth LE audio comes out, you will be stuck with Phonak’s out-dated Bluetooth. Again, not necessity a bad thing.

Read up on Bluetooth LE audio. So you go in with your eyes open.

Bluetooth LE audio biggest advantage is with broadcast. Think church, theaters, airports and so on. So if you don’t need broadcast, then the old Bluetooth that Phonak uses will work just fine.

Note you need a phone that can use Bluetooth LE audio, currently some Samsung and Google phones. Apple does not use Bluetooth LE audio currently.

If you live within reasonable driving distance from a Costco, then you might want to give them a try as you will save some money, and they offer a 180 day money back trial period. They don’t sell Phonak.

Note that Philips is coming out with the new 9050 sometime this year at Costco, and well have Bluetooth LE audio. The Rexton’s Costco currently sells stated that they plan to release a software update to enable Bluetooth LE audio. Jabra does have Bluetooth LE audio.

Anyhow, don’t let the tail wag the dog. It’s more important to hear folks in a wide range of conditions then Bluetooth.

Look at the apps that these hearing aids use. That may factor in your decision too.

There is a DIY section here on this web site. They can tell you want you need to get started.

This is a very good choice for so many reasons. Especially for a first time hearing aid user. They fit using best practices and sell 3 top of the line hearing aids with great support.

Lots of help here on the forum. Some of it is very bias so be aware.

Good luck

1 Like

Not really true. All aids can connect to a laptop or pc, you just need a secondary device, which are cheap on ebay. It is true that Phonak are the only aids using standard bt without using a secondary device.

Yikes. I personally would not go that route as a 1st time user. You may need many adjustments initially and aids require maintenance, receivers replaced, domes and wax guards changed out and if there are warranty issues you may have a hard time. If you are tech savy, maybe go for it, but Costco sells top aids and you wont spend a penny for 3 years for any supplies, adjustments or warranty issues and at 35 months old, you can send them out to have the rechargeable batteries replaced and the aid inspected and rebuilt for no charge and you basically have new aids again. Also as mentioed, you cant beat their 6 month trial period.

As far as battery life, my new Jabra’s have between 40-60% of battery left at the end of a 15-16 hour day wearing them, with maybe an hour of streaming and my gains are much higher than you require so yours would last even longer. Best wishes

3 Likes

Treating tinnitus is not as simple as turning on the tinnitus feature on a hearing aid. It requires a professional who has a specialty in that field, which is not something which all audiologists necessarily have. Any competent audiologist whom you consult will factor your tinnitus into their treatment plan, so I wouldn’t ignore the tinnitus capabilities of a hearing aid in making your decision. In this regard, Costco does not sell hearing aids with the tinnitus feature activated and therefore would not be a good choice for you IMO.

Starkey has the longest battery life of any hearing aid on the market (51 hours). On the other hand, I’ve had two different highly capable audiologists tell me that they’ve had more problems with the latest Starkey models than with others. So, your decision to look in other directions would seem to make sense.

One way to reduce cost is to look at the second tier model of whichever hearing aid you might consider. Audiologists will normally try to sell you the top tier, but depending on your needs, the top tier diesn’t necessarily justify the cost.

Which hearing aid company you choose is a decision you should make in consultation with an audiologit. As an example, my sister has found Phonak to be the perfect match for her after trying several others, but I tried their L90 and didn’t like it at all. It also has poor battery life and so would nit be a good choice for you. The Oticon Intent, the Widex SmartRIC, and the Signia Pure Charge&Go IX or the Silk IX (both Signia’s with telecoil for best battery life) have comparable battery life and excellent charging systems. I would start with one of them. Having used disposable batteries for y years, I would never go back there after having the benefits of a rechargeable - especially one with a portable charger which stores extra charges.

Secondary device is not something some people want to have to take care of. I would rather an Aid that connects directly then having to make sure my streamer has enough charge.

6 Likes

True, but we all have different opinions on that so it helps to have all options available to make the best choice for each individual user

Most major manufacturers have a RIC device that can be configured fairly comfortably to your hearing loss and user requirements, so don’t lose too much sleep there.

If you are wanting to stream audio from several devices, Sonova brands like Phonak and Unitron that use Bluetooth Classic for audio streaming would be the most capable. However, If you are just looking for connectivity to use a remote control phone app, then most manufacturers should handle that.

If you are a tinkerer, I find that Phonak, Widex, and Resound have the most flexibility in their respective apps, in that order. However, I have several patients in say Oticon who are not that bothered by the lack of app-based flexibility, particularly once we work together and add additional programs. If you are going DIY then all of this may be a moot point.

As far as tinnitus, I tend to say aid the hearing loss first, and then if you want extra sound for tinnitus you can do that by streaming through any of the myriad of third party apps out there.

If you do not want to go the DIY route, you may consider asking about unbundling services from whatever clinic you go to. How this impacts what insurance will cover will depend on your plan and how the codes are submitted, but particularly if you are patient and able to troubleshoot on your own, unbundled can certainly save money for the same equipment.

3 Likes

Even sonova hearing aids will not always reliably connect to a laptop. If that’s an important use case you might be better getting oticon or widex and just grabbing their little Bluetooth dongles. Though sonova is great with Android phones. I wouldn’t call the new Asha Android connections that the others have really stable yet.

But depending on your virtual meeting software, there might be an option to route the audio through your phone. I prefer this for zoom calls anyway because then when my internet cuts out I’m still in the meeting.

3 Likes

You should also know that the ability of the person fitting your hearing aids is at least as important as the type of aids. A good set of aids fit badly may be worse than an average set of aids fit well. A good set of aids programmed well will give you the best results. And give yourself time to get used to them. Lots of noises will really irritate you initially.
If you are able to learn to DIY then you might be happier with the results. You can make small adjustments yourself and give yourself time in the real world to assess the results. There are many DIYers on the forum and lots of information on some of the manufacturer websites in the professional sections. Even if you have professional fitting it is worth knowing what is possible in terms of programming.

3 Likes