Hearing Speech in Background Noise

Oh don’t even get me started, anything that deviates from manufacturer’s defaults turns into an insurmountable task.

1 Like

I could get really into my dislike for DSL adult. I’ll withhold my vent just in case my Audi visits here.

@Reginald

I believe that this is a fatal flaw in our attempts to hear using hearing aids.

With the audiologist that supplied my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R any request resulted in a call to Phonak with me on speaker phone. There’s more, but…

DaveL

1 Like

We’re talking about DSLv5 in the context of steep high frequency loses, which yours is not. Some of us have unaffected (or close to) hearing at lower frequencies, and moderate to severe in high. Such cases require different fitting approaches.

3 Likes

Thanks Reginald!

I find it very difficult learning skills to improve my hearing with the hearing aids I have.
Part of the issue is jargon; a large part is setup.

I considered self programming. A major disadvantage–age/limited skill. A minor disadvantage–I have an iMac with no budget to replace it with a pc.

The forum is somewhat helpful. However, I find I have to spend lots of time to learn a little bit. I’m inclined to read a lot here.

Thanks for your response and patience.

DaveL
Toronto

ps I expect a more accurate audiogram soon; my audi reported significant improvement in my hearing when we parted company. He should pattent his method. :wink:

DL

My app version says 2.6.51.12979.

Do audiologists always use AXFit as a default fitting formula for Signia? And is it difficult to switch to a different formula? I am really curious now as in how it would all sound on a different formula!

steep high frequency 115DB at 4K is pretty steep.

I think he’s saying “steep” ski slopes, as in good down lows, but dropping steeply in the higher frequencies, so yes 115 is profound loss, but your lows start at 80dB (severe)

3 Likes

@Markem
Thank you, yes that’s what I meant.

It is not difficult.
Not the app version, firmware’s

I’m sure your Audiologist will be happy to explain the differences for you, certainly no harm in trying one over the other, your loss is not bad at all, and it seems most do start you off with the default.

The best results for me are when i use the Roger On, and my hearing aid mics are muted. It’s like each person at the table is talking right into my ear. Oh, also, noise block on the Roger program needs to be turned up to strong (or whatever the name is), in Target.

1. hearing aid mics muted
  2. roger program noise block on high
  3. handheld pointing works better than table mode (but both work better than aids).
3 Likes

Here you’ve got it all!

Thank you. I will definitely ask her about this next time I see her!

So when you say the HA mics are MUTED, do you just crank the volume down on them? Cuz I don’t have a “mute” switch on my aids, and if I hold the button down for a few seconds, the aids SHUT OFF completely. That’s not what you mean by muted, eh? Cuz if my aids were turned off, they wouldn’t be connected to the Roger.

I am very intrigued by what works for you. Should I just turn the volume WAY down on my Lumity Life aids and then use the base/charger for my Roger ON iN stick to turn the volume UP? If I remove that ON iN stick from the base, there is no volume control on it at all. Maybe your Roger On is a completely different device?

1 Like

You can mute the aids from the App. This is my Unitron Vivante (equivalent to the Lumity) app:

1 Like

Ah, thank you for that tip, glucas! :slight_smile: You have answered my main question about whether I could “mute” my Lumity Life aids by just turning down the volume, LOL. Looks like it’s a “NOPE!”

I don’t have the myPhonak app on my Samsung Flip-4 cell phone. I guess I was gun-shy from reading many older posts about folks who felt the app was horrific. And ironically, I was just purusing a current thread on the topic, which has left me sitting on the fence even now.

Ack. I would be annoyed if I got the myPhonak app on my cell phone and then found I never used it or it interfered with the aids’ performance.

2 Likes

Isn’t there an app for the Roger On? Seems like people find it useful.

I have mine set up so that a short downward press is volume down, a medium-length press is mute, and a long press is off. Your audi can change those settings in Target.

I use the mute feature that way all the time at work. I’m told it’s less rude than slamming my office door shut because people are talking right outside of it.

4 Likes

Interesting! OK, this is worth pursuing with my audi! Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like