Hearing Speech in Background Noise

@MDB
The app is called MyRogerMic.

I use it in table mode, to select/deselect areas in the room. The MyPhonak app works well with it, for ambient balance.

You can “Mute” the aids, but only via a setting change in Target, as far as I know.

I was in a local government meeting last week, in a public gallery above the speakers. It was very echoey. I took my RogerOn, and have only “Music” and “Comfort in Echo” available on my P90s. My location in the room was poor for the RogerOn, it just amplified all the noises in the public gallery, so I switched it off, after many adjustments in both apps. Comfort in Echo did reduce the echo, but didn’t help with the speech. My default Music gave me best results in this scenario. Everyone on the balcony was struggling to hear, to be honest. Not just hearing aid wearers.

Peter

2 Likes

Thanks Peter

It’s time I read a book again

Hear & Beyond

Shari Elbert’s and Gael Hannan

They talk about a wire or cable buried in the floor of some churches or assembly halls

Hearing aids pick up a signal so we can hear

I need to read the book again…

@DaveL
Likely a Telecoil. I disabled mine, as I only needed it for Roger mics until I got Roger licenses installed. I wish I’d enabled it as the room may have been equiped.

I read that book, very good
Peter

1 Like

I normally use the long press (2 seconds) on the down volume. It does have to be set up in target, on the Device Options tab. You can also mute on the MyPhonak app.

2 Likes

I try to recommend the book when I realize “I read about that, but I forget!”

It’s been a long long fight getting my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s setup. I’m part way there.

I’ve reached a point where I don’t want to touch them in case I mess them up again!

Over the first almost year-and-a half! I couldn’t hear voice in a QUIET area! let alone noisy area. I kept telling my dispensing audiologist that. My new hearing-aid-practitioner has done so much better, but there’s more to do.

DaveL

3 Likes

Very interesting thread.
It seems I must start learning to fit my HA, I still need to decide what HA to buy :slight_smile:
Currently testing Signia Pure 7IX and Phonak Life 90

1. Phonak is consuming the battery like hell
  2. Signia has plenty of battery and somehow I hear a bit better with it
1 Like

@Liviu

I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s that are almost 2 years old. I’ve had setup problems; not the hearing aid’s fault.
A normal day is about 16 hours of use.
If I’ve had to endure Zoom meetings I need to charge by mid afternoon. Otherwise I get through the day.
I have 2 chargers. I use one regularly. My dispensing audi gave me another one to keep with me so I can recharge. That doesn’t work well for me. I work on construction sites from my car.
I’m grateful I have these hearing aids. Long story shortened–compensation for a claim due to noise at work. I didn’t get to select the hearing aids. They replaced previous Phonaks. I would have chosen replacement batteries. These hearing aids are much better than the previous ones I had; I am grateful.

We all have different hearing loss. I hope my comments help you. Caution: my dispensing audi didn’t or couldn’t setup my hearing aids properly. Setup seems to me to be key. So I’ve moved on.

1 Like

well, with phonak i lost battery after 10H
i’m software programmer and having lots of meetings etc etc

with signia, after 7H of non-stop streaming I still have 90% battery :smiley: and what is interesting is that my mobile didnt die as it did with Phonak.

PS.Phonak lost here, I’ll return it (trial)

Question for the smart guys here with experience, is Signia a good HA and great customisations? I’ll try to learn to setup it by my self

2 Likes

Absolutely, Signia holds its weight with all the rest,it’s one my favourite brands, that’s awesome battery consumption, it just goes to show how different the rechargeable market is between brands!

3 Likes

I guess after the firmware for BLUETOOTH LE, it will last even longer.
But also I am concerned about sound quality , speach in noise , music etc etc

And so you should, of course this will be something you’ll need to sort with any brand, as with anything like this (starting a DIY project) you’ll need to do some research before jumping in, Signia has some great videos that make things easier to follow for your projects.

2 Likes

Appreciate it!
will dig into

But, in order to be able to dig into, first I need to buy a pair :slight_smile:

No harm in checking everything out (software wise) before buying, are you going through a clinic or maybe eBay.

going to clinic, yes

OK, got it! If I press down LONG right now, the aids go off. Since I still don’t use MyPhonak app, I’d just need to get in to have my audi set it up. Got me a growing list now …

1 Like

I’m no techie, but I was losing power on my Phonak Lumity Life aids after 11 hours every day … UNTIL I read right on the board here that if I got OS 13 (or newer) on my Android phone, it would extend the life. Indeed, I now get 17.5 hrs per day of use.

An improvement, but still laughable compared to 6 solid days of use on the 13 batteries. Too bad the makers of HAs simply don’t get it. They’ve traded off DAYS and DAYS of battery life for rechargeables that are easier for folks with dexterity issues out there.

2 Likes

Another way to look at it is, you take them out at night anyway, so charging in off hours means they last for years, and never go off at the worst time. If the daily battery life is acceptable, i will never go back to replaceable. There are situations where rechargeable would not work, like work that involves 24hr on, for example.

3 Likes

I have a Marvel based CI and a Phonak Link M HA for the opposite side, also Marvel software.
My experience is that as long as there are no acoustics in the mix, understanding speech works fine. Outside in the garden it’s fine discussing with multiple people. Inside, the more acoustics there are, the worse it gets. I do have a Roger On that helps a bit, but the more pointed beam, it colors the sound in such a way that understanding gets worse too. And the slider in the app should be on the Roger mics only. Meetings at work are horror, I prefer Teams meetings, since there people don’t talk though each other. Plus the subtitles fill the missing parts.
This year I retired so I don’t have to go to work meetings. But every birthday is still a challenge.
The combination CI and HA isn’t good either, it sounds like there is a delay between them. But that’s an other discussion.

1 Like

On a rare occasion, @Don, rechargeable aids will switch off, it happened twice to me, within a couple of weeks, in subzero -0’C, the BMS can kick in, (Battery Management System) this is a known issue with Lithium batteries, the hearing aid manufacturers just neglect to tell you!!! The hearing aids will not reboot, until placed back in the charger dock, it was early morning, and they where fully charged on both occasions, and I was out in the sticks, with 5 very challenging offenders, working on a remote farm, as a lone worker (Supervisor) with The Criminal Justice System, and no means of communication, if they kicked off!!! Fortunately for me, they behaved… But it was an extremely stressful couple of days, so much so, I was worried, and extremely disappointed with these rechargeable Marvel aids, the following day, I went to see my A.uD, I never asked, I demanded they take them back, even if I was out of the 60 days trial period (which I was) the aids where putting me at risk, and an unacceptable risk at that… Phonak, to their credit, didn’t argue or quibble, and replaced them with the Marvel 90 13’s, happy days… Cheers Kev :grin:

5 Likes

And so many more situations that’ve been posted here and there as we all beat the drum for bringing back the battery aids.

For me, any int’l flight requires a battery aid (oh, I do pack a gear kit with portable battery pack, the charging base and yada yada, but let’s keep it simple) so I can sail through Customs without going DEAF at the wrong moment. Also, camping, where I’ve yet to encounter a tree with a power outlet. Or staying at some rustic motels where power outlets aren’t all over the place.

And the list goes on. It’s about convenience, no clutter AND longer battery life.

5 Likes