Hearing Speech in Background Noise

Very possible. But since they both had an older Starkey it made me wonder if her problem with sounds behind her could be that Starkey has gone to a more open architecture…? All I know is what happened at lunchtime, I don’t know the cause.

Which is it? Brand new or older?

1 Like

@billgem

Could the hearing aids be ok, and the setup be terrible?

I believe this industry has fatal flaws. I know I’ve suffered and don’t know the solution.

A good setup is precious. I’m so happy that I finally can hear with my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s. I found a practitioner that worked for Sonova. He set mine up so I can hear.

DaveL
Toronto

3 Likes

I dont understand speech in a background noise of other people voices
İ’ll be more succesful with a song

And I will always love you

Sorry for being off topic

3 Likes

Both of them said that they were wearing new Starkey HA. That’s what I was told. Since their son-in-law is employed at Starkey I presume that he has gotten them into the latest Starkey. All I know for a fact is that she has been wearing HA for several years, so she has experience. And she took them out and put them away because she said that the sounds behind her were distracting.

2 Likes

@Torbill

I’ve had that issue too.
First hearing aid was a single Widex in the ear.

I could hear conversations 60 feet behind me; I couldn’t hear or understand someone on the other side of the table.

Now–in the hospital with my Phonak Paradise P90R’s I couldn’t hear the doctor talk at the end of the bed. I was lying down being admitted for a heart procedure. I could hear the patients 25 feet behind me and the doctor talking to them. Was it because my setup was so bad? Don’t know.
DaveL

1 Like

Audiogram please. Thank you.:star_struck:

I need the person I want to talk to be 8db (over 4 times) above background speech in order to understand them without reading lips so I’ve got a severe case of needing to tune my hearing aids IN the environment and not have to go back to the audiologist and play long distance trial and error.

1. Controlling the directionality of the hearing aid mics is crucial IN the environment via a phone app; however, this isn’t enough
  2. Having presets where the left side is down 2db and the right is up 4db works when the conversation is on my right.
  3. Having the opposite preset when the conversation is on my left is also needed.
    Having these offsets combined with controlling the directionality of the mics and the person of interest being closer than the background works for me.
    Then when all else fails, having a Bluetooth lapel mic to give to my wife will at least let me talk to her and the person next to her.
    The MyStarkey app left out directionality controls for the Genisis line, so I’m back to their Evolv with their bloated Thrive app.
1 Like

Sounds like you need a bit of DIY, most of us who do, the best way to program your HAs is to do this so in that actual environment, so it’s pretty easy to take along your laptop and Noahlink to your local mall or wherever, order a cappuccino and start making adjustments on the fly, takes a bit of time and usually a few trips to dial them in, but just to point out that HAs do not restore your hearing, they are an “aid”

Cheers.

1 Like

The Executives at Starkey screwed up when they eliminated controls from the MyStarkey app for the Genisis line that were in the Thrive app for the Evolv and previous lines.
What is Noahlink? Does it work with the Starkey Genisis and Evolv lines?

@tenkan

I really have contemplated taking my Laptop & Noahlink to the pub. Not had the courage yet.

4 Likes

Noahlink Wireless

I expect it would work as Starkey is one of the manufacturers listed but you need a Windows computer and the programming software from Starkey to use it. I suggest you look at the DYI section of the forum for details. Note that older aids typically used a wired interface to the aids rather than low energy bluetooth for programming and firmware updates.

2 Likes

Ha ha yeah that could be a little different from your local mall, but I guess if you kinda makes it less obvious then usual, no one would know what your actually doing ; )

1 Like

You absolutely should. I’ve taken mine to the noisiest cafeteria I could find several times so I could test out tweaks in real time.

2 Likes

Go for it, nobody is going to know if you’re doing your Christmas email or not.

The difficulty usually is (mainly due to the Lombard effect) that you can’t raise the ambient signal over the speech you want to hear in a graduated way, to work out if your real time changes are effective vs actual changes in SNR.

4 Likes

Can you tell me more about Signia? I have used Silk 7 IX for three weeks now (my first hearing aid) and I am not too happy in a restaurant. But may be there is something I am not doing well.

Have you shared your experience with your hearing care professional, Alexandre, so that s/he can make an adjustment. My experience with the Signia Pure Charge&Go 7AX was very positive in a restaurant. However, I did have to go back for a major adjustment after the initial fitting. Things were great after that. I would expect the IX to be even better. I can’t speak to the differences between the Pure and the Silk, but your HCP should be able to. Good luck.

Yeah the problem is the Silk only have one mic without the Augmented Focus built in, so the Silk will never be as good as the Pure models unfortunately.

1 Like

Hey, I’ll send you MY Phonak Lumity Life aids. Take 'em to your fave pub. Have a tall beer on ME. Do the Noahlink necessary and send my aids back home to me with whatever would EVER make them better for comprehending speech in LOUD, rowdy joints.

Deal?
:wink:

I may be an outlier saying that the Roger ON iN is simpy NOT the final solution for speech in loud places. Oh, it’s great at amplifying all that noise in a shattering, public address-type quality of sound, but as for helping my aids beam on SPEECH? BwaaaaHAAAHAAA!

4 Likes

It took me almost a year to get my Signias where I wanted them to be and currently I can hear in noisy environments quite fine.
BUT, I’m using behind-the-ear Stylettos (7AX), which (as already mentioned) have more microphones.
The modifications that I’ve required are tied to my type of hearing loss (high frequency, extreme slope) and your needs will be most likely different.
I had my fitting algorithm switched from manufacturers default(AXFit/IXFit) to DSLv5, which is better suited for high frequency losses and uses less compression. With this change I can finally hear all the whispery, hushed, tiny noises I’ve been struggling with.
I have just three programs.

1. Universal
  2. Copy of Universal, with all automation and smart stuff turned off
  3. Musicians (which focuses on fidelity and also has most of processing and automation turned off)

in social settings, even noisy ones, 2 and 3 work best for me.
Number 3 has feedback management turned off, which requires a good fit, usually with earmolds, but for me domes/sleeves are enough.

7AX/IX levels have extended range/bandwidth (10khz+) but it had to be manually pulled up since software and fitting algorithms don’t take it into account.

Environmental processing setting was changed to low (it processes/moves the planes of sound, closer and further from you) meaning that I get more sound from the environment, by default it’s balanced.

Noise management for each programme was set to per band/manual, where it only affects low frequency/rumbly sounds.

I don’t use the “Noisy Environment” programme at all, Instead I just use the Universal one and narrow the cone of focus via the app, which will cut the desired amount of noise out. I found the automatic noise management to be really annoying and ineffective.

And finally I did In-situ testing of my hearing via my hearing aids, with per 1dB accuracy (5dB is the default for hearing tests)

You having them for 3 weeks probably means that they’re still in “acclimatisation mode” which means that they will progressively get louder as to not overwhelm you, before they reach their full potential (the time for it can vary from weeks to months, depending on what your fitter deemed applicable. It can be turned off for more experienced users)

1 Like