Hearing Speech in Background Noise

The best results for me are when i use the Roger On, and my hearing aid mics are muted. Itā€™s like each person at the table is talking right into my ear. Oh, also, noise block on the Roger program needs to be turned up to strong (or whatever the name is), in Target.

1. hearing aid mics muted
  2. roger program noise block on high
  3. handheld pointing works better than table mode (but both work better than aids).
3 Likes

Here youā€™ve got it all!

Thank you. I will definitely ask her about this next time I see her!

So when you say the HA mics are MUTED, do you just crank the volume down on them? Cuz I donā€™t have a ā€œmuteā€ switch on my aids, and if I hold the button down for a few seconds, the aids SHUT OFF completely. Thatā€™s not what you mean by muted, eh? Cuz if my aids were turned off, they wouldnā€™t be connected to the Roger.

I am very intrigued by what works for you. Should I just turn the volume WAY down on my Lumity Life aids and then use the base/charger for my Roger ON iN stick to turn the volume UP? If I remove that ON iN stick from the base, there is no volume control on it at all. Maybe your Roger On is a completely different device?

1 Like

You can mute the aids from the App. This is my Unitron Vivante (equivalent to the Lumity) app:

1 Like

Ah, thank you for that tip, glucas! :slight_smile: You have answered my main question about whether I could ā€œmuteā€ my Lumity Life aids by just turning down the volume, LOL. Looks like itā€™s a ā€œNOPE!ā€

I donā€™t have the myPhonak app on my Samsung Flip-4 cell phone. I guess I was gun-shy from reading many older posts about folks who felt the app was horrific. And ironically, I was just purusing a current thread on the topic, which has left me sitting on the fence even now.

Ack. I would be annoyed if I got the myPhonak app on my cell phone and then found I never used it or it interfered with the aidsā€™ performance.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t there an app for the Roger On? Seems like people find it useful.

I have mine set up so that a short downward press is volume down, a medium-length press is mute, and a long press is off. Your audi can change those settings in Target.

I use the mute feature that way all the time at work. Iā€™m told itā€™s less rude than slamming my office door shut because people are talking right outside of it.

4 Likes

Interesting! OK, this is worth pursuing with my audi! Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MDB
The app is called MyRogerMic.

I use it in table mode, to select/deselect areas in the room. The MyPhonak app works well with it, for ambient balance.

You can ā€œMuteā€ the aids, but only via a setting change in Target, as far as I know.

I was in a local government meeting last week, in a public gallery above the speakers. It was very echoey. I took my RogerOn, and have only ā€œMusicā€ and ā€œComfort in Echoā€ available on my P90s. My location in the room was poor for the RogerOn, it just amplified all the noises in the public gallery, so I switched it off, after many adjustments in both apps. Comfort in Echo did reduce the echo, but didnā€™t help with the speech. My default Music gave me best results in this scenario. Everyone on the balcony was struggling to hear, to be honest. Not just hearing aid wearers.

Peter

2 Likes

Thanks Peter

Itā€™s time I read a book again

Hear & Beyond

Shari Elbertā€™s and Gael Hannan

They talk about a wire or cable buried in the floor of some churches or assembly halls

Hearing aids pick up a signal so we can hear

I need to read the book againā€¦

@DaveL
Likely a Telecoil. I disabled mine, as I only needed it for Roger mics until I got Roger licenses installed. I wish Iā€™d enabled it as the room may have been equiped.

I read that book, very good
Peter

1 Like

I normally use the long press (2 seconds) on the down volume. It does have to be set up in target, on the Device Options tab. You can also mute on the MyPhonak app.

2 Likes

I try to recommend the book when I realize ā€œI read about that, but I forget!ā€

Itā€™s been a long long fight getting my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90Rā€™s setup. Iā€™m part way there.

Iā€™ve reached a point where I donā€™t want to touch them in case I mess them up again!

Over the first almost year-and-a half! I couldnā€™t hear voice in a QUIET area! let alone noisy area. I kept telling my dispensing audiologist that. My new hearing-aid-practitioner has done so much better, but thereā€™s more to do.

DaveL

3 Likes

Very interesting thread.
It seems I must start learning to fit my HA, I still need to decide what HA to buy :slight_smile:
Currently testing Signia Pure 7IX and Phonak Life 90

1. Phonak is consuming the battery like hell
  2. Signia has plenty of battery and somehow I hear a bit better with it
1 Like

@Liviu

I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90Rā€™s that are almost 2 years old. Iā€™ve had setup problems; not the hearing aidā€™s fault.
A normal day is about 16 hours of use.
If Iā€™ve had to endure Zoom meetings I need to charge by mid afternoon. Otherwise I get through the day.
I have 2 chargers. I use one regularly. My dispensing audi gave me another one to keep with me so I can recharge. That doesnā€™t work well for me. I work on construction sites from my car.
Iā€™m grateful I have these hearing aids. Long story shortenedā€“compensation for a claim due to noise at work. I didnā€™t get to select the hearing aids. They replaced previous Phonaks. I would have chosen replacement batteries. These hearing aids are much better than the previous ones I had; I am grateful.

We all have different hearing loss. I hope my comments help you. Caution: my dispensing audi didnā€™t or couldnā€™t setup my hearing aids properly. Setup seems to me to be key. So Iā€™ve moved on.

1 Like

well, with phonak i lost battery after 10H
iā€™m software programmer and having lots of meetings etc etc

with signia, after 7H of non-stop streaming I still have 90% battery :smiley: and what is interesting is that my mobile didnt die as it did with Phonak.

PS.Phonak lost here, Iā€™ll return it (trial)

Question for the smart guys here with experience, is Signia a good HA and great customisations? Iā€™ll try to learn to setup it by my self

2 Likes

Absolutely, Signia holds its weight with all the rest,itā€™s one my favourite brands, thatā€™s awesome battery consumption, it just goes to show how different the rechargeable market is between brands!

3 Likes

I guess after the firmware for BLUETOOTH LE, it will last even longer.
But also I am concerned about sound quality , speach in noise , music etc etc

And so you should, of course this will be something youā€™ll need to sort with any brand, as with anything like this (starting a DIY project) youā€™ll need to do some research before jumping in, Signia has some great videos that make things easier to follow for your projects.

2 Likes