Hearing Loss In Musicians Survey

Hello everyone,

I’m a master’s student studying Music at Edinburgh Napier University based in Edinburgh(Scotland, UK).

As part of my major project I’m currently undertaking research into hearing loss, specifically, hearing loss among adult hobbyist, amateur, and professional musicians. I’m particularly interested in the experiences of musicians with a hearing loss (sensorineural, conductive, mixed) and how your hard-of-hearing impacts your performance. This could be the effects of particular characteristics (pitch/frequency/volume) or if you struggle to hearing your instrument/neighbouring instruments. I cover a range of themes/topics within this study.

I’m reaching out to this community because I am looking for hard-of-hearing musicians to participate in a short informal twelve-question survey around nature of your hearing loss and your experiences of hearing loss as a musician in practice. I welcome hard-of-hearing adult musicians from all backgrounds/experience/ability and from a range of locations around the world. In line with data protection and Edinburgh Napier University’s ethics/integrity process you will be anonymised and your answers will be used in confidentiality and for the purposes of this research study as I will be using your answers to inform research framework and for discussion/reflection/evaluation.

This survey can be accessed at the following link: https://forms.gle/qjevjVUz5GfPcqJR9

If you have questions about my research or survey please do not hesitate to contact me.

I look forward to your responses and hearing from you in due course.

Thank you and all the best,

Michael

Michael Parker
40322674@live.napier.ac.uk
Student, MA Music, Edinburgh Napier University
Tomlin Centre for Music - Merchiston Campus
Edinburgh Napier University
10 Colinton Rd
Edinburgh, Scotland
EH10 5DT

2 Likes